Sub $20 Cabernet based wines

Looking for your favorite easily available sub $20 Cabernet based wines. Location doesn’t matter to me, but my wife is currently not drinking red and I don’t drink enough to open any pricier bottles.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Tough spot for domestic unless you like the oak/sweeter leaning style. I’d look to outlying Bordeaux for variety and value.

If you haven’t had Charles Smith’s Substance out of Washington that’s a good play here too

Came here to say Substance. Always on sale at either my local grocery store or wine shops. Always have a bottle on hand as it’s a great weekday bottle

We sell some of them, but Substance, Novelty Hill or Luke from WA and Mendel, Susana Balbo or Crios from ARG are good values.

Ones I’ve had at that price point, which you can still find, and which did not make me sad have been Chateau Senejac, Jax Y3 Taureau, The Fableist Paso Robles and Lanessan.

For Bordeaux, I’ll echo Lanessan and Senejac as great <20 Medoc Cabernet blends. For California the only one I’ve had was Louis Martini Sonoma Cabernet. Surprisingly bright and elegant for the price and producer.

Joel Gott and CS Wines of Substance come to mind. Hard to find in that price point.

Educated Guess??

Maybe the question should be what big red should I be drinking sub 20?

Rioja, Chianti?

Foxglove
The Charles & Charles Cab/Syrah has been pretty good at times (again another Charles Smith affiliated wine).

I would try some Spanish Monastrell perhaps if you want to break out of Cab.

Maybe Zinfandel…you can get Bedrock Old Vine for $20. Perfect bbq/pizza leave the rest for the next day type wine.

Educated Guess isn’t bad for $18 or so. Franciscan. Louis Martini Napa for $25-$30

From Bordeaux (some have a goodly amount of Merlot):
Lanessan
Tour St Bonnet
Charmail

Came here to say Substance from Washington State. I would also look at Chile for some Cabernet’s based at that price point.

From Chile I think both Cousino Macul’s Antinguas Reservas and Porta’s Gran Reserva cabernets are very solid, distinctive choices in the sub $20 sweepstakes. More mint on the former, more red fruit on the latter.

2015 Robert Mondavi Napa Valley. Might be able to find it at $20.

look to Aglianico from southern Italy.

I always have Ste. Michelle Indian Wells on hand, very good for $12

The Marietta Arme is Cab based and is $20.00 give or take a couple dollars.

Tom

+1

One of the best values in the world of wine.

Lanessan if you need the Cab-blend.