A Top Domestic Syrah and it is 2007 Rhys Horseshoe

I have a few top Americans Syrah experiences that stick out for impact. Dehlinger, Lagier Meredith, Terra Blacca(Red Mountain), Richard Perry, Kamen and Clos Saron mainly.

This is my second and last bottle. The other bottle in 15 was excellent and this bottle was probably a bit better. Just entering secondary it shows big fruit without heaviness, mineral, deep nostril aromatics, spice, light stems and a texture that hits every tastebud on my tongue. It reminds me of an incredible bottle of 89 Beaucastel in that complete impact impression, but with a fruit element that pleases. The finish is very long.

Horseshoe rocks again!

Glenn, I agree. While Syrah is almost lost within the Rhys portfolio, it is special.

I have had Rhys Chardonnay, 12 Alpine for example that stun, while some others did not deliver as much. Kind of hit or miss.

I am still waiting for the PN that provides mature depth. So far 12 Horseshoe tasted young is my favorite, the nose was splendid. I have 06 Alpine in the queue and am optimistic.

So far this Syrah has been the star of the red portfolio for me.

We had the last bottle at dinner at Joe’s of Westlake in the SF Bay Area. This has some time left for certain, but no shame in opening it now. The first thing that grabs me is stems, whether it had them or not. Not greenies, but a firm tannins. Beautiful fruit with a good dash of peppery spice. Long finish. I wouldn’t call it chewy, but certainly mouth filling fruit. A lovely wine. This came from the cave at Rhys nearby to our cellar at 51 degrees, never moving so provenance good.

Unfortunately I didn’t purchase the 2007 as I was focusing on the Skyline Syrah. I have purchased the Horseshoe since 2008 though, but the ‘08 is just an ok wine.