TNs across time: 2010 Huet Haut-Lieu Sec Chenin Blanc (not shitting the bed)

I thought about tagging my current TN to another thread, perhaps like I did with the 2010 Sec Le Mont (LM) earlier this week when I posted in the 2012 Hute ‘shit the bed’ thread. However, this 2010 Sec Haut-Lieu (HL) is drinking so well, and given this is my final bottle after what have been 5 others over the past 7 years, figured it oughta take it’s own thread.

I know there is interest both here, as well as on CT, related to the Huet wines. Even most recently, there are some TNs on CT that speak to sherried/oxidizing 2010 Huet Secs, which caused me this week to open a few of mine. For me, this HL beat the LM for the energy and fruit depth, and I have no concerns for at least the HL, and the LM for that matter too, being on the way down. Whether there is bottle variation, storage issues by some users, etc, I do not find issues with my 2010s this week. Below is the journey from my first bottle back in 2012, through today’s bottle. Thanks for reading.

• 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (5/17/2019)
    My final 750 of HL 2010. Out of concern for some recent comments from others about the 2010s, I opened a Sec LM earlier this week that was drinking great, and this HL is the same. Even moreso than the LM, this HL has a lot of remaining acidity, and so much of it, that I commented to my wife over dinner that it was over-running the fruit. After the bottle had been open three hours, and a little less chilled, I poured off another few ounces and tasted it again. The grapefruit/citrus impression is not so intense, and the fruit is allowed to come forward. What comes through is some honey, green apple, nectarine, tangy peach and some flinty notes. Yes, the grapefruit is still there, but the balance is better. Plan to to retaste tomorrow, as I have enough for one more good size glass…revisiting yesterdays bottle with another glass. This acidity continues to be the strength of this wine, the energy for the expression now and likely it’s future ahead. The fruit depth remains fresh and lively, so all together, this is lovely, driven with power and freshness.
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (9/8/2016)
    From 375, my last one. Shared with the Dr Mrs, we crushed this bottle in less than an hour. Really good. Fresh, the acidity remains lively, through the lens of pure lime. The texture has a honeyed texture. Peach, orange. Finishes dry, with a zing of acid and mineral. I got one 750 left and there is nothing but upside ahead. So good.
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (10/22/2014)
    Opened from 375 y/day, got a good temp on the wine tonight. The '10 Huet Secs, for me the wines are all terrific. Been a year since my last one of these L-HL, tastes as good today as it did then. Terrific texture of honey, with fruit of mandarin orange, mango, lime and lemon peel. The marriage of acid and fruit in all these Sec '10s is just fantastic, and I own a handful of each of the cuvees still, I just wish I had a case of each left.
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (8/29/2013)
    From 375, opened last night. There is a bitterness I like about this wine, perhaps from the high level of acidity. Green apple, tangerine, nectarine skin (which is part of the bitterness) and lemon rind (the other). Finishes with stone fruits and what rings as a hint of black licorice (again, the taut expression). We had this with a kale salad last night, along with a lemon-olive oil dressing and it went smashing. For those who shy away from acidity, then you’ll steer clear of this bottling. Me, I love it.
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (6/17/2013)
    Opened two days ago from 375. Had pruchases a handful more of this size recently, and now aggravated I didn’t buy the rest of them, as they’re now sold out. The 2010 Huet Secs are such beauties, this one again showing really good. Mandarin orange, mango, zesty lime, mint and little chalky note in the finish. Just terrific.
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (6/3/2012)
    This bottle followed the 2010 Sec Le Mont that we finished off just along side this Haut Lieu. Having the benefit of both bottles together makes for a vivid tasting comparison. All in, I have to give the better praise to the Le Mont, as to me it seems more complete. So the differences? Well, the Haut Lieu seems to have much higher acid to me, seen in both green apple, mango and crisp pineapple. The acid really dominates the fruit, and I love acid, but it’s more treble than balance in comparison to the Le Mont. There is a grapefruit note here, a tart lemon, both in the finish, along with what is a very nice, pure mineral water type component. The Haut Lieu is simply has more acidic tension, it will need more time to sofen that the Le Mont, which shows great potential but also is in better balance now.

Posted from CellarTracker

The bottle of 2010 Sec LHL I tasted certainly was not oxidized. It did have a deepening golden color, not brown/brass, but it was not odd. Seems like there’s enough acid with this sec to hold up for awhile longer.

Will it get better? No idea but it is nice now.

My recent bottle was very similar, which was a big improvement over the 2010 CdB and LM secs I opened earlier in the week.

Elliot

All of my 2010’s have been really good and continue to be so.

I haven’t had any problems with my many 2010’s (yet!). I’m glad to hear neither you nor your bottles are currently shitting the bed.

Cheers,
Warren