Tns: Recent wines incl Burgs, Barolo, VP, Muscadet, Moss Wood

2010 Jean Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Caillerets 1er
This shoes good density, displaying exotic notes trimmed by chalky acidity. It is voluminous in the mouth, but also shows some worrying nutty, poxy characters and is drying out on the back end. My guests loved it, I was rather concerned by the stage of its development.

2017 Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet sevre et Maine ‘Sur Lie’
Very fresh and fine, showing briny elements and almost a hint of just ripe canteloupe. Zippy and refreshing. Pass the oysters please.

2007 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis Foret 1er
I have had a few bottles of this in the past and a couple have been a tad advanced, but this was exceptional. Truly exceptional. Sugar coated fruits, great line and length. A multi-faceted wine perfectly juxtaposing the maturing fruits with the structure.
2005 Vietti Barolo Castiglione
At 14 years of age in a great spot. A wine that caresses, the tannins melted and relatively unobtrusive, allowing one to reflect on its savoury elements. Earthy, brambly notes wrap around dusty cherries. The finish is long.
1995 Moss Wood cabernet Sauvignon
When I enquired if my guests had any allergies they tongue in cheek responded ‘Margaret River Wine’. So bugger it I thought, I’m up for the challenge. Served blind. This is off the charts good. Black olive trimmed cassis fruits, with a certain savoury element. Still incredibly youthful. An exhilarating wine. My guests were blown away. I was left thinking that I wish I had kept it for another decade or two.

2002 Chevillon NSG Perrieres 1er
I have had a few of these and they have all been great. The open knit style of the 2002 vintage suits the masculine Chevillon style. Dripping with darker fruits and now regaled with sous bois, moss and mushroom complexity. Tannins are melting and it is delicious from the get go.
2006 Michel Lafarge Beaune ‘Greves’ 1er
Incredibly youthful. Still a translucent cherry red. The palate confirms the colour. All about petit fruits rouges, a touch of menthol and quite blocky, firmish tannins. Opens up but really needs another decade.
1994 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
A quiet Monday night and I enquire as to whether my dining companions would like another bottle. Port or Muscat was their response. So I found this. Still relatively primary showing figs, cloves, liquorice and refreshing, clean spirit. Relatively mid weight and focussed. Very good potential.

Demanding guests!

A bottle of port between four on a Monday night is not an ideal conclusion. Makes Tuesday a long day.

It’s been ages since I’ve had a Moss Wood cab, which is my mistake. Always punch well above their weight. I am afraid they have been sort of forgotten in an undiscriminating backlash vs “Oz wines” after the huge surge in demand long ago. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for some.

Port? Oh that’s right, it’s the cold winter in the antipodes!

That’s right, sub 70s at the moment. Port is essential to survive out here.
Neal, they are good, as are Vasse Felix, Cullen, Leeuwin, Woodlands, Deep Woods, Voyager Estate. Had an excellent Deep Woods reserve Chardonnay this week, a name to look out for, although no longer flying under the radar here having picked up the Jimmy Watson Trophy.

The “simple” Pepiere Muscadet is an unpretentious pleasure!

Indeed, also have some 2015 "Gorges’ to test drive.