Personal Collection of Rudi Weist @ Acker

Upcoming auction at Acker 218 lots of German wine from Rudi Wiest’s personal collection.

71 Egon Scharzofberger Beerenauslese GK
71 Prum TBA GK

gonna be some monster prices on these wines

But wasn´t Acker deeply involved in auctioning hyper criminal counterfeit bottles?

That’s why I’d NEVER spend a dime with Acker. Won’t make a difference to them, however…

If you “accidentally” disclose your massive WB ad revenue, they might change their minds.

Good point…quite the carrot to hang over their heads.

“You want some of this? Huh??”

Doesn’t seem people care enough. Rudi selling his collection. Many burgundy domaines send their wines to acker.

In the end, money is all that matters i guess

Shoulda changed his first name before consigning.

[snort.gif]

Well, I’m not a player in this market anyway, so nobody on the selling end cares about my opinion, but I’m very disappointed that he would take what must be an extremely impressive collection of wines for sale to scumbags such as Acker. Someone who has been in the wine business as long as he has and at that level should know better. Maybe he does and only cares about dollars generated. I hope that’s not the case and have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

+1

Disappointing that he would consign with those shitheels.

This is going to be a fascinating auction. I don’t think I have ever seen so many German wines in one auction. I just don’t know how big the market is for these wines. I plan to buy heavily. Luckily I have enough 59 and 71 Prum TBAs. And I can live without the 71 Egon as I have tried it before thanks to Rieslinfeier.

A quibble that I have (that pales in comparison to said larger issue) is that I find it a bit poor form for a professional to be already auctioning the 2017 Keller GGs that are just barely now hitting stateside. Publicly profiting from an arbitrage between where he gets it from KP and the highest bidder gives me a double take. Does anyone even recall importers doing this in a hot market like burgundy in a current vintage? I have seen producers doing it as there are many historic channels here but this wrinkle seems new to me.

Stunning collection of German wines. Will be hard to not pay attention to this.

I apologize in advance, but why do you have to give him the benefit of the doubt?? Every individual that has been active in the wine world-especially at the professional level for the last 10yrs (and Rudi has been in it for 40+) should be well aware of Acker’s history.

Clearly it comes down to the dollars generated.

What is fascinating though is how many named high level consignors that are ITB they land. I don’t know if they offer superior terms or guarantees or how they prevail because one would think that their history would be a significant negative impact.

Thats a very impressive collection. And rare to market. If anyone i know wants a partner in bidding, PM me. I’d invest in these

I don’t think the Keller is part of the rudi wiest block. Not sure if you were referring to him or jk

Ahh, thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Should be…yes. But I don’t know for sure that he is. I’m not going to make such an assumption. I find that many people in other sectors of the wine business are largely unaware of the auction world. I truly hope that’s the case here.

I agree with your last paragraph. It is interesting and disappointing.

It will be a historically important sale. As interest in the Trier auction wines has increased dramatically in the past 5 years, as well as interest in retail offerings- both driven largely by new demand from Asia- a solid secondary market has developed for German wines. That is predominantly with major retailers who trade in secondary market bottles and in online auctions- be it winebid or the periodic online auctions held by the major auction houses.

There have been some recent instances where there were a handful of high end lots in live sales of major European collections, but nothing like this. And so it will be interesting to watch.

For my part, I think a number of lots will go for as much as 2-3 times the high estimate. I do not think there is a very wide customer base just yet, but it has been growing and there are a number of offerings here (including quite a few of recent vintage with low estimates under $1,000) which- both now and at release- are for all practical purposes unavailable to collectors with the same ease as the top wines of other regions.