TN: 2014 MacDonald Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

• 2014 MacDonald Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (5/19/2019)
    1-1/2 decant Wow, much more accessible than the 13 last year, which was tight as a drum. This was really a pleasure to drink. An amazing seamless wine full of red and black fruits, pipe tobacco, spicy oak, and red flowers. Moderate tannins and a long smokey finish. Don’t be afraid to open one of these.

Posted from CellarTracker

Totally agree. Popped one of these open back in March for some friends that lean more towards European old world in style. They had never even heard of MacDonald but absolutely loved it. Gorgeous stuff.

Awesome!

That is the perfect kind of note: one that gives others such useful information!

I think I missed that year.

My first year on the list, I missed the email! D’Oh!

Luckily, they didn’t drop me and I got it going the next year. I am really looking forward to these.

Thanks again for posting that.

Thanks–I’ve been contemplating opening one.

Ch. Latour of CA.

I’ve never had a MacDonald, so I plan to open a 2014 in a couple weeks. Can anyone with personal experience suggest a decant time? I’ve read cellartracker notes, and the advice varies from “no decant” to “decant 12 hours”. There will be 6 of us. Thanks!

Anyone have a 15 lately?

We opened one last December for a dinner. Popped the cork at 8am. Decanted around 4pm. Began drinking at 6pm and there were absolutely no complaints.

We had open, I don’t believe decanted, for an hour or two before drinking at a tasting we had last year. Showed beautifully; it was one of my wines of the year. I don’t think you need worry–it’s not that tight. Open it an hour before and maybe pour out the first glass to let breath up, if needed, then hit the rest. Of course, mileage will vary…

8 hours if that is possible, but two hours works well if you can’t execute on a long decant time. You will love it!

We had this back in November while in San Clemente CA. It was clearly best wine of the night and really does need a minimum of a 6 hour double decant.

Recommend a decant for maybe a few hours.

• 2014 MacDonald Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (3/2/2019)
    Finally got around to opening a bottle from my first allocation. Decanted briefly, although recommend a much longer decant. Followed over the course of a couple of hours, sharing with friends. Initially the tannins showed, but eventually moved to the back and let this wine shine. Deep brooding dark fruit, pencil lead, cigar, and cedar. Very much classic Bordeaux in style. This was a “wow” wine around the table with everyone remarking on the deliciousness and complexity. Not that I ever had a doubt, but one of the finest wines I’ve personally had. This should drink well for years and years, but it was great last night, albeit young. I’ll leave a few points off for additional maturity…truly outstanding. (98 pts.)

Thank you for your suggestions. I will go with an 8 hour decant, and report back in a few weeks.