Help me pick 2017 wines to age for anniversaries

So my wife and I got married in 2017 and I wanted to buy several bottles of wine that we can have from 2017 at anniversaries down the line 5,10,20,25 etc. any suggestions. Max per bottle is around $500 but would not want to go to the max for each. Thanks

what do you like to drink?

Probably should’ve mentioned that. Bordeaux, Cabernet, Pinot. Although my favorite wine of the year so far has been an Aubert Chardonnay.

Hard to go wrong with Ridge Monte Bello.

Ed

Ridge is a good choice. Bordeaux had a tough 17. Maybe a Figeac? Sauternes was great, though.

Bedrock Heritage 2017 for something different but with aging capabilities.

Talking only about France:
2017 is not going to be a great vintage in Bordeaux (in red) - only the best wines might be for extended keeping, but the sweeties of Sauternes and neighbours seem to be very fine.
In Burgundy (red) it´s also a rather earlier drinking vintage …

So I´d recommend to stay in the Rhone valley: although not as great as 2016 (and 2015) I would either look in Chateauneuf-du-Pape - or in the North - Cote-Rotie, Hermitage, Cornas … the usual suspects have made outstanding wines that will keep for decades … however the acidity might be more noticable than in previous years.

FWIW: Rostaing made great 2017s … and also Stephane Ogier (but he´s more on the modern side).

No need to recommend Chave … flirtysmile

Was reading that 2017 isn’t great in Bordeaux. Would the 1st growths still be a decent option for the long term?

Turley Petite Syrah’s will age for 30-40 years. 4 of the 5 they made for 2017 had very high ratings (96-98 pts.) including the Pesenti, Hayne, Rattlesnake and Library Vineyard. Cost would be around $40-$90 bottle.

You can’t go wrong with something like a Haut Brion, but you are going to be pushing your price envelope

There are a lot of good 2017 Burgundies. Germany had an excellent vintage in 2017.

Was 2017 the year of the great fires in California? Is smoke taint causing any issues with 2017s? I would think less with Ridge than with others as it is further south, but really do not know.

Things that come to mind for 2017:
-White burgundy; the couple PYCM St. Aubins I’ve had are very nice.
-Riesling: the 2017 Kellers are electric. Alzinger in Austria was very successful too.
-Rhones: I’ve had some Vincent Paris St. Joseph that was sappy and delicious.

Would you buy St.Aubins and St.Josephs to store for decades?

Alzinger: YES, I had a very fine 1997 GV recently!

I think well made examples of St. Joseph can go 15-20 years. Recently had some 2005s from Cuilleron that are showing really nicely. St. Aubin maybe 10-15, though in the hands of a good producer I think they will stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of Beaune. Haven’t tried any of the 2017s from more prestigious appellations, so the St. Jo is my only data point so far.

That’s a lot of anniversaries!

Well that’s then plan. Defiantly going to get 2017 Haut-Brion for long term, D’yquem as well. The rest I’m not sure yet

I was thinking of Germans for 2017, John. Maybe some Loire wines? And you could do worse than keep one of those Auberts out 5 or 10 years—they become something different and still exciting at that age—or they used to, anyway…

Just a little (bad) humor on your “2017 wines”, John :wink:

Those are almost certainly excellent choices. If you’re willing to play in that league, some good N. Rhones would be appropriate as well, such as Chave Hermitage, and Chave St. Joseph, Clape Cornas, etc. Those wines are pretty much guaranteed to have long lives and be appropriate for future anniversary celebrations.

I think someone mentioned Austria: I’m a big fan of Austrian Riesling, and have been collecting for 20+ years. Many age beautifully, and drink as well as great white Burgundies with age. I just drank a 2004 Nikolaihof Steiner Hund that was brilliant, and has many years left. Alzinger Steinertal is another that is already available (the Steiner Hund tends to be a delayed release from the winery, so is not available yet). 2017 was an excellent year in Austria.

2017 Chablis (and white Burgundy in general) is reputed to be excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to go for some Dauvissat 1er Crus, or Fevre Grand Cru (particularly Les Clos).

2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs. In figuring that you are aging the wine and that your tastes may change, this is something that should be a no brainer and flat out gorgeous in 5-15 years from now.

2017 Vintage Ports are declared. Some reviewers are comparing them with the 1945’s. I’ve not tasted any yet, but people who’s palates I trust have, and the wines are apparently monumental. If only I was a few decades younger. Should be released this summer.