Will the Yakima Valley AVA Ever Produce Wines that Rival Great Bordeaux Blends in Cali & France?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
GregT

Re: Will the Yakima Valley AVA Ever Produce Wines that Rival Great Bordeaux Blends in Cali & France?

#51 Post by GregT » June 3rd, 2019, 6:03 pm

You can also look at Pepper Bridge. And even smaller producers like Robert Karl or Spring Valley. Those wines age very well. In fact, I've had Columbia Crest wines at over 30 years and they were shockingly good.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Will the Yakima Valley AVA Ever Produce Wines that Rival Great Bordeaux Blends in Cali & France?

#52 Post by Kris Patten » June 4th, 2019, 6:18 am

WA will catch CA before it catches BDX. The single largest difference is going to be the acceptance that in most areas the single greatest contribution to a blend will be a foundation of Merlot or Franc, not Cabernet. Problem is both have image issues while Cab still garners top $ from consumers, so many in less generous locations continue to add Merlot or Syrah to bolster Cab.

To Greg, lots of wines age well in WA, to this day some of the best wines I have had were the Ste. Michelle Cold Creek wines from the early 1980s, 1983 being the best, the old David Lake wines from Red Willow and Sagemoor and the old QC wines.
Question is (same for most Napa/Sonoma) are they better after the 10 or 15 year mark, whereas in BDX I think that's a resounding yes, especially over $50, in WA and CA, while there are some outliers, I think many are just older.
ITB

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 4th, 2019, 7:43 am

It won't be like Bordeaux but who wants Bordeaux all the time? Within their style, in terms of showcasing their fruit and terroir, WA St wines are quality equals to the Bordeaux grape wines made over there and here in CA.

The aging question is to be determined but I had a 94 DeLille Chaleur and a 96 Woodward Canyon Artist Series these past two years that I'm sure would stand with some exceptional first and second growths from the same vintages.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by R_Gilbane » June 4th, 2019, 8:14 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:43 am
It won't be like Bordeaux but who wants Bordeaux all the time? Within their style, in terms of showcasing their fruit and terroir, WA St wines are quality equals to the Bordeaux grape wines made over there and here in CA.

The aging question is to be determined but I had a 94 DeLille Chaleur and a 96 Woodward Canyon Artist Series these past two years that I'm sure would stand with some exceptional first and second growths from the same vintages.

GLENN! How the heck are ya?
Bobby

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by P Intag » June 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Not Yakima, but I was damn impressed by a 2007 Chateau Rollat "Edouard de Rollat" (Walla Walla) that I tried last year. Beautiful wine and definitely Bordeaux leaning, style-wise.
Paul

Brandon R

#56 Post by Brandon R » June 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm

For as many Washington wines as I've drunk, I've still never had a Ch. Rollat. Are they still in business? A quick glance at their site sure doesn't give any indication, but they only have 2008-2010 wines listed for sale.
B. Redman

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Ron Slye » June 4th, 2019, 2:06 pm

P Intag wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm
Not Yakima, but I was damn impressed by a 2007 Chateau Rollat "Edouard de Rollat" (Walla Walla) that I tried last year. Beautiful wine and definitely Bordeaux leaning, style-wise.
Oh yes. Those are great wines -- I have some resting in the cellar in fact!

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Kris Patten » June 4th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Brandon R wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm
For as many Washington wines as I've drunk, I've still never had a Ch. Rollat. Are they still in business? A quick glance at their site sure doesn't give any indication, but they only have 2008-2010 wines listed for sale.
You can find them in Costco S. 4th.
ITB

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by john stimson » June 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Very late to the party on this one. My main input is that folks seem to want to make judgements on these wines at 6-8 years of age, but these are Bordeaux blends and as with other places in the world, they are best at 15 plus years of age. Not many folks are drinking and assessing them at this stage. The thought of assessing a Bordeaux at 6-8 years of age is admittedly a bit silly.

They are hard to compare with Bordeaux, but the best Washington blends at 15-20 years can be beautiful world class wines. I would second what others have said about the classic wines here. Ste Michelle cabs from the late 70's, and 80's could be stellar wines, and Woodward Canyon wines from the 1990's now can be beautiful aged cabs that have improved markedly with age. Many of the new crop of wines don't have enough of a track record to have aged this long, but for the well made ones, I am very optimistic.

For those outside of the region, I would suspend judgement on the younger wines, and if you have a chance at an older wine, I would jump at it.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Josh Grossman » June 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm

john stimson wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Very late to the party on this one. My main input is that folks seem to want to make judgements on these wines at 6-8 years of age, but these are Bordeaux blends and as with other places in the world, they are best at 15 plus years of age. Not many folks are drinking and assessing them at this stage. The thought of assessing a Bordeaux at 6-8 years of age is admittedly a bit silly.

They are hard to compare with Bordeaux, but the best Washington blends at 15-20 years can be beautiful world class wines. I would second what others have said about the classic wines here. Ste Michelle cabs from the late 70's, and 80's could be stellar wines, and Woodward Canyon wines from the 1990's now can be beautiful aged cabs that have improved markedly with age. Many of the new crop of wines don't have enough of a track record to have aged this long, but for the well made ones, I am very optimistic.

For those outside of the region, I would suspend judgement on the younger wines, and if you have a chance at an older wine, I would jump at it.
I do like Woodward Canyon and Betz's Columbia Valley meritage offerings (I have not tried Heart of the Hill). I do love Syrah from all over Washington. I think I might of just tried wine from too young of vines and/or producers who mass produced grapes and didn't practice things like dropping bad clusters.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by john stimson » June 4th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Syrah is a different kettle of fish. Not many people knew how to make Syrah early on in Washington, so many older wines were picked too late and vinified like cabs. Some still are. so it's hard to fine good syrah from the 90's (although last time I drank wine with Greg Harrington from gramercy, he mentioned that he was really liking some of the early Glen Fiona wines now. I think their first vintage might have been 98, and I may actually have a bottle). I bought Cristophe's first vintage of syrah at Cayuse in 97, and bottles lately have been ok, but not anything remarkable.

Gabe Berk

#62 Post by Gabe Berk » June 12th, 2019, 11:50 am

Just ordered some wines from today's Force Majeure release. Jeb Dunnuck is a big fan hence the scores-been a fan too for the last 4 vintages. If he's handing out these scores to First and Super 2nd Growths in Bordeaux AND in Washington, perhaps the Yakima AVA does produce wines that rival Bordeaux?

2016 SJR Vineyard Syrah 100 Pts
2016 Estate Cabernet 99 Pts "This brilliant wine needs to be forgotten for 4-5 years and will keep for 2-3 decades."
2016 Tempranillo 97 Pts
2016 Epinette (right bank blend) 96 pts

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Josh Grossman » June 12th, 2019, 11:55 am

Gabe Berk wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:50 am
Just ordered some wines from today's Force Majeure release. Jeb Dunnuck is a big fan hence the scores-been a fan too for the last 4 vintages. If he's handing out these scores to First and Super 2nd Growths in Bordeaux AND in Washington, perhaps the Yakima AVA does produce wines that rival Bordeaux?

2016 SJR Vineyard Syrah 100 Pts
2016 Estate Cabernet 99 Pts "This brilliant wine needs to be forgotten for 4-5 years and will keep for 2-3 decades."
2016 Tempranillo 97 Pts
2016 Epinette (right bank blend) 96 pts
I love their syrahs! Maybe the Cab I had was just a bad bottle.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Mel Knox » June 12th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Lettie Teague's article about faking 82 Mouton with Andrew Will wines lends credence to the notion that wines from this region can excel.
ITB

Jeb Dunnuck

#65 Post by Jeb Dunnuck » June 12th, 2019, 1:26 pm

The answer to this question is a resounding yes... although this is from Walla Walla, I'm going with close enough. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
JebDunnuck.com

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Kris Patten » June 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Jeb Dunnuck wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 1:26 pm
The answer to this question is a resounding yes... although this is from Walla Walla, I'm going with close enough. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Pretty sure the old WC Dedication Cabs were from Champoux and I can't remember the other vineyard, Dionysus maybe. Champoux is firmly in Horse Heaven AVA.
Last edited by Kris Patten on June 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Jeb Dunnuck

#67 Post by Jeb Dunnuck » June 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Jeb Dunnuck wrote:
Pretty sure the old WC Dedication Cabs were from Champoux and I can't remember ththe other vineyard, Dionysus maybe. Champoux is firmly in Horse Heaven AVA.
That's a good point... I think they planted their estate vineyard in... mid 1970? I'll reach out and try to see where this fruit came from. Also had a Merlot (close to the same age but I'm blanking on the vintage) from them at the same dinner that was brilliant as well.
JebDunnuck.com

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Kris Patten » June 12th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Jeb Dunnuck wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Jeb Dunnuck wrote:
Pretty sure the old WC Dedication Cabs were from Champoux and I can't remember ththe other vineyard, Dionysus maybe. Champoux is firmly in Horse Heaven AVA.
That's a good point... I think they planted their estate vineyard in... mid 1970? I'll reach out and try to see where this fruit came from. Also had a Merlot (close to the same age but I'm blanking on the vintage) from them at the same dinner that was brilliant as well.
We can agree Rick and team crafted some great wines that stand the test of time.

Kris
ITB

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Mel Knox » June 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I looked at the question as 'will eastern washington ever make....'...not will the yakima valley ....my bad!
With all the fuss made over Red Mtn somebody should be doing something special. Offhand I like the Cadence Tapteil and the Q Creek Golitzine.
ITB

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by brigcampbell » June 12th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm
I have not had any recent vintages of Andrew Will, so cannot comment. But as noted above I have loved their wines from the 90s. I must say that I have not been that impressed with WA cab and cab blends either. The one recent exception was JB Neufeld -- if I were buying WA cab blends to age that would be one of my top choices. Let us know what you think when you open any of the above!
And the "Old Goat" is amazing, they're really doing a great job.

News Flash: for all that want to test the WA waters JB has participated in the last few Berserkerday events with wild enthusiasm.

Return to “Wine Talk”