A lineup that Alfert would approve

For tonight:
I think, as a Bordeaux newbie, I will open and taste a bit early PM and decide if it needs excessive air exposure
The wines will be tasted blind, all 3 together
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxjshDyDWIw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

My bottle of 96 JG was corked so it’s a bit hard to tell, but from the structure it seemed like it needed about 50 more years in the bottle.

Where? Booking right now . . . .

Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of that odd, green sculpture, behind bottles of Sociando, amusing? Like abstract stalks of asparagus. Claus, wasn’t it you with that other very unique sculpture in another wine picture?

Incidentally, I have all of these wines, too. Just grabbed some 2001 and 2003 JG Cuvee. Looking to do a comparative line-up one day.

Both the 95 and 95 JC are gorgeous, but they really are still quite youthful. Big expressions of Cab Sav fruit.

The 3 wines are all very structured and austere, but with plenty of delicious fruit behind.
The JG has an extra shot of oak/vanilla taint that needs to integrate. But it was only bottled 21 years ago…
IMO this is really great Bordeaux, despite being “only” Haut Medoc
The sculpture was made by a great and generous man in all respects, the fine artist Nils Erik Gjerdevik, unfortunately now deceased. He was also a dear friend, who I had the pleasure to be with in many wine or art related arrangements

Cool link, some really nice large-scale works and installlations!

Count me jealous. Robert, where are you procuring the JG? Production is so tiny, and I see it so rarely.

Great line-up, Claus, looking forward to hearing how they turn out!

Kelly, I agree it’s very suspicious - I suspect the über Geek of buying a share of SM so he can keep an annual stash for himself - how long until the “Cuvée R.A.”?

Like in romance, a civilized person must keep his/her confidences!

J/k. These bottles pop up from time to time. K&L had a smattering no too long ago. Likewise, I found some 2001 and 2003 as well. Nothing magical, I just do that “google” thing from time to time. Or have my associates handle it. :slight_smile:

Prices are up, though, ranging generally from $80-$100.

Solano Cellars in Berkeley seems to have a decent inventory. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I passed recently on some 05 from Flatiron (a very trusted source) only because, based on my recent experience with the 00, I would prefer to drink them while (I am) still vertical. :frowning:

Verve has the 2005 at $125, which seems steep to me. But tempting.

[rofl.gif] one man’s trash…

Behind the disturbing oak, there is a backbone of quality fruit that urges me to buy one more case of JG
Hope wife is kept in ignorance :heart:

I believe that is where Flatiron was pricing, and I thought the same thing. Sadly I suspect the secret is getting out…

Claus, I am not at all surprised, based on the 2000 I had two months ago. It was terrific but a baby.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxmxhdbDCYq/?igshid=g6lqz85x4e20
These wines ages in glacial pace…
But even when drank too young they deliver
I am so impressed with the JG. It oozes quality
The artist behind the 3dimensional painting is
http://www.larschristensen.net/

Love all the art, Claus.

You are inspiring me to start incorporating some art into my wine pics.

It all really goes hand-in-hand: Art, wine, music, literature, fine cuisine, culture, friends, family.

Agree on all counts Counselor
Hope this was right Robert
The only law quotes I know is from LA Law and Perry Mason…

Solano Cellars is local to me. Quite reputable and a longstanding resource in the Bay Area.

Wow. I’ve never seen any JG bottlings.