TN: 2002 Frédéric Magnien Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Charmes"

Quite deep and dark. Was pessimistic as it looks much too extracted and dark to carry the elegance of the commune. On the nose, rich but unmistakably burgundy. Only tried this wine once in its youth and it had a good amount of wood but that seems to have integrated well although still evident. The color is deceiving, making you think it is going to much heavier and extracted–close your eyes and drink this wine and it lightens on the nose and palate to approach its equilibrium. Several years additional cellaring is warranted, although enjoyable now if you have any stock. Overall, a better wine than I expected.

FWIW. I love the 2002 vintage; maybe in my top 3 red burg vintages I tasted young. It all “there”. But, one that I pulled out last week ( a Georges Mugneret Bourgogne) tells me that the vintage will need a full 20 to begin showing well…and…perhaps a full 25 to hit any peaks. Not what I was hoping for, but the wine was a beauty. The most crystalline fruit of any vintage I’ve experienced. And, great at all levels.

Good point on the maturity level of 2002, Stuart. When, if ever, will the 2005’s be ready to approach?

Thank heavens for 2001s!

Some of those are locked tight as well, same with 99s. Encouraging note on a house I’ve not had much happiness with either, Greg. Thanks for posting!

Salud,

Mike

Stuart, I also love 02 and I’ve opened some 02 volnay 1er’s that are still several years away from peak but giving very good pleasure now. I made the mistake a while back by only buying the “big gun vintages” like 99, 02, 05. Wish I had purchased some stocks of the very good but not so heralded vintages like 01. Mike, I don’t have a lot of experience with this producer but this was the best bottle of his I have had so far and pleasantly surprised it was recognizable from where it came.

Cheers, Greg

Yes, Greg. Lots of lessons to be learned. Helpful if you learn them in time instead of years too late. The great vintages are that, indeed, but…take forever to get “there”…relatively speaking. All Burgundies (white and red) last a whole lot longer than I’d ever imagined; but, also take a lot longer to really show their magic than I had ever realized. And, drinking them young misses the real fireworks. Other lessons learned, too…including the benefits of diversified purchasing over vintages, appellations, etc.

Suzanne, luckily I stopped buying after the 2006 vintage (of which I bought little). I fear running out of time on the 2005, but…I think , perhaps more so than 1999 and 2002, 2005 can supply pleasure younger, and maybe some should be enjoyed that way. I had a 2005 Senard Chorey-les-Beaune last week that was delicious. But, I saw some alcohol peaking out on the finish, which makes me believe that they will show more of that as they age. Not intrusive…but…a clue, perhaps to when they should be enjoyed. They seem less structured than the other “great” vintages and bigger. I’d guess that, ultimately, I’ll prefer 2002 and 1999 to 2005, but am not at all sure, as I think we “owe” 2005 a full 20 to make such determinations. Tick tick tick…

Some of my Savignys and even a Volnay or two, with some aeration, have been quite good from 05, drunk over the last year or two. I’ve been surprised—at the outset, I thought I’d be passing those on to my nephews or somethin’ But giving them the full 20 (at least) for best evaluation, I am in agreement with you, Stuart.

Mike