Giulia Negri - new generation Piedmont

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Martin Zwick

Giulia Negri - new generation Piedmont

#1 Post by Martin Zwick » May 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

Last week I noticed a new arrival at my wine dealer Pinard de Picard and it immediately caught my attention. They talked about a promising 27 year old winemaker from Piedmont, Giulia Negri. As I love Piedmont wines and as I am always curious what the young generation is doing I ordered a bottle.

2016 Giulia Negri „La Tartufaia” Pinot Nero, Langhe

WOW........what an elegance. Very charming with silky tannins, sublime fruit, light floral notes and velvety finish. In addition a lovely freshness and depth. Needs air, best on Day 2.

Based on this stylistic there is no doubt that she has a certain connection/love for Burgundy. I made some research and I found out that she worked with Louis-Michel Liger-Belair in the past. I am convinced and will also order her Barolo and Chardonnay in the coming days.

IMG_8810.jpg

Salute,
Martin
Last edited by Martin Zwick on May 14th, 2019, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Giulia Negri - new generation Piedmont

#2 Post by Sh@n A » May 14th, 2019, 10:50 am

I have her 2013 Barolo Serradenari on tap for this weekend. Will be heads up against 2013 Alessandria Monvigliero (which I had once before and thought was excellent, hoping for a similar showing).
Last edited by Sh@n A on May 15th, 2019, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Martin Zwick

#3 Post by Martin Zwick » May 15th, 2019, 6:48 am

Sh@n A wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 10:50 am
I have her 2013 Barolo Serradenari on tap for this weekend. Will be heads up against 2013 Alexandria Monvigliero (which I had once before and thought was excellent, hoping for a similar showing).

Please post some impressions.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sh@n A » May 19th, 2019, 6:23 pm

2013 Negri Serradenari

Double decant with an hour of air in the decanter, no food.
Nose: Tight nose but with aggressive swirling, it is floral nose with juicy dark red berries. Faint green streak. Faint wood spice. Faint vanilla wood.
Palate: Red strawberry, Black raspberry, faint green strawberry/herbal note. A finessed wine with medium acidity. Texturally very pleasant: clean, viscous, but not quite silky. Definitely packs a slightly sappy, dark red fruited punch on a medium bodied frame... Medium+ power on a medium frame.
Structure: Very structured. Mouth drying tannins on the swallow. Tannins are not rustic, but are very grippy and drying. There is sweet red raspberry/cherry fruit on the finish that survives the drying finish.

At dinner later this felt more closed. 92. I can see others giving this a 91.

Traditionally made and too young to drink, but approachable. Didn't strike me as a 20YR wine, but I thought this was good value and a wine I definitely want to try again in 5 years. Definitely going to seek out 2016s, young vines that will have a couple more years. Similar to style of wine that I have recently enjoyed ('16 Duroche Lavaux, '16 Sottimano Pajore), not a side-by-side, but would say this is lighter/less concentrated/simpler than the those 2.

2013 Alessandria Monvigliero
Same treatment but only tried at dinner, 4-5 hours after opening.
Nose: Shut down, can't get anything.
Palate: Muted sour red strawberry, some dried rose, some dried bay leaf. Felt it got better with time.
What happened here? Closed down? Too much air? Restaurant environment not as good? I have a lot more of these... 91-92
Last edited by Sh@n A on May 19th, 2019, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Sh@n A » May 19th, 2019, 6:32 pm

So there was something similar about these bottles that I couldn't put my finger on. Both traditionally made, similar weights, price points... and then I realized at the restaurant side-by-side these two wines have the same exact script / bottle design.
Attachments
IMG_0447.jpg
/ @ g r @ \

g.colangelo
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by g.colangelo » May 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Thank you for the notes! The score seems particularly generous in view of what you write...
By the way the label design changed: all her bottles, including Barolos now have a label similar to the one shown above for the pinot nero.
G i l b e r t o

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Sh@n A » May 19th, 2019, 6:54 pm

It is fair, I could have scored the Monvigliero more 91 as opposed to 92, but I do recall a prior bottle quite vividly, and for now an average of the two scores is reasonable to me (I had scored a prior bottle 93-94). I thought the Giulia was better than a 91. Hitting the exact point sometimes (all the time?) is difficult. Below is how I score, for whatever it is worth.

95 = Outstanding / Top 5-10% of wines I generally consume
93 = Very Good / Nothing glaringly wrong
91 = Good / Enjoyable, with glaring deficiencies
89 = OK, an average wine / good table wine
/ @ g r @ \

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Morris » May 19th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 6:54 pm
It is fair, I could have scored the Monvigliero more 91 as opposed to 92, but I do recall a prior bottle quite vividly, and for now an average of the two scores is reasonable to me (I had scored a prior bottle 93-94). I thought the Giulia was better than a 91. Hitting the exact point sometimes (all the time?) is difficult. Below is how I score, for whatever it is worth.

95 = Outstanding / Top 5-10% of wines I generally consume
93 = Very Good / Nothing glaringly wrong
91 = Good / Enjoyable, with glaring deficiencies
89 = OK, an average wine / good table wine
That's certainly a generous scale! (Did you mean with no glaring deficiencies?) Your 89 seems to equate to something less than 80 the way most people use the 100-point scale.

By comparison, the Parker/WA scale is defined as:
96-100:
An extraordinary wine of profound and complex character displaying all the attributes expected of a classic wine of its variety. Wines of this caliber are worth a special effort to find, purchase, and consume.

90 - 95:
An outstanding wine of exceptional complexity and character. In short, these are terrific wines.

80 - 89:
A barely above average to very good wine displaying various degrees of finesse and flavor as well as character with no noticeable flaws.

70 - 79:
An average wine with little distinction except that it is a soundly made. In essence, a straightforward, innocuous wine.

60 - 69:
A below average wine containing noticeable deficiencies, such as excessive acidity and/or tannin, an absence of flavor, or possibly dirty aromas or flavors.

50 - 59:
A wine deemed to be unacceptable.
“The writing of legislation is perhaps the highest art form the United States has yet achieved, even more original and compelling than the television commercial.” – Gore Vidal, 1974

It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same. – me, 2018

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Sh@n A » May 19th, 2019, 8:38 pm

John Morris wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:12 pm

That's certainly a generous scale! (Did you mean with no glaring deficiencies?) Your 89 seems to equate to something less than 80 the way most people use the 100-point scale.
I am not scoring to Parker and I find my scores are similar to most people on CT. A few months ago I came up with this range with the intentional goal of finding personal words to articulate a wine, while being in a reasonable zone of correlation with CT scores (which is an intentional goal of mine to increase the utility of the scores and make sense for myself from CT scores -- I am not in the camp that CT scores are useless). As it pertains to the Negri, I have had worse wines than the Negri that people score at similar range to the Negri, so I don't feel I have materially over scored it. Maybe I missed it by a point, not but I don't think I missed it by 5. I would be very surprised to suddenly see 80-85 points scores for the wine on CT, so I don't think most people would score it there. As it pertains to words I gave for the scores I use, they are personal frames of reference (my thought of a good table wine or the top 10% of wines I drink, by definition, is a very personal reference point). I would like more dispersion in the scores generally, to the downside, but its not how I find CT folks score, so there is a lot of compression I think in 90-92; my rating scale gives me a little more dispersion on CT for 87-89 I think where I may be 1-2 points below other scores there (thus arguably underscoring, not overscoring).
/ @ g r @ \

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jason T » May 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Which just goes to underscore the challenges and relative lack of utility in scores. If we aren’t all following a standard, then each person has to understand everyone else’s personal scoring system. Which means points are only useful to that individual, which I guess is something.
J@son Tr@ughber

Jörgen Lindström Carlvik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jörgen Lindström Carlvik » May 21st, 2019, 4:16 am

Martin Zwick wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
Last week I noticed a new arrival at my wine dealer Pinard de Picard and it immediately caught my attention. They talked about a promising 27 year old winemaker from Piedmont, Giulia Negri.
Salute,
Martin
HI Martin,

I met with Giulia last January and tasted her Barolo 2015 line-up at the Grandi Langhe presentation in Alba. I was impressed. Purity and elegance with well manicured tannins.
ITB. www.brixwine.se

Gregory Dal Piaz

#12 Post by Gregory Dal Piaz » May 21st, 2019, 9:22 am

I will be able to report on the current releases later this week after a visit with Giulia, though she will come over tomorrow for dinner so I might have some inside information then.

The wines are very refined and elegant, and what I tasted from barrel last year certainly seemed to be the best wines I've tasted from her over the past 3 years. She is maturing very quickly as a winemaker, has definite goals for her wines and is driven by a Burgundian sensibility, though producing wines that can only be Piemontese. Even her Pinot Nero expresses Piemontese terroir, as it should. A producer to watch for sure.
ITB Freelance Writing/Education

Martin Zwick

#13 Post by Martin Zwick » May 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm

Good to see that you ALL share my impressions.

Return to “Wine Talk”