TN: 2016 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru “Les Cazetiers”

Opened to determine if more should be purchased. Largely approachable if you don’t mind some up front oak at this point. A little smoky strawberry on the plate. Nice now, better in 10 or so.

Buy or pass?

Take this for what it’s worth as my experience doesn’t go too far up the line, but I have some opinions on “new Faiveley” (since Erwan’s style change circa 2007):

1. Everything I’ve had has been excellent, from Bourgogne on up.

2. If you’re looking for something to drink now, consider the lower end, like the Côte D’Or village wines (Chambolle, Vosne, Gevrey, etc.) or the 1er Cru Mercureys. They are absolutely delicious and nothing needs to resolve.

3. As mentioned above, going up the line there is more oak. I believe the wines will be great, but they’re not necessarily the best ones to drink right now.

I’m with Craig on this - solid buy if in your price range. Of the lower tiers I’ve really loved the Mercurys. I’ve tasted some ‘15s and ‘16s including the Cazetiers and that turned me into a buyer. If you can find the Clos des Cortons or Mazis at decent prices they are what passes for good value GCs these days.

Even through the stylistic changes within Erwan’s tenure, I think Faiveley’s Cazetiers is often among the best values among Côte de Nuits Premier Crus and certainly among Gevrey Premier Crus at its price-level.

I would say “especially with the style changes.” In my opinion Erwan’s wines are far better than his fathers’. It can’t be known yet but I suspect that will be true when the wines are old as well (even though they show so well young).

I’ve mentioned this before but it’s well worth listening to the I’ll Drink to That podcast on Faiveley. The style change is discussed at length. Apparently it’s more of a return toward the grandfather’s style than a brand new one.

I think I will buy a few more. Assuming oak integration, it should be great later.