Some more wines - Rougeard, Latour a Pomerol, Lahaye, Bise...

Another dinner with Manuel, this time at Racines.

2012 Benoit Lahaye ‘La Violaine’ - steely, minerally, powerful, precise and complex. Over the course of the evening it turned more red fruited and a touch of brioche emerged. Manuel says he finds nutmeg that wants to be caraway. A-

2000 Thomas Labaille ‘Cuvee Buster’ - sadly a bit heat damaged
2010 Tibouren Clos Cibonne Provence Rose - An interesting wine, quite good and food friendly. B

2016 Stephane Magnien Chambolle Musigny VV - taut, lively, but ultimately not that interesting. I have yet to be convinced by the producer though that might be because I’ve only had very young examples. B-/B

2005 Clos Rougeard ‘Poyeaux’ - I was concerned it might be shut down but this was firing on all cylinders. Lovely, velvety, and it just got better and better in the glass. A

1975 Figeac - corked

1982 Latour a Pomerol - gorgeous, rich and plush. In its prime. Delicious now, it will be delicious in 20 years. A

1996 Pierre Bise Coteaux de Layon Beaulieu - The nose wafts from the glass in an extravagant melange of pit fruit. On the palate it is delicious though not quite as amazing. B+/A- palate, A+ nose

Shame about that Figeac! Thanks for posting

Yes, it should have been wonderful.

Good to know where the 05 Rougeard Poyeux is.
I wonder if the 04 is also starting to rock.

No recent experience with any Rougeard 04s unfortunately. I only own 1 bottle so I’m holding back.

The 05 was part of a case purchase I split with John Gilman 9 years ago and I still have 5 more. Tempted to sell given the price run up but it’s so good…

I own some Magnien but am not yet sure about the wines. Not buying more until I see how they age.

No, don’t sell, in case you’ll want an 07/08 and into working out a trade just so I can add to my lone bottle of 05. Or better, just add it to any Rougeard tasting that we should find an excuse to do. [cheers.gif]

Shame about the Buster, the 1998 and 1999 have been pretty special in recent years. I’m also looking at the last of my 1996 and 1997 Pierre-Bise Coteaux de Layons and will miss them when they’re gone.

That 1996 was special.

Not a bad theme for a dinner one of these days.

Nah don’t sell, drink! You’ve already paid and stored it. Good data point, I’ve been wondering when to check in.

Thinking back to time of release I believe I remember nathan opining that 04 Loire reds would need more time than the 05s. Though he may have been talking about Baudry specifically.

The 2005 Joguet Franc de Pied has been spectacular when it is “on” - I had a couple bretty bottles. Like an idiot I drank through about a case too early, down to one left.

Not that they would necessarily take longer, but that it was a more “classic” vintage. At the time, 2005 was an anomaly from an alcohol and tannin perspective and many growers I spoke with had no idea how it would age, but found it exciting and impressive.

I had a 2004 Bourg a few months back that was absolutely stunning.

I am bringing an 04 poyeux to lucalis in Brooklyn this weekend and will report back on how its showing.

Thank you!

+1.

Sure thing! Its been probably 4 years since my last bottle and really looking forward to seeing how its drinking. Going to also enjoy a 99 Soldera that night. No I don’t drink like that very often (not often enough that is!!).

I’m sorry folks but on our trip to Lucalis we were told we could open one 750 ml bottle of wine with dinner and I chose to open the Soldera with the marguerita pizza. So nothing to report on the Rougeaurd. Will probably pull a cork on one in the next few months and will post TN then. FWIW, the Soldera was extraordinary, a perfect match, and at peak to my palate although no rush.

I had the 82 Lat a Pom last year I believe and it was fine.

While I do see it continuing to hold I don’t see its evolution leading to improvement.

Not quite the depth on the midpalate (would Coates say stuffing?) to think it would improve.