TNs--Mike (and dad and friends) last night in Vegas--Del Friscos

I had ordered that we find a steakhouse for dad and Bernie complied by getting us into Del Friscos. There (where Bernie is well-known and the rest of us exerted our charms :slight_smile: ) we were treated like royalty by about 5 servers. And the steaks? Not bad. Caution, though–do NOT order the onion rings unless you’re really hungry! They could ship them to Japan and spray-paint them for use in the Olympics, they were so big. Delicious though!

A Margaine Premier Cru NV Champagne

FMIII needs to taste this if he hasn’t yet. Really different from yesterday’s, this is truly sublime and is all-interesting all of the time. Nose already starts out with a more brioche-and-baked apple presence, but it’s not oxidated at all. Instead, it drives a darling combination of hay, buttered asparagus, sweetened salt, dried apple and even honey and truffle notes later in the evening. Always showing something new with each sip and a beautiful feel to the mousse and acid, I said to Jay that this reminds me of nothing so much as a Raul Perez Sketch in sparkling form. No sham to say this is the best Champagne I’ve had this year (and that includes Krug 164) and 92+ with a chance to find its way onto the WOTY list. Big thanks to Jay for contributing this.

2017 Bevan Cellars Ontogeny

Another infant sacrificed. Ah well, all in the name of discovery! So thrilled that Bernie brought this for me to try. In this vintage, the cab franc is all over the wine. Green and black pepper on the nose, other lightly toasted herbs and dark blackberry fruit. Spreads out in the mouth with plum and cassis added and a long, long finish. I admonished Bernie not to touch another bottle for 10 years at least and it’s much too early to say, but this may be Russell’s best Ontogeny yet and could evolve into something quite special in a decade or two.

2014 Cattelya Sonoma Syrah

Glad to spend time with this, which I have hurried sips of at most at FallTacular. Real change of pace here, this demonstrates a tinge of meats around a base of plum and unripe blueberry scents. Taste-wise, it’s light on its feet and, while having good red fruit and herbed character with dashes of cedar, it mists away on the finish. Won’t be for everyone and not a vin de garde, but I liked this for not being more or less than it is.

Mike

Those are great notes.

I also love good service, sounds like a great experience you had!

As a Berserker and Flannery fan, restaurants have no hope to slay me with their meat, but I love the ambience and relaxed service of a fine steakhouse.

Do you have a favorite restaurant for steak?

I really don’t, Anton–don’t have it that often. Here in Toronto, it’s probably Jacob. Carmichael’s in Chicago was a nice experience on the whole and Craftsteak in Vegas wasn’t bad either. I did like this one. But agreed, the best steaks I’ve eaten have been Flannery products off of various Berserkers’ grills.

Interesting thoughts on the Ontogeny. Another early data point on the 17 vintage. Aren’t ontogenys usually big and fruity? Didn’t sound like that was the case this go around?

There was fruit, Nick—just that this time I found the CF characteristics to have plenty of say as well. Russell said that he got his fruit in just in time to avoid the fire.