Scout and Cellar?

My wife received 2 different sales pitches this week from friends who are selling for this company. Anyone know anything about them?

From the email:

I am excited to announce that I have become a Wine Consultant for Scout and Cellar. As most of you know I enjoy drinking wine, but can’t seem to find anything that tastes smooth and leaves me feeling great the next morning. I really became intrigued by the Clean-crafted wine concept Scout and Cellar founder Sarah Shadonix branded after extensive research trying to find great wine without the not-so-great headaches!

Clean-crafted means:
:wine_glass:Organic
:wine_glass:Have No Chemicals or Additives
:wine_glass:Have No Added-Sugar (therefore are Keto-friendly)
:wine_glass:Low Sulfites = Less Headaches!

Being that only 1% of wines are made this way (most mass-produced wines have a whole bunch of junk we should not put into our bodies), Sarah travels the world to scout out wines that were made the way God intended us to make them - from grapes, and grapes alone—and best of all, the wine is AMAZING, I have yet to open one that I did not like!

Scout and Cellar is not only a company owned by a woman but Sarah is also a level 3 Sommelier who personally chooses the wines and guarantees all the wines are without chemicals or additives, no sugar added, less than 100ppm sulfites and they are shipped to your door!!!

Please let me know if you would like to order some Clean-Crafted wine and give it a try! All bottles are guaranteed.

If you like to try before you buy, I am happy to have a wine-tasting at my house or yours.

Keto friendly? If any available sugar, natural or added, is fermented to dry, isn’t it keto friendly by definition?

Of course I am no keto expert, so feel free to correct me.

I got a Scout & Cellar branded glass as a tee prize in a scramble last year. Works perfectly.

I like that 100ppm Sulfite is the bar for ‘low sulfites’.

I am not buying wine from anyone whose main palate criteria is that it “…tastes smooth…”. Absurd.

1 Like

I believe alcohol is not a Keto-approved substance.

1 Like

Low sulfites = Less headaches…

level 3 sommelier…

Without looking into it its one of those pyramid schemes that sell you private label wine.

So, the email is basically false advertising?

While alcohol IS a keto approved substance, I don’t believe anyone that says something doesn’t contain chemicals. If there’s not chemicals in the bottle, what are we drinking?

Also, in case anyone is wondering, you can drink a small amount of some wine while on a keto diet, especially if you’re not just starting. However, it’s dependent on how much sugar is in the wine, not whether any sugar was added to the wine.

This started in Dallas. It’s a multi level marketing company using wine as the product.

I can’t figure out how it’s legal for an individual to solicit people to attend tastings in facilities without proper permitting, take orders at said tastings, go pick up the wine (in some cases cross state lines to do so) and then deliver it while obviously flaunting the three (or four) tier system and making a profit.

In Oklahoma the ABLE Commission gave them a direct shipper permit reserved for wineries. The wines they sell are also available at retail.

It’s a baffling model from a legal perspective.

LOL you must be from Texas. My condolences. It’s a bullshit Ponzi scheme and the wines suck. You will never get your money’s worth, it’s about filling the pockets of the sellers.

Last I looked the wine wasn’t private label. The labels were primarily labels I’d heard of or seen at retail.

1 Like

Looking at their website, kind of obvious what the intended demographics are.

Yeah, MLM.

I don’t know all the applicable laws, but my impression from my wife, who got roped into one of these tastings, is that the tasting is designed as a gathering of friends, which presumably is generally legal, with orders placed through some central system.

The wine she chose was overpriced and nothing special. Much like most products sold through MLM arrangements.

Ooooh, I hope I get the Fathers Day set!

It does seem like you would need a liquor license here in Tennessee to do what they are describing on their website.

You nailed it! I have recently called out her “Level 3 Somm” status to both the Court of Master Sommeliers and WSET. She is a WSET Level 3 graduate however many of her ‘consultants’ are on record on YouTube and podcasts discussing how she is almost a “Master Somm” and that there are only 250 (or 320 or 324 or whatever number they want to make up that day) “Level 3 Sommeliers” in the world. HOW embarrassing. :tired_face: Unfortunately I think they must be getting this story from a common source, which I would assume is her. It burns me up for my friends who actually are sommeliers through the Court-it’s so incredibly wrong to imply that you are an Advanced Sommelier when you are WSET Level 3. Technically she’s not a Sommelier at all.

Scout & Cellar is a multi-level marketing scam company that sources from wineries and private label bottling companies that are pretty easy to uncover if you look at the descriptions of their wines. Probably 2nd or 3rd press of those wineries’ own brands that they sell nationwide for a 1/3 the price. Definitely not the “small production” they allude to as most of them are well known, large producers …but then again a lot of what they market is not the actual product but the pyramid scheme “get in first” “opportunity” anyways. It really is a slap in the face to professionals in the wine industry. If you want to check a hilarious video montage of some of their reps talking about their CEO’s credentials I created The Instagram page @mlmwineschool to bring to light the fraudulent claims they make. I have so much material it’s unreal. Don’t even get me started about the medical claims they make or if their compliance is on point. I have already reported them to the TTB multiple times based on claims from local reps that they are ordering more than our state’s DTC allowance per individual/household. I also am not sure how they are acting as a supplier and not an online retailer considering they have multiple brands with multiple sources, domestic and import and usually several different sources under the umbrella of each of their brands. And now they’re launching spirits? Grape based and a low alcohol-I’m sure it’s to get around ABV laws. Anyone have any insight on that or the online retailer vs direct shipper guidelines?

Did they just resurface?

For me, this failed on multiple levels with a single line:
Low Sulfites = Less Headaches!

First the grammar and second the logic.

1 Like

In a way GregT. The company recently pushed a promo deal (beginning in April and ending today 5/11/20) to sign up as a consultant for $99 verses the online price of $249. Thanks to the wonderful responses in this forum, they didn’t get my wallet or taste buds.

Neighbor’s wife is doing this. They’ve poured me a few wines when we’ve been hanging out.

The cheaper ones are bad, but the nicer cab blend one (Bookbinder?) was perfectly fine. Tasted like a solid grocery store $30-40 cab. Not something that would excite folks around here, but your average wine drinker would think it was pretty good.

Hana, thanks for all the scoop. That’s interesting to know. Fortunately, the neighbors are very chill about it and don’t try to sell to me — I think she does it more as a social thing with her friends than trying to make money.