Added: even crappier TN's but cool photographs; a second charity tasting 06/08/19

Here’s a photo taken at the end of a wine tasting. We had donated it to a charity auction for a local family support center dedicated to ending child abuse.
Three generous couples; the theme was (loosely) classic pairings. I was busy trying to host and cook and serve and clean, so I didn’t get to try everything or analyze anything. My notes are posted in the order of uncorking.

2006 Taittinger Champagne BdB Comtes
It was another lush and beautiful bottle, and a good one to open at the start, as it impresses on its own, before the dishes were served. It soon paired perfectly with smoked wild salmon carpaccio with traditional accompaniments. I expected this to be magnificent and it didn’t let me down.

2008 Dom Pérignon
Served with Calvisius Caviar, again with traditional accompaniments. This was the first Dom I’ve had this young that I really liked. It lived up to its hype. Marybeth didn’t get any of the first bottle so I later opened another. I ordered many more as soon as the party was over.

2011 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard & 2015 Dauvissat-Camus Chablis La Forest
The Dauvissat suggested a warm vintage and is a bit young, but still very nice.
The Ceritas was fresh, tasty and I need to start buying these again.

2001 Château Suduiraut & 2003 Château Rieussec
Served with seared foie gras.
I didn’t get a sip of the Rieussec, but a small part of it made and excellent sauternes and grapefruit juice reduction sauce.
The Suduiraut confirmed the wisdom of my massive reload after I had first tasted it in late 2018.

1974 Fontanafredda Barolo & 2005 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco
Paired with Inaudi Egg Tagliolini, truffle butter and ample fresh black summer truffles.
The old boy was a beauty, benefiting from a long decant after standing for three months. It continued to improve throughout the night. The Ratti seemed midway between traditional and modern, maybe leaning a little toward the latter. Slightly softer than expected; beautiful fruit.

2005 Château Brane-Cantenac & 2005 Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Paired with seared Flannery New York Strips, caramelized red Cipolline onions and a creamy garlic lemon Aioli.
A rich, muscular Margaux, it surprised me; simply magnificent. The Boudreaux was rich, lush, but had a little prominent alcohol on the finish.

We finished the night with 1994 Warre Porto Vintage, paired with Colston Bassett Stilton cheese and Theo chocolates. This was another “wow” wine, equally sweet and savory. Reload if possible.

Here are some photos. I was negligent in both photographing and tasting, but we all had wonderful night while helping a noble cause.
IMG_6066 (2).jpg

Great notes AND great photos!

I really need to get a couple of bottles of the 08 Dom.

Make it a couple of cases.

Wow, did you do all the cooking? Amazing!
I never stopped buying Ceritas and I’m very happy you turned me on to them. I’m finding I really like their Chardonnay at age 7 or so, really special wines I think.
Where did you get the black truffles?

Wow!

Great notes, great dishes, great pics, and a great cause!

You hit a solid home run, man!

Favorite note of 2019, so far!

Thanks Neal. Your really do need some. I’m not usually a DP fan, but this is special.

I would if I could!

Marc,
I did all of the cooking, but for the tray from Old World Deli and the Salmon Carpaccio from Saltine.
The truffles and caviar were handled by https://epicurusgourmet.com. Hillary is great, and I’ve made several purchases. I’ll post a picture of my remaining truffle. They were huge for this time of year, and very fresh.

We agree on the Ceritas. I think they’ll be awesome long term agers, and can kinda scratch my Burg itch without premox.

WT

Great notes and photos Warren, Dang, now you have me hungry and thirsty.

Tom

We had a tasting last night, another we had donated at a charity auction (Hospice House). Same theme; classic pairings. Many of the same wines. No tasting notes; I was too busy with prep.
2012 Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Rosé; Marybeth and I needed something while we worked before the guests arrived
2006 Taittinger Comtes; 2 bottles, served with smoked salmon carpaccio
2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne; 2 bottles, served with Calvisius caviar, chopped eggs, créme fraîche, toast points
2016 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard a little for cooking, and then served with charcuterie
NV René-Henri Coutier Champagne BdB; special request for more bubbles!
2001 Château Suduiraut; with fresh Hudson Valley seared foie gras, apple/quince/chardonnay purée and grapefruit juice + sweet Chenin Blanc reduction
2003 Château Rieussec; also with foie gras
1993 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Haut-Lieu; with foie gras. Opened at my friend’s request, his late daughter’s birth year
1964 Nervi Gattinara with Inaudi Egg Tagliolini and an abundance of fresh black summer truffles. This was really good
2004 Conterno Fantino Barolo Mosconi; with truffles
1995 Château Gruaud Larose; with seared Flannery New York strips and garlic aioli. Requested as it is also my friend’s daughter’s birth year. This was great, as long as you don’t mind a little oak and a lot of cedar. I loved it.
1990 Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve; with steak. This was a nice surprise, gorgeous and elegant.
1985 Graham Porto Vintage; with stilton. Very ethereal, light bodied for VP. I love it.
NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé; another request for more bubbles!
Great event for an even greater cause. When my recyclables are picked up at the curb, they’re going to be leaving me AA cards again…

Cheers,
Warren
IMG_6078.jpg
IMG_6079.jpg
IMG_6086 (1).jpg
IMG_9861.jpg
IMG_6081.jpg
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_9876.jpeg
IMG_9849.jpeg

Wow again!

Two things:

1. Higher rez pics of the Cellar!

2. We are about to replace our deck, what is yours? The texture looks interesting!

Warren,

If I may add to Anton’s questions.

1. What approx price do these tasting sell for?

2. Is online bidding available?

I’ll post a photo of my messy cellar soon; I’ll have to take a better one.
The deck is pretty basic; cedar planks, hogwire fencing.

$2-2.5K. I think as more people attend, the bids may go up.

Cheers,
Warren