Best Bordeaux $20-$50 range

After a lot of tasting I don’t think I’ll be able to find much to my liking in this price range in California Cab. Had a great chateau Lannessan (sp?) the other night and it was much more to my liking and would’ve been 80-100 bucks if from Napa. What do other like from Bordeaux in this price range for everyday drinking.

Lanessan can be fantastic.

Try:

Gloria
Chasse Spleen
D’Armailhac
Giscours
Sociando has its followers (and detractors)
Cantemerle
La Gravette de Certain
Langoa Barton
Ferriere

Most of the wines above are pretty traditional in style. Would be curious what vintage of Lanessan you had. It changed stylistically, recently, bringing in a modernist consultant. The 2014 is more classic in style, and is fantastic.

What vintages of Gravette have you enjoyed?

2009 and 2010.

Craig was big on 2012, so I ordered more, and grabbed some 2014, all under $50.

Thx.

Think it was 2015

Lilian Ladouys
Meyney
Senejac
La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou
Pagodes de Cos
Dame de Montrose

edited to add - for 2015 in particular:
Siran
Labegorce
du Tertre
Cantenac Brown

Chris beat me to it with his Senejac recommendation; only problem with that one is that it’s likely to be a couple bucks under $20. [wink.gif]

+1 to Le Dame de Montrose, Lanessan, and also Cantemerle.

Talbot and Meyney worth consideration.

If you have a Total Wine near you, and can buy with one of their 20% off coupons, then things like Giscours and Malescot St. Exupery qualify, too, depending on vintage.

If you like the modern side, best deal in FR is La Fleur Morange Mathilde.

To be clear, I recommended the 2012 to Robert. It’s not my favorite. I would buy more 2014. 2009 is very good but I don’t think it’s $50.

AHA, I get it, so you push the Yak dregs to Alfert!

[wow.gif]

Wow what a question. I see a couple lists posted, and I agree with some of those and frankly do not know about some others. There are so many good medocs, haut medocs, not to mention right bank wines in the stated price range. I think many of us tend to go back to the names we know best, and so, I say, get to tasting. Use the recommendations listed here…see what your local retailer has and cross-check it vs the wine review sites,and see what you like. At the lower end of you range, the is little to,lose.

Excellent choice. I had this for the first time a few years ago when I was in Bordeaux and visiting Ducru. Really excellent wine. Just wish it was easier to find here in DC.

If you like classic left bank Claret, the 2014 Ch. Talbot is a must buy IMO - but it’s the only vintage that you’re likely to find for less than $50.

Good calls, Chris and Brian, on La Dame and Talbot. I bought Talbot in futures for dirt cheap, but Total Wine has it for $50. And then dirt cheap if you grab their regular 20% off coupon!

Lots of great ideas, but I’m not sure if some are for “everyday drinking”! I would go a bit more towards Crus Bourgeois for that. Depending on your taste, John, these could be other good bets on the LB:

Citran, Caronne Sainte Gemme, Larose Trintaudon, Beaumont, Agassac, Rollan de By, Belle Vue, Bolaire, Cambon La Pelouse, Du Glana, D’Escurac, Greysac, Hanteillan, Paloumey and De Malleret.

Obviously there are dozens more on the RB, if that’s what you prefer.

Basically, the rise in quality of these is such that they are possibly even too good for everyday drinking - so I certainly wouldn’t go for CCs, unless your means are much higher.

Another vote for Lanessan

Lots of great options here.

Add Fleur Cardinal and Bellevue to the list. The 2015s are fantastic qpr.

The 16 fleur cardinal is good as well.