Some Weeknight TNs: Levet, Marie-Courtin, Carlisle, PYCM, Leoville Poyferre +

A few of us got together at Viet Ly’s place last night to let him cook us a midweek dinner. Damn, he can cook. How could I say No to that invitation. Plus, in WBer style, we can’t just do a few bottles. No, we have to do 9 bottles across 5 guys, all poured blind… pileon I survived to take some notes and play it back below. A few others were taking notes and some photos so let’s see if they add to the thread here. Viet, thanks again pal. Great meal and evening.

• 2000 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/29/2019)
    Served blind. Subtle wine in all respects for me. Cedar, spice, fresh berry that comes across pure and clean. This drank great, and was quite a contrast to the 2016 Carlisle Alicante Bouschet that followed it!
  • 2008 Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Dizy Terres Rouges Rosé - France, Champagne (5/29/2019)
    About a year since my previous bottle. Disgorged 02/2014, 3.5 g/l dosage, 100% PN. Has the same ruby/pink color as the last bottle, one of the darker Rose champagnes I can recall. Watermelon, cherry but more soft in tone and lacking for me some complexity, the spine I was looking for. I have 2 more of these on futures and I wonder whether I will like the remaining two that are enroute? Not a bad wine, but lacking energy that I wanted.
  • 2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Ancegnières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (5/29/2019)
    Has a green tropical note, like a green banana and guava thing. Hard to describe, this is the best I can do to identify it. Lemon oil, with lots of minerality that helps define the finish. Closes with an anise/black licorice note that is subtle but cool. When the wine warmed a bit more, some green apple came through, too. Overall, I enjoyed this.
  • 2012 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (5/29/2019)
    Second time I have had this wine, and similarly to the last time, this bottle was served blind. The aromatic reminded me of the early year’s of Pisoni Syrah (Susan’s Hill), showing a bit of the stone fruit pit note/apricot that I like. Beyond that, lavender and cedar, too. Black raspberry, subtle bluerberry and a gamy quality. Thought this was drinking nicely.
  • 2013 Casalino Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/29/2019)
    Served blind. Tobacco leaf aroma and rose petal. Cherry, earth, with a touch of red candy.
  • 2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Concordance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/29/2019)
    Served blind. Disgorged 12/17, same as the bottle we had a week ago. 100% PN, zero dosage, sans soufre. Light bread dough aroma, yellow apple, lime, saline and chalk on the first few tastes. Eventually, the red berry comes through, a black cherry and raspberry, along with a leaner tone and better focus.
  • 2016 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Maestria - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (5/29/2019)
    Served blind. This was my WOTN across the 9 bottles we did blind. Love the florals on the aromatic–think of dried purple flower, joined by black olive. Inky, rocky, blue fruited with terrific structure. Terrific wine.
  • 2016 Carlisle Alicante Bouschet Pagani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (5/29/2019)
    Opened this at 10AM, which was 10 hours before we poured it. This looks like the same wine I tasted from barrel in 2017, showing the ink staining color in the stem last night when we poured it around the table blind. This is still tannic, it does throw off a bit of an alcohol signature and it’s a big wine. Curtis Chen (C Chen) will have a note on this and took the leftover with him so I would go with his note as a reference. This was the last wine of the night, preceded by 8 others and I have to admit I was getting a tired palate by this point, which is why Curtis has the best shot here to tell the story from the leftovers.
  • 2016 Clos Saint Joseph Syrah Côtes de Provence - France, Provence, Côtes de Provence (5/29/2019)
    I am going to take a less enthused position on this wine. Served blind. Purple fruit, some maple syrup, tar, iron. What I also noticed in the aromatic was something fumey, what reminded me of elevated alcohol. Overall, this seemed more modern and out of my comfort zone because what I perceived to be the riper tones.

Posted from CellarTracker

Awful lot of CABERNET in that Leoville Poyferre, buddy! I have several bottles of that exact wine - happy to share if you get the urge for it another time.

Lots of young Rhones in there - y’all need to let those rest a little while before Pobega’ing them. Knowing how spot-on accurate you are about Pisoni Susan’s Hill fruit, it was surprising that a Benetiere showed similar in characteristics. Would have loved to try that one.

Frenchie, re: the Benetiere, the aromatics of the wine, not the wine overall. Those Rhones weren’t mine and I was glad to revisit both Levet and Benetiere again as these are followed by several people on Wine Talk.

You are telling me to rest wines? Funny. Did you forget you know me and my approach to wines and drinking them youthful?

I know, I know…but Northern Rhones are SOOOO good with just a LITTLE age on them! Still youthful, but more complex! I’ve got a few I can share sometime - might change your mind

Ha! That 2012 Benetiere, and many North Rhônes in 2012, are actually damn enjoyable right now. Even Chave. Compare that to the wall of closure in the 2010 and 2013 vintages. They will get even better with time, but 2012 shows very well right now. Ultimately I do not think it will hit the high highs of 2010 or 2013, and I’ll leave you with Fu to debate 2015.

Thanks for the notes, Frankie!

Thanks for the notes, Frank. It was a fantastic evening. The “Mid Life Crisis” Flannery dry aged steaks that Viet prepped for us, along with his other dishes (I’m still drooling over that Caprese salad) were just excellent.

Todd’s right about Leoville Poyferre-- it’s a big wine, but the bottle didn’t show that way. The '16 Levet was really pure and worth drinking young to satiate curiosity. Might buy more.

Here are my notes:

This wine was a complete shocker. By the color and nose, I thought this was older by at least 6-8 years.

Lovely nose of hazelnut, honey, white flowers, apple sauce, and some candied fruit. It was chalky on the palate with lovely acidity, balance, and minerality. If it wasn’t so lean, I would have given it a nod as a big house Champagne. I was completely shocked to see 2014 as the vintage year. It just goes to show that Marie Courtin is legit! (93 pts.)

The nose was somewhat muted, but the palate really gave way to high tones red fruits, especially cherries. It was also a bit savory, reminding me of a Mousse, but with a more structured and dense body. Chalky, lean, nice acidity, and just a delicious wine! (90 pts.)

The signature matchstick aroma initially pulled me towards either Henri Boillot or PYCM. The richer color, youthful lemon/mineral expression, flintiness, and density of this wine correctly led me to PYCM, although I incorrectly guessed 2014 instead of 2011. Delicious wine. Unmistakably Burgundy. (91 pts.)

This wine greatly humbled me, as I didn’t guess Côte Rotie or the 2012 vintage at all, even though I knew it was an old world Syrah.

Silky, primary, and lush with some meaty components, this was a perplexing wine that seemed almost too delicate for Côte Rotie. I really wasn’t sure where to go with this. (91 pts.)

A generous nose of red berries, anise, tobacco, wet forest floor, lead, and earthy aromas.

The nose on this wine felt distinctly Bordeaux, but the lighter flavor profile threw me off and left me a bit hesitant to make the call. It also drank more youthful than a 19 year old wine. Still, lighter color and body, nice acidity, and some resolved tannins. My mind did not go to Saint-Julien, so this was another surprise! (90 pts.)

Tasted it and figured it was Italian with a Brunello touch. Extremely aromatic with plenty of strawberries and light red fruits on the nose. On the palate, a very tart wine (which led me to Italy) with stuffing that show some cellaring promise. A nice wine that’s approachable and doesn’t require deep analysis for now. (90 pts.)

Oof, this wine is already showing so well. It took a few minutes in the glass to open up, but when it did, it was a showstopper. Unmistakably Cote Rotie with notes of seductive mixed berries, olives, dried herbs, and a bit of funk. The gorgeous inner mouth perfume that Ryan at Golden 8 Wines mentioned was prominent.

I expected this wine to a little too tight and disjointed to sit back and enjoy, but it took me by surprise. What a great wine. Can’t wait to see what additional cellaring will bring! (93 pts.)

Deep inky purple. The elegant nose I expected was a bit tight and needed time in the glass to open up. When it came around, you got a lot of beautiful violet flowers and luscious, jammy red fruit. The palate brought more of the same with some earthy notes, but this wine was not as open as the last bottle. However, it has enough acid lift and structure to be put away for a while. (91 pts.)

This wine was crazy to try guessing! It struck me as a domestic Petite Sirah with Carlisle DNA, but I could not confidently call out the varietal. The wine has a wild and expressive nose. It was full of cedar, maple syrup, toasty aromas, concentrated red berries, baking spices, and cinnamon.

Visually, this wine was so dark violet that when you swirled the glass, you could see the glass staining. A beautiful sight, reminding me of the appeal of the 2016 Tercero Aberration.

On the palate, it was similar to the nose with deep structure, lovely tannins, and a lingering finish. One of the most interesting wines I’ve had in a while and my first experience with this grape. Wish I could find more! This was a strong wine to end the night with. Big thanks to Frank for graciously allowing me to take home the rest of the bottle for the sake of science. :wink: (92 pts.)

• 1990 Glenfarclas 24 year K&L exclusive single malt whisky - United Kingdom, Scotland, Highlands
    Viet generously offered me a sip of this birth year dessert Scotch. The color was like a deep syrup with a thick consistency reminding me of a Sauternes. This was rich, unctuous, aromatic, and intense, offering smooth drinking and a lovely finish. It’s not your typical Scotch at all, but for what it is, this is some seriously delicious stuff. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve seen the 16 Journaries/Maestria vanish from a few big retailers in the last few days.

Curtis…he is moving the Levet market. [bow.gif]

Frank, thanks for opening the Alicante Bouschet. We have two of them, and appreciate the impressions of the wine from you and Curtis. Cheers!

Ed

you’ve never had benetiere?

wtf my 16 Maestria last friday was super shut down.

i demand a refund

Wines give us the performance we deserve neener

#facts

Wow. Talk about the “nuh-UH” with a capital “UH”! :slight_smile:

I have some 16 Ancegnieres coming my way and looking much forward to trying it after some little sleep time. Levet = yum. From 2013:

"2004 Vignobles Levet Cote Rotie La Chavaroche

Jay M. generously let us try this as well. Just touches of the bacon and meats here, herbs are present and light pepper to combine with dark berry fruit. Oh my. That’s silky as anything I’m turned on by the balance here, nice expressive red berry fruit, and it just gains energy and panache with time in the glass. Quite gorgeous by the end of the night, the suppleness and focus deliver waves of pleasure that make this my WOTN."

From 2014:

“The 2009 Levet Cote Rotie La Chavaroche showed quite well. Actually a slight lacing of minerality in the bouquet for me, but surrounded by expressive berry fruit and light spice accents. To taste, more expressive as well than I’d have thought, with impeccable balance and reflects of sweet currant, red berry, a dab of plum and a li’l cocoa. Very good.”

Counselor Hack provided the 2009, at a Jets game.

I know Mike loves his Alicante that he makes, and so do I, when I’ve had it from barrel.

Mike! Good to see you. I like your notes on the Chavaroche. The Maestria we had is actually Journaries. The Peroline is Chavaroche. [cheers.gif]

Thanks Frank for starting this thread. It was a busy week at home/work so I’m a little late with my post. Will post photos soon!

Todd: I envy your bottles of the 2000 Chateau Leoville Poyferre as it was my WOTN. Agree with Curtis, not a “big” wine and was drinking balanced with early stage of maturity. Your comment about “a little age” on Northern Rhone reminded me of the 2008 Levet Chavaroche we shared with Fred last year, that bottle was rocking.

Charlie: Thanks for the decanting advice on the 2012 Benetiere. I ranked it second at Frank’s Northern Rhone/CA Syrah event I attended last year (where I met Todd for the first time =p).

Notes below, with disclaimer that I didn’t write notes due to hosting:

2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Concordance Extra Brut
Straw color. Apples and lemon with a touch of toast and white flowers, ending with grapefruit with a little pith. Would not have guessed 100% PN and did not taste young. You can tell that the wine is zero dosage, but fruit was flavorful/pure. Nice texture on the bubbles. Day two with the bubbles gone more of toast/brioche notes come out.

2008 Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Dizy Terres Rouges Rosé
Blind, first time with this producer. Pretty ruby hue with ripe cherry and dense in flavor balanced with good acidity.

2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Ancegnières
Blind, guessed Burgundy with a little age on it. With a bit of help came up with PYCM (which always reminds me of Micheal Jackson). I’ve only had a handful of experiences with PYCM but all of them have been really positive. Initially an (unpleasant) strong smell of sulfur (like walking in the volcanic valley of Hakone, Japan) which when swirled vigorously dissipates which then leaves behind a trace of that “matchstick” or “flint” (pleasant) quality. I’m trying to be careful with my words here because even after reading the long WB thread I’m still left confused. It’s like digging down into the glass and it finally reveals the pretty fruit underneath. Initially thought maybe a domestic chard due to the richness of fruit lemon, apple. It had a white pepper note that I really loved. So easy to drink. Had a half glass the next day and it was still quite enjoyable although the fruit was slightly faded and didn’t taste as fresh.

2016 Clos Saint Joseph Syrah Côtes de Provence
I saw the label of this wine and the Levet before the person that brought it decided to blind his wines. I thought the Levet was being poured so that completely colored my initial experience of this wine. I found the wine very generous of dark purple fruit (“inky” is appropriate here) and highly floral (violets/lavender, almost like a perfume). Rich/mouth coating and round tannin. Good wine for fans of this style but I like my Syrah more savory. A few days later the wine settled down a bit and still drinking well.

2012 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux
Opened the wine in the morning and had a smile on my face because it reminded me of the Northern Rhone/CA Syrah tasting with Frank. The nose and taste was really nice with red fruit accented with pepper, asphalt, game notes. An elegant and beautiful Cote Rotie which I think suffered going after the Clos Saint Josepth.

2013 Casalino Brunello di Montalcino
I thought this wine was typical of Brunello, cherry and a bit of earth. Easy to drink and the left overs went well with the Bolognese pasta I made a few days later.

2016 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Maestria
Was excited to get an early look at this wine. My first time drinking Maestria/Journaries, only previously drinking the Chavaroche 2008/2012/2014. Obviously drinking super young, but there’s lots going on beneath the fruit. Compared to previous experience of Levet this wine seemed denser/darker and less wild. Drinking the left overs a few days later some of the more interesting savory notes came out. Would be nice to revisit with age.

2000 Château Léoville Poyferré
Blind, guessed left bank Bordeaux from early 2000’s. Love the nose on this, the cool tobacco/pepper just hits the spot. Drinking in a balanced style with early stage of maturity. Nice integration and tannin resolution and just a hint of that autumnal/forest floor note. Wife had some left overs with me the next day and said “not bad” which was surprising because she’s a Napa Cab drinker and doesn’t like age on wines. Drinking this reminded me of a Bordeaux tasting that I went to at Winex early on when I started drinking wine (2004?). During that time we drank mostly Napa Cab and I didn’t get what all the fuss was about. I wish I can go back and tell that guy to buy more 2000 Bordeaux and hold it for 15 years.

2016 Carlisle Alicante Bouschet Pagani Ranch
Oh man this was a big wine and a fun one to end the night with. Super inky purple that looked like it was going to stain the wine glass permanently. I called Petite Syrah and was guessing Carlisle when given a little more background behind the wine. Never had Alicante Bouschet before so that was fun. A wall of fruit with pepper notes and an interesting caramelized note in there (Cracker Jack popcorn?). Dense mouth feel reflecting the higher ABV.

Yeah, and I lost my invite to this particular event…

deadhorse

I’ve got 6 bottles of the 2000 Leoville Poyferre, primarily because people I trust who love Bordeaux like I do basically call it a big time sleeper, and it’s not out-of-this-world pricey (yet) so it goes among the few gems I have in my Bordeaux collection. Also have the 2003 Leoville Poyferre but I haven’t been as thrilled with that as many others have - I feel it is a bit too lush now, less Classically-styled than the 2000

This thread reminds me of when I brought a 2005 Levet Chavaroche to dinner with my future wife and her family in maybe 2010. Was a mouthful of olive brine and raw beef and iron with this thin hint of brambly-but-clearly-picked-early blackberry and I was trying to explain why this was an exceptional wine but too young and also kind of an acquired taste to her parents who are so unerringly polite that they probably would have pretended to like windshield wiper fluid for my benefit.