Has anyone tried the 2004 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires?

I love the previous release, which is the 1995 vintage. I still have a few 95’s, but have been gradually drinking down my formerly large cache. I’m thinking of refilling with the 2004.

Cheers,
Warren

Hmmm…we still have 1995, with new label, in stock to sell to retailers/restaurants in WA. Haven’t seen a 2004 release.

Have had a couple of bottles. Absolutely splendid! My note below.

This is like a Chevalier-Montrachet studded with exquisitely tiny bubbles. The nose is fine, with some citrus blossom, lemon, white peach and spice. The palate has perfect shape and whilst it is an elegant Champagne it has real depth and is cut by a line minerally acidity. It really builds and flavours play on a bed of chalk. The finish is so long, with a saline mineral quality.

Awesome note Jeremy. Look forward to getting some.

Warren,

It may not be as creamy, honeyed, and universally pleasing as the 1995, but I find it to be much more true to its Cote des Blancs origins in 2004. Lots of brisk citrus and minerality along with some subtle doughy notes. A great example of all that is great about 2004 Chardonnay in Champagne. Personally, I like the 2004 more than the 1995, but I also prefer a more citrus, mineral, and sunshine filled version of the Cote des Blancs. Great aging potential, but the quantity of the 2004 is nowhere near the seemingly never ending supply of 1995 and the next release (2006) is already in the works.

I was planning on buying some, but now I’m going deeper!
Thanks for the great note!

Kris,
I’ll have my friend who has a wine store (OWD) in Bellingham contact you. Maybe I can take some of those '95s off your hands!

That’s great to hear, Brad. I’m loving '04 BdB’s.

Cheers,
Warren

It is very good but not on the same level of 1995 IMO.

Their new BdB NV that the released to the US Market last August isnt a great qpr. Still love their brut reserve and rose reserve though.

I’ve been through several cases of the 1995. It was an incredible bargain for several years following release for those who like mature Champagne at its peak. I’ve tried the 2004 a couple of times and am agreement with the notes of others above. It’s a beautiful Champagne but nothing like the 1995, at least today it’s not. If you like a citrusy, mineral-driven (to use Brad’s descriptors), youthful Champagne, you will love it. If you are in the mood for the kind of tertiary character that only comes with age, the 2004 will get there some day, but it may take a long time. I would also note the 1995 was a bargain, and the 2004’s price is a steep increase over the 1995. No question that the 2004 is fairly priced for that quality, but the price may surprise some who have been buying the 1995.

The Brut Reserve still remains an outstanding bargain for its level of quality. Very, very NVs have the % of reserve wines and time on the lees that the CH Brut Reserve has…and it shows.