Mom's Day weekend dinner

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Flynn

Mom's Day weekend dinner

#1 Post by Kelly Flynn » May 13th, 2019, 12:50 pm

My own wife being out of town, a very generous friend showed up for dinner, tinfoil-wrapped bottle in tow. The theme was "Old World cabs/cab blends". We usually drink bordeaux, so I was thinking about Ornellaia for a (hopefully confusing) change of pace. Looking around for the bottle, I happened to remember that I keep telling him we need to drink some Musar, since he had never tried it. I have had the 1993 a few times, they have been beautiful, and this is my last one from the same batch. Maybe 1/3 cabernet, so that qualifies as "Old World cab blend", right? Decanted two hours before dinner.

My friend's wine has been double decanted, and as I grill rib eye steaks we open a 2010 Beaufort Brut Rose "Polisy", which is ok but seems oddly "advanced" since the last one I tried maybe a year and a half ago. The vibrant red tone seems more maroon now. I really liked it last time, but this time I would just label it "okay", nothing special.

Sitting down to eat, his wine was explosive on the nose though not particularly complex, and did not seem bordeaux at all to me. Nor Italy, nor Old World in general. To me it seemed clearly California. The wine, however, was in a real sweet spot in its evolution: power aplenty, but enough development to soften the tannins somewhat. If this is California, I am guessing, maybe 10-15 years old? It is increasingly delicious with more time in the glass -- is that mint or eucalyptus? -- and now I am trying to figure out the producer. Finally he concedes it is Cali. Having a long history with this friend, my next cut is: classic or cult? I guess "cult", which doesn't make him very happy, but it is correct. Now some graphite on the nose. This is clearly a very special wine, but I have no idea what it is. Finally, toward the end of the meal, the reveal: 1992 Harlan. Wow! It was really hard to believe it was 27 years old. Maybe he bent the rules, but I was willing to forgive!

My friend is generous not only in the wines he brings, but also in his assessment of my wines. He took a real interest in the 1993 Musar, which seemed not quite to have the oomph of the last one I drank, but otherwise seemed "very Musar" in its very delicate balance of the sweet and savory. Of course, the lack of power might easily be explained by the tough comp.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Mom's Day weekend dinner

#2 Post by Ken Strauss » May 13th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Lucky you!
What a nice surprise.
I am sure it matched very well with ribeye also.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Kelly Flynn

Re: Mom's Day weekend dinner

#3 Post by Kelly Flynn » May 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Indeed it was, and did! Thanks, K

Return to “Wine Talk”