TN: 2014 Château Haut-Bergey (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

2014 Château Haut-Bergey - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (5/15/2019)
I like the combination of the more classic 2014 vintage, with the relatively modern style of Haut-Bergey. At a top level, this is fairly slick, but there’s an underlying tannic spine, and bit of earthiness that places the wine in Bordeaux. The balance is good, so I have no concerns about some mid-term aging (5-10 years), but it does drink well now, as as a sort of Cali/French style hybrid. For those who enjoy less opulent California Cab/Merlot wines, this is a great value option, as you are not going to get this quality level in this price range anywhere but Bordeaux.

Posted from CellarTracker

Spot on note based on my experiences with Haut-Bergey. Always surprisingly structured for a wine of this pedigree.

This is a wine I can enjoy in classic-leaning vintages like 14. In a vintage like 09, I suspect it would be too Cali-like for me

Agreed. I tend to buy it in structured vintages, and then don’t expect it to be “classic.” It ends up being fun to drink, and a great price.

So much from 14 is great. I don’t have any of this but I have Haut Bergy from many other vintages in the cellar. I guess it is another one to look for

Nice note and discussion. I have a few vintages of Haut Bergey and agree that the less ripe years are more attractive. Haven’t got any with 15+ years of age, I tend to drink them young. Not sure if they would reward extended cellaring.

I’ve found Haut Bergey from riper years, well 2009 specifically, to occupy a middle ground no man’s land. It’s a good wine, not excellent, and it’s too fruit forward, ripe and oaky to satisfy my Pessac cravings. Yet it’s not really hedonistic enough for the Napa Cab lovers I know. It is a great value compared to similar quality Napa cabs.

I have some 2005, and will dig one up soon.

Yes, do, David,
I’d be curious how it is faring. Less time I checked in, I was kind of underwhelmed.