A nice Tuesday evening

This thread is for those one-off or eclectic nights where you have a good bottle (or 7) with a few friends, and feel welcome to post the spoils with or without your notes

Enjoyed this lineup with some delicious food at a local BYO place with some really outstanding, creative dishes
IMG_0931.jpg
17 Francois Cotat - Les Mont Damnes - clean, floral, a bit linear, with green herb. A benchmark Sancerre, pure as the driven snow. 93
17 Peter Michael L’apres Midi - an amalgam of grassy notes meets vanilla wood. An odd match, but it works 91
16 Aubert Sugar Shack - actually had more of an identity than the PM suav blanc. deep spicy notes with creamy lemon curd and ample weight/richness make this a friendly wine for some hard pairings - think langoustines and cream or fried quail with cayenne. I liked this more than the two times I’ve had it before. 94
07 LdH Blanco Vina Gravonia - You just can’t beat this wine with food. Its versatility is really unmatched in my rolodex of whites. Without comment to this particular vintage, year in and year out the gravonia shows its chameleon-like nature. The oft-mentioned notes of sherry, nuttiness, an oxidized character are again correct, but it’s still in the ball park of delicious white wine rather than amontillado. Very special. 95
2015 Cirq Treehouse - another dark knight for versatility. I was prepared not to like this wine based on the negativity after the sale of KB to Duckhorn, but I must say, this pinot showed off some serious bright, ripeness. It was creamy and red without a hint of confection. And offered generous acidity which made it also quite friendly with several dishes. Best pairing was risotto with morels. 95
2002 Caymus SS - a heaviness about this wine, with plum, some old library notes peeking through. It’s into a secondary phase but still retains some ripe fruit and balance. I’m not sure that this wine is as good in 5 years, with the idea that it may fall out of balance, but a special treat tonight. 94
2015 Scarecrow - eye opening wine for me. Decanted ~30 min before pouring. The cab purity with notes of mint and eucalyptus are evident on the first assessment. It has ripe black fruits with a strong mineral backbone. My wife enjoyed this wine perhaps more than I did; for me it came across as a really authentic Napa cab, much the way folks describe MACDONALD, but at the same time, I’ve had other single clone cabs (from Schrader, Lail, Carter, Terra Valentine, etc) that behaved in much the same way. So for me, it’s special and delicious, but not worth 3x the premium over similar products of lesser hype. I think you could beat this blind without too much effort. On the other hand, I’ve tasted a few young Beckstoffer cabs lately, and this is of a different breed. Whereas those tend toward more chocolatey with blue fruits (of course winemaking matters here), this was right down the fairway (and long). 96

Other Cotat cousin I believe. Any RS? How ripe is the 2017 Monts Damnes?

Nice catch, thank you - edited the post. To be honest, I don’t have much experience with Cotat, so please take that with a grain of salt - but to me this was not a very ripe wine. Whatever tree fruit notes come through are fairly soft and the texture is extremely light/fine. As expected, it was far more subtle, understated, and less ripe/round compared to the Peter Michael tasted alongside. I did not detect any significant RS, nor did my wife, who is fairly sensitive to that and sometimes mistakes fruit for sugar :wink: On the other hand, it was not particularly racy/acidic, so certainly not underripe. I would call it a balanced, elegant wine without RS, but I don’t have a reference for other vintages. Hope that helps.

What do you look for in assessing ripeness?

That’s a great note. I don’t have a ton of experience with Cotat but the dozen or so bottles I have had tend to vary wildly (I think in a cool way) from one vintage to the next. Cool vintages have alcohol below 14% and tend to have the balance but clear SB lineage that you outlined above. Warmer vintages can get towards 15% alcohol and be really ripe with some actual RS (not just ripeness). Almost like a German Riesling. I like both just good to know which one you are going to get before popping the cork!

excellent - please let me know your thoughts when you do! I have another and a grande cote that I’ll get into in the next year or two as well.

This article by Jamie Goode, copied from another thread was very helpful to me: http://www.worldoffinewine.com/news/ripeness-part-1-6876932?fbclid=IwAR1D6VzIaXE9w8SH8NK2kQHJ3UZugmavvR0qvK77Ny1bc-uZ0aEhLgmEmLw

Thanks! This is another good deep dive on Cotat and reference ripeness / residual sugar