Aurélien Lurquin

Just picked up 2 bottles of Aurélien Lurquin Chardonnay and Meunier champagne. Anyone try these? From what I could dig up, they’re made in an oxidative fashion and production is beyond minuscule.

definitely not oxidative, a very pure and clean style. i tasted the meunier and it was not as deep or complex as the jerome prevost closerie. pretty disappointing for the 80 euro i paid. i guess the still wines he makes are more interesting? i wasn’t particularly compelled to go back for any more bottles after my first one though.

Prevost is hard to beat and a whole $50 cheaper here in the states. Still excited to try this new producer

if i recall, the wines were going to be picked up by avant garde who also imports vouette & sorbee to the states but apparently they thought the price point was too high for what was in the bottle…i had no idea they were available here now. the price is probably just a function of supply, i had the 2014 menier and there were only 853 bottles produced. also looking at the back label it was aged only 11 months in barrel on the lees and received no dosage. this short elevage also brings to mind some of the bulles de comptoir champagnes made by charles dufour which i like a lot, but those cost no more than 30euro/$50 depending on your locale.

Just drank a chardonnay tonight thanks to max kogod. Definitely not oxidative.

did you like?

It was alright. I have no clue the price so cant give a cost ratio perspective.

most recent US retail price I saw was $179/btl

Yea. That’s a no for me dawg