Best villages to wander around in Burgundy?

Hi,

I managed to fit in a few days in Burgundy on a Europe trip next month. I will be driving into Beaune from Lyon. It’s not my first time in Burgundy, but the last time I came here, I just stayed in and around Beaune and went to various tastings in the area. This time, I want to explore around a little bit by car and by foot. I was hoping to visit my favourite vineyards, then park the car in whichever village, and wander around - soaking in the sights. Which are the best villages to wander around in? Since I have a car this time, anything I should do? anything I can’t miss? Since I’m driving, I can save all the drinking for when I am back in Beaune.

Thanks!

Hi it’s been a while since I last visited, and I’m sure more knowledgeable people will respond. Just wanted to say a drive from from Beaune up through all the villages of the Côte de Nuit to Dijon is an hour drive without stops. The city of Dijon is also worth a couple hours of your time to explore. Enjoy.

You could rent a bike and go up and down the cote. Worth the consideration.

They’re all pretty tiny except for Beaune and NSG. They also all have their charms. My strong recommendation would be to rent a bike and do it that way. Easiest way to see the towns, get deep into the vineyards, and get a good sense of the landscape. Not much better than peddling around the Cote d’Or.

For sure. Beaune is a beautiful city, and worth a day or two of walking around. Their open markets on the weekend near the Hospice de Beaune are a blast. But most of the big name towns are really tiny, one horse, ‘rarely a stop light’ villages. You are lucky to even find one restaurant open in most of them.

Chablis is the other town I love to spend time in - and fairly substantial as well. Not as pretty as Beaune, but the wines make it worth the trip.

If you do make it up to Chablis, a very short drive away is Auxerre, with a lovely vielle ville to wander around in, with lots of shops and restaurants. For some reason this is where we stayed on my first trip to Burgundy, not really conveniently located, but very much a quintessential French town.

Well, I would say that Meursault is one of the prettiest and of a size which makes a stroll meaningful. I also very much recommend Le Soufflot, a new restaurant in the village with great food and wines.
On the other side of the Cote Gevrey is also of a reasonable size and gives you easy access on foot to the great vineyards like Clos St. Jacques and its neighbors or Chambertin on the other side of the combe. It also has a good choice of restaurants. Finally, although the village is tiny and there isn’t much to see, a stop in Vosne with pilgrimage to its sacred vineyards is well worth it, I think. There you can also have a look at the village wine shop which has a selection of bottles from local producers.

Drive on the Route de Grand Crus through the Cotes du Nuits. It takes you by most of the Grand Crus of the Cotes du Nuits. It is just off 974 - higher up in the hills. Drive south of Beaune and see Montrachet. Then drive past Montrachet and go down to Chassagne Montrachet and visit the Caveau de Chassagne Montrachet http://www.caveaudechassagne.com/ where you can taste an assortment of the wines from the village. There are caveaus in most villages and these can be fun, although I have only been to this one and to the one in Morey-St. Denis.

Other than Beaune, the biggest towns in the Cotes d’Or are Nuits St. Georges and Meursault. None of these are as interesting to walk around in IMHO as Beaune. However, a great place to visit is the Clos Vougeot, which is right in the middle of the vineyard. Château du clos de Vougeot - Saint siège des Climats

In Beaune, if you have not done so before, go to the Hotel Dieu and take a tour. http://hospices-de-beaune.com/ Also, visit Drouhin and/or Bouchard Pere and get a tour of their ancient caves in the city of Beaune.

This link provides names, addresses and phone numbers of wineries that might see visitors. Growers and merchants - Bourgogne wines

Have a great time.

Burgundy’s villages, sad to say, are not tourist attractions except for the wine. Beaune, as mentioned, is a good one.

But look for the farmer’s market days. Chagny and Autun are big enough to wander around, with shops and architecture that both can be worthwhile, and especially interesting on market days. A few years ago a farmer’s market visit in Autun yielded some incredibly fine bottles of ‘little’ wines, red and white, from the grower at his stand. When I asked about export, he thought I meant to Mars or another galaxy, about the same to him as exporting to the U.S.

Dan Kravitz

Santenay is very charming. Have lunch at Les Terroirs.

Rather than wander around the towns I like to walk the Route des Grand Crus and get a feel for the aspect of all the vineyards. Nuits St Georges and Chassagne-Montrachet are charming petite villages. The wine shop in Chassagne is worth a visit.

1 Like

For simply walking around the vineyards, my favourite is Vosne-Romanée (I stop by every time I’m in the Côte d’Or). Another favourite is Puligny-Montrachet (have a meal in Hotel Le Montrachet, then a nice cigar in the little park across the street).

For charming towns not necessarily for wine/vineyards, someone has already mentioned Autun. Auxerre is also very quaint. I also like visiting Vézelay. Of course, as others already mentioned, Dijon is also very worth some time - especially at night when lit up. That all said, I tend to base myself in Beaune when I’m in Burgundy, then just drive around to other places.

Puligny doesn’t have too much to offer other than Olivier Leflaive’s hotel/restaurant and Hotel Le Montrachet. However, it’s worth visiting just to stroll up to Montrachet and the neighboring vineyards. Unforgettable.

The Veloroute goes from Beaune through the heart of the Côte De Beaune. We stopped to explore Meursault a bit and then picnicked in Chassagne. It’s a nice ride with very little traffic.

I’ve also hiked the Route des Grands Crus from Gevrey to NSG.

I tend to agree that walking around town time is better spent in Beaune (or maybe Dijon).

Meursault

Savigny is lovely.

this

Thanks for all the great recommendations!