TN: 2011 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino

[cheers.gif]

• 2011 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (6/2/2019)
    15%! Well-made, just not my thing as I get closer to giving up on BdM. Bright red coloring. Can smell some oak and the 15% on the nose. It’s full bodied, slightly rich, but clean and cool. Very primary. Long and chewy, probably needs 5 years for things to further integrate and develop some tertiary elements. Tasty with my steak, but tiring at the same time.

Posted from CellarTracker

I find that I like BdM from north of the town much better typically than the southern side. but I would also say you can’t judge BdM by a 15% wine!

Good point. My recent explorations have been mostly south side. Have some from the north I’ve yet to open. Hoping that makes a difference as I;ve yet to be wowed.

Le Ragnaie is neither a north or south producer as they are located a short walk from village center. That is why they have the highest elevation vineyards in Montalcino. 15% is likely more related to vintage than style due to the heat.

'11 was a pretty horrid vintage, with many wines both high in alcohol AND underripe tannins due to the high heat and necessity of early harvesting at many vineyards. I think I only bought a couple of bottles from 1-2 producers in '11. 15% alcohol in BdM is pretty rare even for the most modern wines (Uccelliera, Casanova di Neri’s Tenuta Nuova, etc.).

Thanks Kelly and John for continued data points.
I fear, however, that there aren’t many excuses remaining for why BdM just does not appeal to me.
Different strokes.

Yeah, BdM is a wine that, for many people, does not trip their trigger. That includes the Italians. Most BdM is exported to Germany and the US. Very distinct from sangiovese grown in the Classico region which I tend to prefer. But Le Ragnaie is one of my favorites along with Cerbaiona.

thats interesting. in general I’ve really liked the 2011s I’ve had. but I’ve also been careful to stick to some of my most trusted producers and thats it. they definitely don’t compare to the 2013s and 2010s from the same producers typically though.

I opened one this weekend also and was disappointed. It was good, but it just lacked any tannins or acidity, or anything else to remember it.