I had a long day, and Fu pissed me off, so I popped a 2016 Gonon St Joe

So I got on the phone at 1:30 today for a series of conference calls, the last one lasting from 4-7:40 - multi-party with a foreign language translater, to negotiate a contract of several hundred pages. Fu texts me somewhere in the middle of that brutal call, pics of all his new deliveries of unicorn Rhones. Gets all bragadocious and shit, poops on Bordeaux, but admittedly, got me thinking of what I want to pop when I get off this daft call. Ok, it pays the bills and I love it, but please allow me to complain.

I walk into my messy office. Wine fridge loaded. 7-8 cases of wine laying around, no place to go, one of which is 2016 Gonon. I have yet to try the St Joe in this year, but the Iles Feray was fan-freakin-tastic. So I grab a Gonon. I don’t care if it is a baby. Actually, other than 2010, I cannot recall a Gonon that doesn’t taste great young, middle or old. This night is better now.

This 2016 does not disappoint on pop and pour. That signature note of iron, mineral-rich earth, brine and gamey fruits. The palate is teeth-staining, lip-smackingly good. Bright fruits, red and purple, with notable citrus acid. Savory, chalky, chewy. Still pretty tannic, but they are tangy-sweet. Delicious. An excellent Gonon. A big Gonon but a step back from 2015. Better than 2015, more balanced.

(93+ pts.)

AECC1595-35DA-4E5B-8A14-80569275D0EB.jpeg

Either that’s a huge glass or the bottle is a 375.

He drinks for two

Sounds like the title to a new hall of fame thread: “Fu pissed me off so I opened a…” :wink:

Fu really pissed him off.

At first, I thought that was a semiautomatic weapon in the near background. Some folks just live on the edge.

I am a big man, with big needs.

Dude. That’s the Campy Big! Corkscrews for cyclists. A very big screw.

Yup, recognized the Campy corkscrew. I’ve got one too. Not as practical as the simple waiter’s corkscrew, but it looks awesome!

Which would absolutely not surprise me based upon the Texas vs. Florida crazy thread. I imagine that a gun totin’ construction lawyer threatening his ferin’ negotiatin’ adversaries with semi-auto whilst swigging a bit o’ Gonon constitutes a routine Wednesday in Flo-ida.

Cue:

Of course, in Texas it would be full auto and DRC-RC.

Come on Greg, it’s only Wednesday! Thursday smells like Chave night.

Stand Your Ground Rules in FL! Texas is for chumps, except for K-John. But he drinks Cali.

In lieu of guns, however, I have Golden Retrievers.

Well, based upon some friends’ Goldens, they would kill them with cuteness (and slobber).

I know what that’s like. While we can take such con calls from anywhere (thanks to technology), I prefer doing so with all the locally-based parties/reps physically present together (only those based/physically abroad on the speaker). For some reason, such conferences wind up more fruitful/efficient, and time seems to pass more quickly.

Gets a lot more difficult though when the other party(ies) are on US time. Europe time not as much.

Don’t kid yourself - Goldens will FIERCELY defend their masters if necessary.

Unless distracted by a chicken wing.

How often do you need a translator for Florida English?

Also, if my friends’ Goldens are any indication – they are wimps.

My 13 lb dachshund had them cowed.

Of course, my dachshund would attack, fangs bared, any man or beast – including many that would have swallowed her whole without realizing they had swallowed anything.

Glad you took one for the team. I think I was only able to snag a few, so will give them 15 years…

That would be me, Craig.

The Goldens, on the other hand, are stone cold killers.

F4A3574D-CEB2-46B1-8004-7D75E44520D4.jpeg
B699FC0D-D7EE-4420-9D4A-A8C586FCB222.jpeg