TN: 1990 Bosquet des Papes: Chateauneuf du Pape

1990 Bosquet des Papes: Chateauneuf du Pape (S.Rhone, France).

This hilltop village in the S.Rhone still makes some of my favourite wines on the planet. This bottle, from the legendary 1990 vintage, is my 7th of the same wine. Dark cherry red, 14.5% alcohol on the label. A soft herb nose with vine stems, aromas of red fruit jam. The mouthfeel is full bodied and velvet smooth, with a savoury edge to it. Fully mature and drinkable on its own, it needs a foodie partner to help it dance to its Provençal beat. Let’s dance!
IMG_1921.jpg

Nice to see your post, Nicos.

I haven’t had very good luck aging this wine. I liked it quite a bit young and actually bought more when they released the same wine in 2000 with a tag that read “Cuvee de l’an 2000.” Those newer bottles were all powerfully Bretty. The originals have been variable with some decent and some partly oxidized. I have a few bottles left but I dread opening them.

Craig, thank you for your kind words. Crack one of your remaining bottles and let’s hear how it is doing.

This and the 1989 were (and still are) one of my favorite drinkers … (now down to two bottles). Always fine and enjoyable - traditional CdP, and maybe a tiny hint of Brett, but that far from serious.
The 1990 Chantmerle is better still …

It took me a while but my wife just left town on business so I was willing to take the risk :slight_smile:

This bottle has a very pronounced soy nose which may be Brett or perhaps some oxidation. The palate is not bad. I don’t get an unpleasant aftertaste (sort of a super cloying version of the soy character) that was there in some bottles. That particular aftertaste made the bottles undrinkable to me and was my biggest fear for this one, so I’m happy for it’s absence.

Overall to my taste the 1990 Bosquet was probably best at release, and these “Cuvée De l’an 2000” would have been better if they were not aged longer in wood.

Hello Craig, thanks for your update. Good to hear that your latest bottle was drinkable. It was my last bottle too.

Tonight I will be opening a few bottles. including a 2005 Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape!

Sounds delicious Nicos.

Nice! I’ve got 1990 Galets des Papes on the drink now rack…sounds like it is getting poured as soon as it cools down.

Good stuff, Nicos. You needed a Chenin for dessert. :wink:

Well, I chose a cask strength rare Scottish whisky. However, we do love a well aged moelleux Vouvray. [highfive.gif]

We had a 1990 Galets des Papes [CNDP] last night with a bowl of bucatini in a zucchini/tomato/meat sauce. The cork was a little soggy half way up, but extracted cleanly. The hue is a pale garnet, and it has a glorious captivating nose. I got cinnamon, sandalwood, orange peels - just a whole box of potpourri. The texture is excellent too - perfectly balanced with fruit and acidity - and the wine is all resolved on the tannin side. You get a real sense of sweetness here after it has developed in bottle that I don’t find in brasher youthful grenache. 1990 was a fabulous vintage in the AOC and at this point, that might have been my last bottle, but wow was it great. The only thing maybe holding it back from a top grade is the depth and length of flavor. This is an estate I should put back on the buy list; I don’t think I’ve purchased any since 1998 and 2010 (maybe?). I slot this into the A- zone. Great stuff!