TN: 2004 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2004 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/12/2019)
    Decant for an hour and then follow for 2 hours. Still not mature. Front of the palate is dark red fruit. Back of the palate is gripping acidity, which was a surprise. Not citric acidity, just biting acidity that gave balance to the fruit in the front. There was no astringent tannin so no mouth implosion. No sweetness. Some roasted meet type presentation, although no such flavors. Excellent accompaniment to rolled rib cap steaks. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Decided to crack into one of these tonight to see how it’s coming along, was not disappointed.

Minimal decanting (just for sediment), deep purple in color with no visual signs of aging, no bricking, just translucent purple through and through. Immediately open for business, the nose just explodes with classic aromas of pencil lead, sweet black cherries, acacia, and cigar box. Flavors follow through on the palate, adding some a bit of chocolate/mocha kinda thing and a touch of bambly fruut. Smooth fine tannins, excellent balance with a great acidic “lift”, finishing fine and medium long. I really like this wine, and I feel it is just entering it’s drinking window with some slight secondary aromas starting to develop. 92 points, drink probably over the next 5 years? Maybe longer.
IMG_5753.jpg

Thanks for the note Eric. Have a bunch of these in storage as well as the Morisoli and Dr. Crane. Time to fish some out.

nice, it’s really enjoyable now, you won’t be sorry. I too have the reserves but I’ve not cracked a single '04 - time to rectify that too!

Thanks for the notes. I have a 2005 and 2006 laying down, which, I suppose, I’ll continue to leave alone.

You’re too young to be forgetting your fairly recent TNs. [snort.gif] TN: 2004 Karl Lawrence Beckstoffer “Dr Crane” Cabernet - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

oh shit! LOL! newhere [oops.gif]

but seriously, thanks for the reminder Truett, it brings these two into contrast. The regular Cab is WAY more open for business now, let the reserves rest a while longer.

That’s good to know. We have some 2001-2005 KL that will drink well for several years, I hope.

We purchased all the same vintages, my friend! Enjoy, these are great wines