TN Amour Deutz and Haut Brion

Two from mother’s day (with partner, not my mom):

2008 Amour Deutz Rose Champagne—clean, very pure, light on its feet; not the complexity I might have expected, nor great Pinosity. Has a significant midpalate and interesting finish as the air takes it up, light strawberry notes followed by darker tones, a little minerality, not much brioche or yeast. Pretty but not finally great qpr…or maybe I just don’t get the style. (The price of the split, actually less, buys a whole bottle of Billecart-Salmon Rose or Larmandier-Bernier Saignee, both of which seem more giving and certainly more obvious wines.)

1966 Haut Brion: quite a bit less bricking than I would have expected for a 53 year old. Is it the real deal? Still nose is full, with blue and black berries and telltale hints of green pepper. After about half an hour, it settles and does not change at all after that in either the nose or the palate, just intensifies, and the taste will follow me in all next day. Has a slightly glossy surface, with bright fruit, mushroom, a little green pepper and a cedary backbone. On the finish, which gains length with air, there is a distinctive combination of sweet tannins and fruit, which reminds me of other 1st- growth Bordeaux.