TN: 2009 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial

• 2009 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (5/14/2019)
    Decanted 6 hrs and served with braised oxtails and chorizo, a superb pairing I might add. The 07 was my first Ygay, and while I really enjoyed it, this wine is a clear step above. Yes, the use of new oak is apparent on the nose and palate, but the shoe just seems to fit the foot so to speak, as it really works well, though give this some additional age and I bet some real fireworks will emerge. Dark berries carry a slight smoky edge, already expansive with a wide palate coverage, and a closing note of fresh earth and spices. Powerful yet elegant, again this is has great potential written all over it. If you have three or more bottles worth a peak, otherwise hold for at least 5 years – perhaps 10. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the 1959 version (ex-domaine recent release) of this over the week-end and it remained fresh, beautifully textured and full of energy. Wine of the night amongst some serious competition (bunch of other 1959s including Margaux, LLC,…). I suspect that the 2009 will hold for quite a while!

For me, this is one of my three favourite (and most consistent) Rioja wines, the other being Muga’s Prado Enea bottling, and La Rioja Alta’s Gran Riserva 904. All three are “best in class” for well under $100, something of a rarity, particularly in what is perhaps the most well-known wine region in the entire country of Spain.

+1 on the above and the 2005 Ygay Gran Reserva is in a great place right now!

Got to love Murrieta. You can still get older bottles of Ygay for a fraction of a wine of that quality from anywhere else in the world (perhaps apart from Germany). I’ve recently bought Etiqueta Blanca from '54, '64, and '81 for less than you’d pay for the '09 Reserva Especial. Though the latter is excellent (I bought a case the day after I first tasted it), the former are often equally good.

Very nice note. I have a 2007 on deck, so if I like it, I’ll spring for the readily available 2009 instead of seeking out more 2007’s.