TN: 2000 Teldeschi Petite Sirah

2000 Teldeschi Petite Sirah - Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, CA
Opaque and inky purple in color. Decanted for 1 1/2 hours which rewarded me with aromas of black cherry, black plum, black licorice, tar, and vanilla on the nose. Black cherry, black licorice, and white pepper on the palate. Full body, mediium(+) acidity, medium(+) tannins. Long finish that lasted close to two minutes. Tannins have become polished with age. At its peak or nearing its peak I would say.

Nice note Stephen - big fan of this wine and the 2001 as well. Heres my note from Dec. 17 . Sounds like we had pretty similar impressions - good stuff!!

‘Not shocking, but still black as night in the glass, and with notes of deep black fruits, and leather on the nose. In the mouth this is tasty, and a nice mouth-full of blackberries, tar, leather, and spice, with a wall of tannins still present on the finish. Definitely not over the top in regards to the fruit, but enough that it should hold up to the huge tannins and probably be even better 5 to 10 years from now. Enjoying it tonight, but id say hold for a handful of years for maximum enjoyment (which is exactly what I’ll be doing with the lone bottle of 2001 that I have in the cellar).’

I like these Teldeschi PS wines. I’ve had the 1999, 2000, and 2001, and they all perform well. They’re also pretty inexpensive. They certainly have a lot of sediment.

PS continues to impress me with its ability to last the long haul.
I recently found an 11 year-old, $5 PS ‘cheapie’ in my cellar (It WAS a screwtop, though). It still had grippy tannins and fresh fruit.