1982 Silver Oak Alexander Valley

Just opened this wine my father who is gone and I saved for a special occasion. He thought that 19 dollars was way overpriced but bought it for me. I didn’t think it would be any good but the wine was exceptional. A slightly brick color but still had a great bouquet and no brick taste. Still had a good fruit tastes.Was a wonderful wine.

The wines were made much differently in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Not surprised the wine was good. We had a magnum of 83 a while back and 83 wasn’t a stellar year. It too had some bricking. Nose was correct, fruit slightly subdued but obvious Silver Oak. The wine started to fade some as we neared the bottom.

Bill,

Sorry for your loss, glad you got to remember your dad via a special, shared purchase bottle.

Lesson learned is to share that ‘special saved bottle’ with loves ones sooner than later, just in case! Glad you enjoyed it in his honor. If my mom liked any of my wines, I’d have done the same, but her taste in wine was from a box, with a spigot, in the fridge.

$19 in 1984 is only about $47 nowadays - my bank account would be much happier if they kept that pricepoint since Silver Oak Alexander Valley is my wife’s favorite wine! Can’t stick with that pricepoint with the fancy new digs and tasting room, neither of which existed back then.