London wine bar recommendations sought

A colleague is flying into London today and just asked me for a recommendation for a wine bar. She’s staying in the west end. Probably could use very wine-friendly (i.e., good selection, not overpriced) restaurant recommendations too although maybe not.

TIA

1 Like

Andrew Edmunds and Noble Rot spring to mind. If your colleague is happy to go to Chelsea, Hunan is possibly my favourite London restaurant if I’m ordering off of the list.

Can’t help with wine bars, Maureen, but La Trompette, Ledbury and The Square have been the 3 restaurants that the gang on Tom Cannavan’s WinePages have frequented most frequently. I have been to La Trompette myself twice and have only rave reviews about the food and the knowledge of the staff.

Terrors in west end. Ideally go to Sager and Wilde though.

There are a couple of prior threads on this if you poke around, Maureen.

I would want to echo what’s been mentioned already.

I’ve greatly enjoyed Noble Rot and Sager + Wilde.

I enjoyed going to Terroirs in Charring Cross. Ate at the excellent Barfina (tapas) just up the street after a few glasses.

She should try this place

Over 100 wines by the glass with plenty of high end stuff

If she wants to visit a BYO restaurant in the west end I would recommend Noize

Agree with Ian.

Sager and Wilde seems to have lost focus over my last few visits. Noble Rot has a specific vibe and it’s not for me, but it has its place.

The Remedy is another option for somewhere more informal and it usually has some entertaining curiosities on the list.

Harwood Arms for top tier game focused and wine friendly British cooking with an accommodating BYO policy.

Massive +1 to Sager and Wilde. The most excited I’ve been at a wine bar in a long time. Fantastic bottle list and very smart BTG list. Knowledgeable and passionate staff that are happy to steer you. Small bites were great as well.

I’m excited to continue checking out new places over here but I will happily frequent this place.

By far the best would be for your friend to ring up 67 pall mall, say they are considering becoming an overseas member and ask for a tour…

Sounds like a great place for oak-laden wines.

Gordons on the Embankment is a must visit. https://gordonswinebar.com/

Terroirs around the corner from
st martins in the field is a cracker for service , smart food and wacky wine
michel

Second that :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Feel free to keep ‘em coming.

My other suggestion—listen to Dan Bailey! :wink:

Glad I poked in on this one, archiving for my own next trip to London, lots of helpful info here.

I’ve been to 110 Taillevent in Paris. Finest Risotto I’ve ever experienced.

Good call on Sager + Wilde!!
22232C6D-E417-4E0A-8600-0695F1D7E1BE.jpeg

Jeff, glad you enjoyed it!