BIRTHDAY WINE - HELP A BROTHER OUT

A year goes by and it’s my birthday all over again. Normally I mark the occassion by crying myself to sleep but this year I thought I would help friends and family out by providing a BDay Manifesto. Part of it will consist of what some members of this board have called “SPAM and NONESENSE”, while the other half will be a list of wines & gifts I consider to be acceptable given my age and worldview. The question to the community is thus: What wine should I be listing as tribute? Price is something to factor in here as my son has little pocket money to call his own and there is the obvious question of who will buy the wine for him given his tender age of 1.5 years. So give me a list of 3 wines I should include on my BDAY MANIFESTO. Don’t be shy. I appreciate all contributions.

Without any insight as to your age and worldview, I submit that any of the presently-available 2008 tete de cuvee Champagnes would be enjoyable. 2008 La Grande Dame is particularly delicious right now to my age and worldview. To fill the other two slots in, I’d suggest a red and still white. A Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis will satisfy and is reasonable in the Burgundy price spectrum. Dr. Loosen Spatlesen from Urziger Wurzgarten or Wehlener Sonnenuhr both provide versatility and delicousness.

Cheers and happy birthday,
fred

Great recs Fred. I particularly enjoyed the 2004 La Grande Dame (had out of magnum earlier this year and it was SINGING).

The 2008 is head and shoulders above 2004 and 2006 to my tastes. The 2008 Dom is better than the 2006, but not showing its full potential right now. I haven’t tried the Cristal, but discussion at a tasting this weekend was that it was in need of some time to come together. It also is priced above the others so I didn’t call it out - I’m looking out for Junior’s wallet here.

fred

Petrus - The Wish List (Vieux Chateau Certan as a proxy) from the royalty side of the family

Montrose/Leoville Barton/Lalande - The High-End Gift from someone that loves you

Sociando/Cantemerle - The Budget choice for smart buyers, people that know you

Lanessan - The poor wine from your redneck cousin

I will admit that this is my birthday wish list, I don’t know you. :wink:

One idea
A27F0C1C-A0AB-47F0-8D5C-5061690B2587.jpeg

I find your list acceptable but strangely lacking in Loire gems. I sense this was an intentional oversight on your part. I respect the gamesmanship.

A thousand curses upon you. You trolled my offline fiesta over the weekend and now this! This is a birthday wishlist, show some common decency. I hope your most valued wine order is shipped mid July without cold chain. Reap what you sow.

2008 Dom
2016 Montrose
2016 Dönnhoff NH Spätlese Magnum

Just for fun and relatively inexpensive a mag of Muscadet Briords and a mag of Tempier Rose.

Guigal La Mouline and Chave Hermitage

They age effortlessly.

I need me some Donnhoff NH Spatlese in magnum something fierce.

That’s also a bingo on the mag of Tempier Rose…picking up an order of those later today.

La Mouline would be a tough one for me. Of course would be super appreciative but stylistically not my jam. But…a quick hop, slip and a jump to CC and I could turn it into something I love and make someone else happy in the process. PAY IT FORWARD.

If you like Bordeaux:
2009 Montrose
2009 Pontet Canet

If you like Cali Cab:
2013 Myriad Dr. Crane
2013 River Marie Cab

If you like something else, do tell.

Is there any question?? 2016 CA Cabs so that you may argue from information.

Then switch it to La Turque :slight_smile:

A Vatan Pinot Noir which didn’t suffer from bacterial spoilage.

Birthday was a big success. I bought all of the wines people recommended, assigned them to friends and family and submitted CashApp/Venmo/PayPal invoices to the applicable parties. I think this is a terrific way to cut through the BS and ensure that everyone feels like they did a bang up job as a gift giver.

I’m glad that you were paid appropriate tribute. What did you son get assigned? The age and lack of spending money must have presented an interesting challenge. Please post notes.

“Loire gems?” That’s like jumbo shrimp and hip-hop melody