Wine country vacation suggestions.

We have two unplanned weeks off September 14-29. We are really bad about planning ahead. We have done most of “Wine Country” in the USA (Napa/Sonoma, Paso Robles, Santa Cruz Mountains, Willamette Valley). Any suggestions for this time of year outside of the US? We would probably not go to Burgundy, but cannot rule it out.

If you like Pinot, Willamette Valley in Oregon is a must.

Outside the US? :wink:

It would depend on what you like. That’s a great time to go almost anywhere in Western Europe.
So Bordeaux. Burgundy. Rhône. Loire. Piedmont. Tuscany. Rioja. Etc.

Burg of course
But next up I vote for piedmont. Lovely place for a vacation.

Australia and New Zealand. Right in their spring.

What are you looking for:

Impressive and iconic chateaus - go to Bordeaux
Great food at great places and small-town life - go to Burgundy
Beautiful vistas - have not been there, but I understand that is Barolo
Pretty vistas and picture book towns - Alsace.

In summary. What is your favorite type of European wine? Go there.

If you enjoy Alsatian wines, I would urge Alsace with as much fervor as I could muster.

To put it bluntly, I’ve never enjoyed a place quite as much as I’ve enjoyed it there. My wife and I visited a couple of weeks after the time of year you mention, but I would imagine that to be perfect.

You could also pair it with either Germany, Champagne, Burgundy, or Rhône. We paired it with Burgundy and while we enjoyed Burgundy Alsace stole the show.

I’d be more than happy to give suggestions on villages, restaurants, etc.

Hard to go wrong in terms of weather. Obviously winery visits may be hard to arrange if the harvest is on the way, though.

Chris, what was it you enjoyed so much about Alsace?

I enjoyed the well priced wine, the friendly folks, the beyond beautiful atmosphere, the surprisingly delicious food (this was a huge surprise in Alsace). I must really admit it was a home run on most accounts.

I would highly suggest centering on Riquewihr, Ribeauville, etc. that said we also spent a night or two in Colmar and it wasn’t wasted. I just think that the nights in the villages are much more idyllic.

Personally, if you gave me a week in Ribeauville and the surroundings, followed by a week in the Northern Rhône or Beaune I’d be a very happy camper.

Why not visit Styria in Austria - called the Austrian Toscana.
Great white wines, decent reds … [cheers.gif]

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-do/food-and-drink/wine/styrian-wine-route

Agree with above responses highlighting some of the differences between regions. Of those mentioned, Alsace for the picturesque towns or Tuscany for the food and beauty of the countryside would be near the top of my list for a first international wine trip.

Since no one’s mentioned the Loire yet, I will. Quite a variety of wines depending on which region you visit. Friendly, receptive people. Some of the most exquisite Chateaux in France. French helps but basic tourist level is enough, unless you want an in-depth discussion of techniques at the wine tastings. Appointments recommended but we had no trouble getting them. We enjoyed a stay at Chateau de Noizay, off the D1 east of Vouvray.

Jeff, that period is an ideal time to visit US or Western Europe. In Europe, we have always enjoyed wine touring when combined with some other interest of ours. We also have particularly liked having a “base” location and enjoying the local atmosphere and rhythm as part of the experience. Good suggestions above, but reflect a bit about your and your wife’s interests and maybe consider picking an interest/hobby vacation (painting, photography, volunteer, cooking) to complement the wine touring. Enjoy! -Jim

For those saying this is a perfect time to visit, isn’t it harvest time in many regions? Won’t small wineries be swamped and not seeing visitors? Note, I have never visited a wine region in September, so I thought I would ask.

I assume you’ve already made the arduous two hour journey to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario? Can’t recommend Pearl Morissette enough.

No tastings since July 2018.

So,New Mexico? champagne.gif

and scenery, and food, and great people…
Big +1

[/quote]

I assume you’ve already made the arduous two hour journey to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario? Can’t recommend Pearl Morissette enough.
[/quote]

We have visited Niagra-on-the-Lake, North Fork of Long Island and the Finger Lakes. The only other unexplored area in the US that is on our to-do list is the Santa Barbara area; however, we probably do not need devote two weeks in that area. I have always wanted to see the Yosemite valley but that is a long way from Santa Barbara.

[/quote]

We have visited Niagra-on-the-Lake, North Fork of Long Island and the Finger Lakes. The only other unexplored area in the US that is on our to-do list is the Santa Barbara area; however, we probably do not need devote two weeks in that area. I have always wanted to see the Yosemite valley but that is a long way from Santa Barbara.
[/quote]

I’ve been wanting to hike the Lost Coast Trail and do Anderson Valley. Broke my leg last summer when I was planning to do it. Heading to Tuscany and Amalfi Coast this summer.

On several occasions when I’ve tried to arrange a visit for late August or early September I’ve been told that I am welcome if the harvest has not started.

Howard, you make a very good point, especially if someone is looking for winemaker interaction at smaller wineries. We bumped into a bit of this when we visited Oregon last year in about this same time frame, but the weather and other tasting opportunities that time of year can still be pretty good, but as you say maybe not “perfect”. [cheers.gif] -Jim