Rue Chottes-- the hippest street in town....

Of mild interest to me. Opened the Rousseau 2000 ("Clos des Ruchottes), a monopole Wed night and had some leftover last night with magret and fiddleheads. Not enough for two…so…I remembered I had bought some 2002 Georges Mugneret “Gevrey Chambertin”, which is made from young vines Ruchottes-Chambertin. (Their holdings had developed a disease and a portion had to be replanted; they made a villages in a couple of vintages in that era, which was superb and a superb value.) So…we were able to do a little comparison of the two wines , essentially from the same vineyard (and purchased at the same time by their owners and Bonnefond, whose version Christophe Roumier makes.) Interesting, that they were very much related and both delicious and regal, even.

5/19: duck breasts. Just delicious and elegant wine that showed well upon opening and a little aeration and thereafer for a couple days. Spicy red fruits good finish, though not super concentrated. Long though. Rousseau Ruchottes-Chambertin. 2000

5/19: also with leftover 2000 Rousseau, the 2002 Mugneret "Gevrey Chambertin", which is young vines Ruchottes.Clearly related to each other, thought the 2002 is ever so much more charming and fruity and smoother. The fruity finish is very long… Both are wonderful, though the 2002 is more hedonistic at this point, the 2000 is no slouch…(The fruit character is , IMO, heavenly in the 2002s, and this wine , though still fairly primary, is delicious to drink.)

Really interesting experience, with the vintage differences shining through on both of these terrific wines.

Nice notes, and an interesting comparison, Stuart, thanks,

FWIW, I think the two are in different parts of the climat, the Rousseau from Ruchottes Dessus and the other from Ruchottes du Bas (from Winehog); apparently the former has more limestone (see Neal Martin tasting Vinous:Vinous | Explore All Things Wine). I looked into it because I have some '02 from F. Esmonin, also from Dessus. It is supposed to be richer (and seems to be), but not as minerally as the Rousseau, which I have never had. Doubt I’ll be able to source some anytime soon at a price that I can afford.

Joshua, the story goes that when the holdings of a defunct estate became available, Charles Rousseau orchestrated a purchase with the two others, as it was too expensive for any of them in its entirety. Rousseau kept the “Clos des Ruchottes” for himself. Not surprisingly, historically, when something is a “clos”, i.e., enclosed by the monks or whoever, it is perceived as superior to the vineyard around it; I don’t think it was really ever just to mark the boundaries of ownership.

These wines are clearly related; due to the vintage difference , it is not possible to say how closely. But, it is clear, surprisingly, to me.

I have long loved the “lesser” grand crus at Rousseau and feel that the Mazy is the sweet spot in their holdings; the Ruchottes coming close to that. The Clos de la Roche an undervalued holding. At least they were once affordable vis a vis the “big 3” there.

Yes, I think you’re right that it’s not a true Clos. I have a Mazy from '08 that I am giving more time to rest, so we’ll see how that goes. Enjoy!