Robert Parker retires

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bruce G.

Re: Robert Parker retires

#101 Post by Bruce G. » May 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Randall McFarlane wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:33 pm
Maureen's dead right about the better stores in DC way back when....
Her comment was...
when I was 22 they weren’t talking about storage or otherwise discussing things like overcropping and excessive filtration and other such things in wine shops in Washington DC
I don't know when Maureen turned 22, so there's a time frame issue.
But if we assume it to mean "up until Parker came along" then she's incorrect.
If we assume that her intention was to say something like "when I was 22 they weren’t talking to me about storage or otherwise discussing things like overcropping and excessive filtration and other such things in wine shops in Washington DC" then I have no reason to doubt her.
Bruce Gutlove

Neal.Mollen

#102 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 22nd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Bruce G. wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm
Randall McFarlane wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:33 pm
Maureen's dead right about the better stores in DC way back when....
Her comment was...
when I was 22 they weren’t talking about storage or otherwise discussing things like overcropping and excessive filtration and other such things in wine shops in Washington DC
I don't know when Maureen turned 22, so there's a time frame issue.
But if we assume it to mean "up until Parker came along" then she's incorrect.
If we assume that her intention was to say something like "when I was 22 they weren’t talking to me about storage or otherwise discussing things like overcropping and excessive filtration and other such things in wine shops in Washington DC" then I have no reason to doubt her.
Parker always credited Peynaud for raising those issues. He never claimed that he was unique on that score so far as I know
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Anton D » May 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm

It seems modern winos think that prior to 1978, wine was made by nomadic Cro-Magnons who roamed the countryside each fall placing whole clusters of grapes into their goat bladder containers, mashing the contents, and then leaving them in the cave until the next spring.

Have you people tried any PP (pre-Parker) vintage wines?

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am just a simple caveman winemaker, your modern ways of fermentation and viticulture frighten and confuse me..."
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Bill Tex Landreth

#104 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 22nd, 2019, 5:48 pm

FTW
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Craig G » May 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm

Mike Miller wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:36 pm
Gary York wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm
I wish him well in retirement. It must not be an easy thing to do knowing that your life's work will be destroyed.
I don't know. That's true for 99.99% of all humans. Including a vast majority commenting on this thread, no?
Are you saying Todd is going to shut down the board?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Anton D » May 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

Craig G wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm
Mike Miller wrote:
Gary York wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm
I wish him well in retirement. It must not be an easy thing to do knowing that your life's work will be destroyed.
I don't know. That's true for 99.99% of all humans. Including a vast majority commenting on this thread, no?
No way, I'm sure he'll pass it along to Mark Squires!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Jay Miller » May 23rd, 2019, 10:06 am

Anton D wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm
Craig G wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm
Mike Miller wrote:

No way, I'm sure he'll pass it along to Mark Squires!
I thought he was going to start a wine and cello newsletter and only allow subscribers access to the board?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Gordon Fitz » May 24th, 2019, 8:00 am

We have glasses for those whose eyes start to dim. We have hearing aids for those whose hearing is diminished. We have the little blue pills for those that get older and need them. As a natural process of aging people start losing their ability to taste. We don’t yet have a tasting aid!

Steinem, Laube, Parker whether you liked any of them or not had a place in the industry. Their palate gave them an expiration date. I was never a big fan of Parker but give him kudos for realizing it was time to retire and doing so. There are far too many that refuse or fail to do so.

Robert; Enjoy your retirement!

WvanGorp

#109 Post by WvanGorp » May 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Anton D wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm
It seems modern winos think that prior to 1978, wine was made by nomadic Cro-Magnons who roamed the countryside each fall placing whole clusters of grapes into their goat bladder containers, mashing the contents, and then leaving them in the cave until the next spring.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am just a simple caveman winemaker, your modern ways of fermentation and viticulture frighten and confuse me..."
On the old Squires bb, I once made this point. I pointed out that lots of people have written laudatory tasting notes on older (pre-mid ‘70’s) Bordeaux. Bob’s reply was “Wilfred you’re far too intelligent to make such a statement.”
Wilfred van Gorp

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Kris Patten » May 27th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Like it or hate it, most modern wine is what it is because of Parker. The wines that aren't are because they disliked Parkers narrative and palate.
ITB

Jürgen Steinke

#111 Post by Jürgen Steinke » May 28th, 2019, 2:04 am

Wilfred,

I remember that reply well. And I simply did not understand what Parker tried to say. I thought your statement was spot on. Oh my – that was the weak side of Bob Parker. A thin skin and sometimes aggressive when he thought his credibility was hurt.

I can add a story in which I got a pretty similar reply. Parker once reported in a Hedonist Gazette about an evening when two Magnums of 1947 Lafleur were opened and consumed. I said that the Robin sisters only made five Magnums of the 1947 and that Magnums of 1947 Pomerols were the most faked wines. He replied that I am always too sceptic. Needless to say that this was not a satisfying answer either.

Neal.Mollen

#112 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm

I suppose it was only a matter of time
Parker Announces His Retirement.
Here's a List of 100 Point Wines He Rated. THE LAST 100 RP SCORES EVER
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Anton D » May 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

WvanGorp wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Anton D wrote:

On the old Squires bb, I once made this point. I pointed out that lots of people have written laudatory tasting notes on older (pre-mid ‘70’s) Bordeaux. Bob’s reply was “Wilfred you’re far too intelligent to make such a statement.”
I think we have met. Did you ever work at UCLA?
Anton Dotson

Pat Martin

#114 Post by Pat Martin » May 28th, 2019, 6:48 pm

WvanGorp wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Anton D wrote:

It was this sort of arrogant nonsense from the Bob that his board allowed us to see. He would post things like this all too often as many of us here witnessed firsthand. Maybe that was a service in a sense though, getting to see behind the curtain?
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Bruce G

#115 Post by Bruce G » May 29th, 2019, 1:51 am

Kris Patten wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Like it or hate it, most modern wine is what it is because of Parker. The wines that aren't are because they disliked Parkers narrative and palate.
Or they were unaware of Parker's presence and his body of work.
Or they considered Parker's opinion of minor importance when deciding on a direction for wine production.
Or they simply disagreed with his view of things (disagreeing being distinct from disliking).

One or the other or the other or other.
Bruce Gutlove
Hokkaido, Japan

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Kris Patten » May 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Bruce G wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:51 am
Kris Patten wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Or they were unaware of Parker's presence and his body of work.
Or they considered Parker's opinion of minor importance when deciding on a direction for wine production.
Or they simply disagreed with his view of things (disagreeing being distinct from disliking).

One or the other or the other or other.
So we agree. [cheers.gif]
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by John Morris » May 29th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm
I suppose it was only a matter of time
Parker Announces His Retirement.
Here's a List of 100 Point Wines He Rated. THE LAST 100 RP SCORES EVER
How about a list of his 60-point wines. That would be much more fun!
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by John Morris » June 4th, 2019, 9:05 am

Here's an amusing take -- Tim Atkins's imagining of what Alice Feiring might write about Parker's retirement:

Choice nuggets:
.... Parker is universally lauded for how much he influenced wine, which, from my point of view, is like eulogizing windshields for how much they influence insects....

Robert, if I may call you that, was a worthy opponent. I cannot state it as a fact, but somehow I know, in my authentic and honest heart, that much of what you wrote in your later years as a critic was addressed directly to me....

The rise of natural wine is my revenge. Sure, it was coming anyway, but I figured it out first, and had a generation of simpletons just ready for conversion at my fingertips, just as you were Pied Piper for all the rich, number-loving rats who followed you into the darkest cellars and perished cannibalizing each other — the Sucklings, the Molesworths, the Gallonis and the Dunnucks. Listen closely, you can hear them crunching on each other’s bones and sucking out the marrow.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

GregT

#119 Post by GregT » June 4th, 2019, 10:10 am

She will no doubt take full credit for his retirement and for having run him off the field. Anyone who can write a book claiming to "save" the world from him has to be issuing press releases pointing out her major role in causing time to pass and him to become older and infirm.
Steinem, Laube, Parker whether you liked any of them or not had a place in the industry. Their palate gave them an expiration date. I was never a big fan of Parker but give him kudos for realizing it was time to retire and doing so. There are far too many that refuse or fail to do so.
In fact, he's not all that old - he's only 71. It's possible, but just doesn't seem likely that his his ability to taste was seriously diminishing over the last fifteen years.

In any case, I wonder how much of this decision was purely voluntary. He posted and tweeted some weird stuff before he suddenly stopped opining on the state of the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sudden reticence to sound off was strongly suggested by the owners of the WA. He has had some surgeries and needed some serious meds, which also may have affected his inclination to taste and write. Selling a major stake to Michelin brought on additional corporate responsibilities. And noting the rapidly fading influence of the WA, even if he were inclined to continue, the new partners may have preferred that he not embarrass them.

It's speculation to be sure, but we all know that some of his last rants were way beyond the gibberish in the bingo thread and it wouldn't be too much to imagine that someone gently suggested he ride off into the sunset.

From what I've been told, and it's all hearsay, his health is not good at all and many of the issues were brought on by overeating and over drinking for fifty years. So I wish him well but it's also a cautionary tale - everybody go out and do your five mile run today!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Glen Gold » June 4th, 2019, 10:50 am

Did he delete his social media accounts? He used to have a lot of photos of bottles and meals he'd enjoyed (he stopped updating a while ago) but I don't see them anymore.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by John Morris » June 4th, 2019, 9:12 pm

GregT wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:10 am
She will no doubt take full credit for his retirement and for having run him off the field. Anyone who can write a book claiming to "save" the world from him has to be issuing press releases pointing out her major role in causing time to pass and him to become older and infirm.
In fact, he's not all that old - he's only 71. It's possible, but just doesn't seem likely that his his ability to taste was seriously diminishing over the last fifteen years.
Just so it's clear, that was Gordon F's statement you quoted, not Atkins spoofing Feiring or Feiring herself.

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

#122 Post by Humberto Dorta » June 7th, 2019, 5:48 am

Happy retirement Bob. You gave me many hours of joy, anxiety and learning.
--Berto

Dave McCloskey

#123 Post by Dave McCloskey » June 7th, 2019, 6:04 am

Paul McCourt wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 2:26 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Most influential wine critic, possibly in history. A truly remarkable career- wish him nothing but 100+ pointers in retirement.
+1

Whether you agree or disagree with a lot of his stuff, he had an utterly remarkable career that I dare say probably anyone here would kill for.
So true. Think about the quality of wine he was exposed to over his career. Unfathomable. Not to mention the long lasting friendships of those who make their living developing a product we all love so much. What a rich life.

Nick Ryan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Nick Ryan » June 7th, 2019, 3:05 pm

I wonder if we've seen the end of point scoring as a factor in high-end wine pricing. The "wine critic" market is so fractured now and none of the critics have much name recognition outside their particular genre. And within a genre, people generally have already learned what they do and don't like... unless a skunk dies in the vat I'm going to continue buying favorite wine X each year. I'm happy to try a new wine that is generating buzz but there is zero chance a Galloni 100 is going to make me pay even 50% more.
http://sites.google.com/site/nryan4242/CellarPlannerV11.zip

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by David Glasser » June 7th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Nick: It's already been a few years since Parker stopped regularly reviewing Bordeaux, Rhone, and California,
arguably where he had the most influence. But points still matter to newbies and the non-geek crowd. Retailers still use shelf-talkers with ratings.

That said, points don't matter like they used to. The ratings don't move markets the way they used to, and for exactly the reasons you stated.

GregT

#126 Post by GregT » June 8th, 2019, 1:18 am

Just so it's clear, that was Gordon F's statement you quoted, not Atkins spoofing Feiring or Feiring herself.
God forbid! [wow.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Return to “Wine Talk”