Low fill DRC - Drink or sell?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Low fill DRC - Drink or sell?

#51 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 31st, 2019, 5:10 am

Do a BYO and share with close friends. Color makes it a strong possibility to be fine.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by David Glasser » May 31st, 2019, 6:16 am

Good color in your second set of photos, excess ullage isn’t always a sign of death: I’d take the risk and drink it.

If I’d had the wine a few times before the excitement of trying it for the first time wouldn’t be there and I’d sell it.

Even if it isn’t a perfect representation of a perfectly stored bottle, there’s a decent chance it will be a good enough example to make the experience worth it. At 40 years out, not much chance of having a perfect bottle short of one straight out of DRC's cellars. Not much chance of that happening...

Being allowed only one BYO bottle wouldn’t change my choice to drink it, but would change my choice of where to drink it. I'd want a backup ready. And as John Morris pointed out, making sure it’s handled properly is critical.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 31st, 2019, 11:04 am

Possible solution; sell a a half share for $450, and drink together. Bring back upd
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Hank Victor » May 31st, 2019, 2:44 pm

Don't be afraid to take a chance at greatness

Drink it!
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Jeremy Holmes

#55 Post by Jeremy Holmes » May 31st, 2019, 3:44 pm

I'd drink it.
ITB

Tom Chen

#56 Post by Tom Chen » May 31st, 2019, 3:58 pm

No right or wrong answer, but I am in the camp of drinking it. I think the reward is worth the risk, given what has been said about the bottle.

I assume you bought it to drink, so unless you get a crazy offer, drink it.

One analogy is a person placing a 6 team parlay wager and hitting on the first five games. Then, hedging the last game to guarantee some sort of win, but missing out on the memorable, big payoff.

Similar, as least to me, here.

Again, a win/win, so enjoy either way and don't look back.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#57 Post by Robert M yers » May 31st, 2019, 4:28 pm

If you decide to sell it part of the deal should be to never speak of the bottle again. You’ll feel some bad either way, but particularly worse if it goes one way versus the other.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mark Y » May 31st, 2019, 10:22 pm

let's assume $900 is not going to have a material impact to your life.. since you acquired it at auction and we're having this discussion.. if it was $90,000 we probably aren't asking the same question.

In this case there's generally 4 possible outcomes..

you sell it - it's bad - the person will probably tell you, and you will probably feel a little bad. Even though the person bought it knowing full well the risk etc.. if it was me, i would still feel some what bad..

you sell it - it's good - the person will also probably tell you.. oh snap. you'll wish you kept it.

you drink it - it's bad - bummer.. u lost out on the money but you gain a story.. and given the initial assumption about no material impact to you, you'll probably forget about the money in 2 weeks.. but the story is there..

you drink it - it's good - Ka. Boom. lucky dog..

Given those scenarios, i think drinking it is the right choice.
If $900 is a material amount of money to you.. then you should sell it, without regard whether it's in good or bad conditions.. say it was worth $90,000 even if it was mint condition, would you sell it? probably right?
Y.e.

LawrenceM

#59 Post by LawrenceM » June 28th, 2019, 5:35 am

So I decided to take the risk and drink the bottle, and so after standing it up for the last week in the cellar I today took it to lunch where I had pre-arranged to BYOB this bottle.

Given the fill we decided not to Audouze the wine in case it fell over in the process. So when the main course was close to arriving the helpful sommelier disappeared and came back about 5 minutes later after struggling with the cork which broke in two pieces and was soaked three-quarters of the way through. However the cork had done its job and there were no signs of seepage.

I had a back-up bottle with the sommelier, but when he came back to the table with the bottle wearing a big smile I suspected that we may have got lucky. Sitting outside in the sunshine, the first thing which jumped out was the color; semi-translucent throughout, brick red with amber flecks towards the walls of the glass. Initially subdued with subtle red fruits overlaid with the sweet smell of age and decay.

After about 15 minutes in the glass the wine started to transform, with an intriguing and beautiful, floral bouquet of sweet spices, dark cherry, rosewater and undergrowth. The palate was largely acid driven, the fruit having clearly faded but remaining brightly red-fruited and the flavor soft and lingering. The wine peaked about 45 minutes after pouring and then started to slowly decline.

Overall very happy to have taken the risk on this bottle. Would pristine bottles perform better? I would guess most certainly, but nevertheless this was a lovely bottle of Burgundy which held our attention and provided enormous drinking pleasure for one and a half hours.

We followed it with a completely different beast - a 2013 Bartolo Mascarello. Besides being painfully young, it was a reminder of how good the Richebourg was since the Mascarello did not leave it completely in the shade.

So I'd rate the Richebourg 100 points for having exceeded my expectations. I don't think its fair or instructive to otherwise give points to a bottle like this, but suffice to say that I'm sure Adrian So would give it 93 points.
Attachments
Cat.jpg
M € N D € Z

Karl K

#60 Post by Karl K » June 28th, 2019, 6:00 am

Well done!
K a z a k s

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Jason T » June 28th, 2019, 6:04 am

Lawrence, great that it worked out for you.
J@son Tr@ughber

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by dcornutt » June 28th, 2019, 6:07 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 5:10 am
Do a BYO and share with close friends. Color makes it a strong possibility to be fine.
Color is everything in these kinds of bottles just ask the Bern's guys. This is the main thing they look at when selecting old Burgs from the cellar. If the color is excellent, you will be better off to drink unless you need the money.

The markdown for the ullage can sometimes be extreme. The bottle is likely to be glorious as you have noted Lawrence. So happy for you.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 28th, 2019, 6:11 am

Great experience, looks like a killer venue.

As an aside, I consider it bad etiquette for a Somm to disappear with the bottle, especially a bottle of this rarity and value. Is that what he did? Wow.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Pat Esposito

#64 Post by Pat Esposito » June 28th, 2019, 6:26 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:11 am
Great experience, looks like a killer venue.

As an aside, I consider it bad etiquette for a Somm to disappear with the bottle, especially a bottle of this rarity and value. Is that what he did? Wow.
Agreed on the Somm etiquette (or lack thereof). If they have a table nearby where I can see them at all times, and they are more comfortable working there, fine. Otherwise, don't leave the table with the bottle.

Glad to hear it showed well.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Hank Victor » June 28th, 2019, 8:26 am

Glad to hear the bottle was enjoyable!
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by R. Frankel » June 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Great story!
Rich Frankel

Jeremy Holmes

#67 Post by Jeremy Holmes » June 28th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Well done Lawrence. A good result. Colour looks good.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by alan weinberg » June 29th, 2019, 9:00 am

a somm without a Durand is like a surgeon without a scalpel—incompetent. I would have opened and decanted the wine myself and I never allow it to leave my presence. Glad it all worked out for you.

Return to “Wine Talk”