TN: 1998 Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape Barbe Rac

TN: 1998 Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape Barbe Rac. A touch overripe on the nose, but not overt or distracting. Wow, this is really a wine that eats like a meal. Blackberry liquor coats the palate. Heavy white pepper finish. Sour end with air. For all its power, it lacks nuance, and one glass is enough. I’ve never been a big fan of Chapoutier’s CDPs. Others may like this more. $50 back in the day. 86 points.

Wow. It sounds pretty tempting to me though. I loved the 98 CNDPs and was lucky that I had the open space for them when released. Still have a few left, although have never tried the Chapoutier single vineyard CNDPs.

I opened my last of 2 at-release-purchased bottles 3 years ago and it was pretty much as you described. Drank during dinner with cocktail-loving friends and just as I suspected, they liked it. I stored forever hoping the wine can turn more elegant and tone down the liqueur and uber ripe-sweet components and it never did. Based on my wine preference, it wasn’t the most optimal use of costly storage in NYC.

Thanks for the note - I was intrigued whether it was a positive one or not. I tried it on release and was in a minority at the time who saw no reason to buy it. Turns out that was probably the right decision for me. Of course, I’m still hopeful on a number of Chapoutier’s other '98s but I could well be in for disappointments :slight_smile:!