TN: 2006 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro (with slow-and-low Bolognese sauce)

Popped this forum favorite to see how it is going, with two bottles total remaining, looks like I let the other one wait a bit, perhaps 5 more years. Will be great with the Bolognese, however, as it has all the acid and structure needed for a rich, meaty sauce.

• 2006 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro - Italy, Campania, Roccamonfina IGT (6/1/2019)
    Gorgeous nose, filled with a mixed berry pie aroma, definitely agree with other tasters on the Bordeaux-like qualities on the nose as well, with olive oil, saddle leather, darker florals (violet, etc). Really popping with acidity, and it almost buries the fruit a bit (will see in a couple hours how it comes around) - perhaps in a bit of a closed phase, as the nose is so very expressive but the palate is still quite clunky and disjointed, and the fruit bears almost no sweetness at this point. Some apply peel-like tannic structure/flavor is interesting. Rich mouthfeel despite the strong acidity, has some weight to it. Bitter/stemmy on the finish, darker berry profile.

One of the kids has been pestering me to make our family ragu recipe (carrots, fennel seeds, wine, milk, meat etc.) but it just feels like its too hot out west for this. We had fettucini with clams/lemons/parsley instead.

1 Like

Try an ‘08 if you have one. Surprisingly more accessible

I have only the '06, had 4 of them, down to one now, so I need to let this one rest a bit longer

Thanks for this tip! I have 6 ‘08s and based on this I opened one last night. Delicious and ready to go! I wouldn’t sit on this for more than another 5-6 years. It may be just fine for longer than that, but it drinks so well now that I see more downside risk than upside benefit…