TNs--Mike (and dad and friends) in Vegas--return to LOS + after-dinner fascination

After 10 years away, I returned to (the new location of) Lotus of Siam. With me were my dad, BBer Jay Shampur, our friend Bernie Schwartz (well known to FallTacular attendees) and Jay’s sister and brother-in-law who I was meeting for the first time. The new-ish digs are almost swank. The high quality of service has stayed constant. And the food? Still very good quality, fine freshness of the ingredients. But sensationally distinctive? No, I can’t say that. I’d have to think about coming back. We pretty much ordered off the list except for the champagne, but the list, too, has faded just slightly with respect to older bottles (which is, perhaps, fair—the restaurant doesn’t want to keep an inventory going and going).

Taittinger NV Brut Champagne

I love the Comtes bottling. This has the building blocks of that wine without the extra prestige and class, but it has plenty of verve and drive, with good toasty and light ginger notes. Not a lot of fruit, more about the structure. Much thanks to Bernie for bringing this starter.

2010 Emrich-Schonleber Halenberg Grosse Lage Ries

I was put in charge of list ordering and this, which Count Lipyanskiy had mentioned to me as a house, caught my eye immediately. Boy, am I glad he weighed in. The bouquet has more than its share of mystery, some steel weaving through light apple and ginger whisks. This wine makes it on the palate, where it is exquisite, sublime and profound all at the same time. It’s been difficult at times for me to connote Riesling with “the noble grape”, but that descriptor fits here. Silky and steely at the same time, with yellow and white fruit notes, it’s a revelation, and stays the course a day or two later. 93 and definitely in the WOTY conversation. I do love this more structured and linear vintage, both here and in Austria and Alsace

2004 Hexamer Meddersheimer Rheingrafenberg Ries Spat

Knew I wanted contrast, and this was totally it. I seem to be getting better at this—amazing when you think that Ries was a no-go area for me about 6 or 7 years ago. A terrific change of pace from the Emrich-Schonleber and a picture-perfect spat, aroma is redolent with apple strudel and some melon sidebar. It has a fine buttery feel and buttercream apple tart flavours. Probably not getting better, but plenty of time left, and predictably went well with many of the Thai dishes, the concentration of the wine being formidable.

The after-dinner fascination came with Bernie and I stopping in at Ferraro’s. On their list was the 2012 Emidio Pepe Colli Aprutini Pecorino. I’d never had his Pecorino before and it was flat-out amazing juice. Creamy with some lanolin feel and also hints of buttered greens, pear paste, unripe banana and some marzipan, it also reflected some freshness and minerality at the same time when it was on my tongue. Descriptors are hard, but here’s one. It reminded me truly of a non-flawed right-place bottle of Chateau Simone. Pepe is a wine-whisperer of the first order.

A bientot, reports on the other 2 days are forthcoming.

Mike

Mike, there are local Berserkers?

Few people can make Pecorino sound that beguiling, but Mike’s one of them!

Nice combination of wines for LOS, though the more I read about the restaurant the more I wish I had gone to it back when they were a forum darling. At least they still have some decent options on the wine list, huh? Not like the ‘old days’, of course, where LOS was a mini-Bern’s (but only with Riesling) but those damn wine geeks came in and drank it all up

I remember dining at LOS back in my Squires/Parker Board days, when it was in the midst of a remote strip mall, jam packed with customers waiting to get in and had a great wine list,also jam packed, with Rieslings…We took our daughter there for her 21st birthday…Samantha is now 31 and married. I think they attempted an East Coast iteration, that did not do well.

It was never a “Bern’s”, by any means. Back in the '90s entire wine menu was a 2-sided long page, though prices were truly retail. Stems were not as good, though. Entire place was 2 rooms, what you see on you left hand side as you walk in, and what you now see on your right, the large room, wine cellar and bar, is there after they expanded a while back.

Food, despite many reviews here, was also better, IMO, back in the day. Again, much shorter menu than it has been in recent times.

They are opening one a few minutes from me, it will be a good option, for sure, and although there is a ton of good Thai places all over Vegas, wine menu at LOS makes for a destination. Can’t explain it, and why, but Thai food in Vegas is definitely a step up from anything I used to have in SF area.

I don’t know how much of the food decline ties in with their longtime manager, Bank, leaving for Chada. The list is still formidable–just not all-encompassing. Jon–the strip mall location was my last time there.

I was there last month. Very much agree. Bank’s new place, Lamaii, was excellent. Wine list rounding to form.

Gotta say, I was just back after a too-long (9 year) hiatus to Thai Sa On in Calgary and it kicks LOS’ butt, absolutely reconfirms itself as my favourite Thai restaurant ever.

I know…Calgary!

Mike

I have not been to LOS in a number of years, but went countless times back in the day before it’s first expansion and after. I was worried that when it expanded it would suffer - it did not. I have not been since it moved.

Back in the day, the wine list was incredible - not the printed list. It was all about Bank. He’s the most lovely fellow, and once you got to know him, you’d just call a few days ahead of time, tell him what you were looking for, and he’d have it there in the restaurant from their off-site stash. Some of the finest auction rieslings I’ve ever had in a restaurant, all at patron friendly pricing.

LOS has always been a gem and Bank as well.