TN: Willamette Valley May 2019

WILLAMETTE VALLEY MAY 2019 - (5/17/2019-5/18/2019)

Solo visit to Willamette between gigs! Two days in the valley plus a bonus tasting at Domaine Serene in Portland.
Antica Terra
In their meticulously decorated tasting room, candles, mood music and all.

• NV Lahaye Berthelot Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (5/17/2019)
    Good way to start the tasting with a legitimately interesting Champagne. Turbid, with slight oxidation on nose and palate. But some nutty notes. Nice! (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Antica Terra Angelicall - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/17/2019)
    Pinot Noir rose. Very dark. Blackberry spice under some reductive notes. Very pinot driven. Spicy and smoky on palate. Not really one of those “crushable” roses - but that is fine given it is $100. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Bodegas Rafael Palacios Valdeorras Sorte O Soro - Spain, Galicia, Valdeorras (5/17/2019)
    This was one of those wines I rate charitably but ultimately don’t really “get.” Gadeoy grape. Reduced on nose. Acid forward, mineral driven, with grapefruit and citrus notes. (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Antica Terra Chardonnay Aequorin - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Slightly smoky, golden raisin notes on nose. Very neutral, in what I’m now calling the “Ceritas” style. Moderately acidic. Not my bag. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine du Nozay Sancerre - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (5/17/2019)
    Incredibly, this was the star of the show of the Antica Terra tasting. Richer than a typical Sauvignon Blanc on the nose. Good acid, lovely structure. Beautifully executed rendition of an otherwise typical Sauvignon Blanc profile. (91 pts.)
  • 2016 Antica Terra Pinot Noir Ceras - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Gorgeous color. Nose of roses, earth, and seashell. Palate to match. Lovely. Nicer than the last time I tasted it. Bit more bottle age? Setting (lovely tasting area, with candles)? (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Antica Terra Pinot Noir Antikythera - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/17/2019)
    Have always wanted to love this wine but have never really bonded with it. Super intense nose - roses, menthol, earth, spice. Medium tannin and acidic structure. On palate, seemed a little closed. Is that a function of where it is age-wise? Still beautiful. Price performance less so. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Lillian Winery Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/17/2019)
    Had tried the luxury cuvee version of this wine previously and it had left me cold. Today I liked it better, but the setting had something to do with it. Deep intense purple color. Beefy, olive, and pepper nose. Pepper and spice on the palate. Really nice! (90 pts.)

Patricia Green Cellars
Brand new and beautiful tasting room.

• 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Sauvignon Blanc - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Not crazy about SB but I could drink this on a sunny afternoon and feel just fine. High acid, neutral style, nicely balanced. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Medici - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/17/2019)
    We have a few bottles of this (I think) and based on this tasting I think they could benefit from a little age. Earth, roses, strawberry, cherries on nose. Medium-strong bumpy acid on palate with a bit of a mineral undertone. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Coury Clone Hyland Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Let’s hop on a plane to France. Deep cherry / candy on nose with a touch of funky reduction. I get red apple peel. Deep fruit character, maybe a touch of pseudosweetness. Could age very nicely. Very Burgundian. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Notorious - USA, Oregon, Yamhill County (5/17/2019)
    Hope I’m not fooling myself but I liked their priciest wine the best. Beautiful, complex nose, with some vanilla, baking spices, roses, cherries. Gorgeous balance on palate with medium tannins. Built to last. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Wadensvil Block Estate Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/17/2019)
    Think I liked this wine better than the last time I had it, about two weeks ago. Notes consistent with prior but a bit more heat/pepper today. More black fruit on nose. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir The Anklebreaker Block Olenik Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/17/2019)
    Norma’s favorite from last time. Memorable name, to be sure. Not that concentrated looking, but super aromatic and fruit forward. Baking spices, allspice. Medium tannins but built to last. Nice wine! (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Bishop Block Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/17/2019)
    First of two magic single block selections - what PGC does best. Just classic cherry raspberry nose, earth, baking spice. Beautiful on palate. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Block 1B Balcombe Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/17/2019)
    The legend! (well, one of them). Beautiful concentration - rich classic Oregon character. Roses, earth, baking spice, cherry. Great balance on palate, not overly acidic. Drinkable now but put a few away. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Fat Cat Cuvee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Closest thing to crushable here. Fun and approachable, with cherries and spice. Pop and pour and get after it. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Patricia Green Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/17/2019)
    Norma obsessed about this wine but I don’t see it. Not super aromatic but pretty citrus notes on nose. Bright, elegant on palate, but not worthy of obsession. (89 pts.)

Beaux Freres Vineyard
Super tasting with bonus trip in the golf cart to see the vineyards and talk vine management technique, biodynamics, and Voldemort (phylloxera)

• 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Abbott Claim Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/17/2019)
    Pretty nice way to start! Tobacco, spice, cherries on the nose. Spice forward on the palate, esp. allsprice. Just beautiful. From Ken Wright grapes. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Jessie James - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/17/2019)
    Never heard of this one before but I liked it a lot. Bready, earthy character on nose, cherry forward. Bit of a bite midpalate with more aggressive tannins. Done with whole cluster, and built to improve over time. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Sequitur - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/17/2019)
    A blend of clones in this new-ish vineyard. I think the vineyard needs to mature a bit to really achieve complexity of flavor but a nice start! Less vibrant on the nose than the other wines but some nuance. Not exciting but well balanced. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Beaux Frères Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/17/2019)
    Just classic. Typical aromaticity, with rich cherries and spice. On palate it’s spice forward with a decent tannic structure. Drink it, age it - either will work well. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Belles Soeurs Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/17/2019)
    Pow! This was great. Blend of three vineyards including Sequitur. Cherries, earth, touch of yellow fruit including banana, and tobacco. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Palissage - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/17/2019)
    Different vine management technique on the same vines as Beaux Freres vineyard. Does it make a difference? It took a head-to-head for me to realize it, but the answer is “yes.”

More aromatic and fruit-forward than its brother. Lovely, more approachable. (93 pts.)

Domaine Drouhin
At their open house, so was elbow to elbow with devotees, some wearing fragrance. Stuff still shone.

• 2018 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Édition Rosé - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/18/2019)
    Finally, a rose that I can crush and not think too hard about. Pretty pink color. Fun and citrusy on nose, but more round and rich on palate. Some refreshing austerity in finish. (88 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Chardonnay Arthur - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/18/2019)
    Starting the tasting with a bang! Rich on nose with a touch of malolactic. Meursault profile - rich, with mineral and grapefruit (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Chardonnay Édition Limitée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/18/2019)
    Nice and rich on nose. Touch of oak. Beautiful and expressive on palate with good acid structure. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/18/2019)
    Yeah, I know it’s their “basic” wine but man this was good. Beautiful on nose. Rose, pepper, cherry, earth. On palate, tannins have started to soften, with smoke and mineral. Just lovely. (93 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Édition Limitée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (5/18/2019)
    Knockout on the nose. Rose, cherries, earth. On palate, a moderate attack. Needs time but beautiful already. (91 pts.)

Bergstrom
Unfamiliar with these guys so wanted to check it out. Nice to have some aged examples.

• 2016 Bergström Chardonnay Sigrid - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/18/2019)
    Restrained, touch of oak. Built to age. Spice, mineral - great (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Bergström Pinot Noir Silice - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/18/2019)
    The Syrah of Pinot. Fruit forward, nose of a hot weather wine, and a deep red color. Spice and rich fruit on palate. Great, but a little simple. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Bergström Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/18/2019)
    Aromatic - earth cherry nose. Good acid structure with real tannins. Touch of smoky oak. Needs time. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Bergström Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/18/2019)
    Nicely aged. Some plummy earthiness on nose. Fruit core. Oak underneath. Mellowed nicely, but would prefer raw material with a bit more fruit. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Bergström Pinot Noir Homage - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/18/2019)
    Pretty cool to be able to taste some aged Oregon PN. This bottle had been open for a couple of hours so was good to go! Still some primary fruit on nose, but touched with the same aged notes as the 2012 Shea. Still acid forward but a beautiful touch of light lavender on mid palate. Great stuff. (92 pts.)

Adelsheim
Little bonus drive-by on the way back to Portland.

• 2018 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Rosé - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/18/2019)
    Typical pinot noir rose. Acid, fruit, fun.
  • 2016 Adelsheim Chardonnay Ribbon Springs - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/18/2019)
    Very Chablis-like on nose. Mineral and grapefruit forward. Some rounder malo flavor on palate. Nice, but not very complex. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Calkins Lane Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/18/2019)
    More mineral on nose, with cherry notes. Good acid, softer tannins. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Boulder Bluff - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/18/2019)
    Volcanic soil. More fruit forward, and brighter, with strawberry notes. Nicely balanced. Maybe a little bit of bumpy acidity. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Ribbon Springs - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/18/2019)
    From Ribbon Ridge. More spice forward on nose, with acidic finish. Lacks a little complexity. Just didn’t leave an impact (88 pts.)

Domaine Serene (Tasting Room in Portland)
Stopped by for a glass and got talked into a full flight. Didn’t want to like this stuff but I sure did.

• 2015 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Fleur de Lis Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/18/2019)
    Powerful, aromatic. Fruit and baking spices. Little rough acidity but generally really nice (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Abbey Oaks - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/18/2019)
    Crap, I really like a Domaine Serene wine! Spice and rose forward. Beautiful black tea notes on the palate. Not super concentrated but just lovely. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Côte Sud Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/18/2019)
    Black tea and roses on the nose. Quite aromatic. Lovely acid structure on palate with black tea and a touch of pseudosweet. Softer tannin than expected (91 pts.)

Great trip! Everyone was incredibly nice and helpful. Tempted to go back for a little more…
Posted from CellarTracker

A nice list of notes! It seems popular to bash on Domaine Serene here, but I agree that they do actually make good wines. Their Burgundy venture (Chateau de la Cree) provide interesting comparisons/contrasts.

Thanks Tom. Yes, no reason to be anything but honest. I wanted to love Antica Terra and hate Domaine Serene but the reality was different.

Speaking of Domaine Serene, I did have a glass of their white Burgundy afterward (I didn’t do a tasting note because I was palate-fatigued) and I thought it was excellent.

loved my visit to Patricia Green. one of the best surprises of the tasting was that Sauv Blanc I thought. But always love their single vineyards. Wish I would have gone down the street to Beaux Freres afterwards!

. . . not surprising after that marathon of tastings! Nice concise notes. Thanks.

Well it was over two days, thankfully!

Thanks for the kind words. I hate tl;dr tasting notes

Agree. I really enjoy drinking the Pinots from Serene. I was in their wine club for a couple of years when most of their Pinots were ONLY $65. I just can’t justify buying them now when you can get just as good wine for 1/3 of the price.