TN: 1997 Joseph Drouhin Musigny

Lat bottle of this was July of 2014. This bottle from the same 6 pack. Super clean, well-stored bottles.

Hasn’t really budged much and my last note rings true. This a good, workmanlike Musigny, but it doesn’t seem that it will ever be great. Color has faded a bit since last bottle, showing some orange, less of the the lively red color. There are secondary notes of underbrush and tea, beef, on the nose, which also shows the heat of the vintage and is not entirely enticing. There is still some serious, chewy structure here amidst acidic, tart red fruit that has not really moved into secondary development yet. Long, persistent finish in the mouth. Couple more bottles to go, we’ll see…

How was Valdicava?

Someone has a good eye [cheers.gif]

It was still showing very young. 2010. In my thread last week on the older Uccelliera, I was bemoaning the fact that BdMs don’t really do it for me. Valdicava didn’t change that. It may be a personal style preference for me, maybe Sangiovese just doesn’t scratch that itch for me. Or just another bottle that wasn’t ready. Too big, ripe, structured. Too broad and monolithic. Other knowledgeable wine drinkers present liked the Valdicava more than I did. Also not entirely fair being on the table with the Musigny.

I’m guessing it’s an open weave metal table. It’s not the best for swirling, but it also much less likely to be found destroyed in your neighbors yard following a storm.

I love Drouhin’s Musigny. I have had the 2007 version. It is like your 1997. Very nice but you are expecting more. The 2008 version on the other hand is incredible. Love this wine.

I think that sums it up well, Don. We had that '07 at Rob’s b-day back in the fall. Your bottle, I think. Was very good, maybe tough night then to go up against the Rousseau Chambertin. Hope you are well.

neener