The Comprehensive Hypothetical Napa Classified Growth Lists (and what we might consider to be the current cult wines)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Comprehensive Hypothetical Napa Classified Growth Lists (and what we might consider to be the current cult wines

#101 Post by J a y H a c k » May 14th, 2019, 8:27 am

David Crow wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 8:07 am
. . .
Thanks. Great list. Very interesting. I would not include some of the wines in the classification because they are too new, but that doesn't make them bad. It also identifies a few wines I have to check out. Dana Estates and Tor I've never had. Ugh. All I need is another expensive Cali Cab. I was on the original Dana list but never bought because I drew the line a bit below their price point at the time.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Bdklein

Re: The Comprehensive Hypothetical Napa Classified Growth Lists (and what we might consider to be the current cult wines

#102 Post by Bdklein » May 14th, 2019, 9:29 am

Ian S wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Not much mention of Maybach in this thread. They certainly fall under "cult" status, therefore would be a Classified Growth by this thread's hypothetical definition, given that their secondary market price is twice or more of release price.
Reallly? Double or more on release price ?
Bruce Klein

Mar3 Koslowsky

#103 Post by Mar3 Koslowsky » May 14th, 2019, 10:38 am

Feels like two threads here and maybe needs to be broken out

1. Classification of Napa- hard to imagine that you can put folks on this list with a sub 10 year track record at a minimum
2. Cult List- which would be more dynamic given how often it changes

Ian S

#104 Post by Ian S » May 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Bdklein wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:29 am
Ian S wrote:
Not much mention of Maybach in this thread. They certainly fall under "cult" status, therefore would be a Classified Growth by this thread's hypothetical definition, given that their secondary market price is twice or more of release price.
2013 and 2014 are twice or more if you check Wine Searcher.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Craig G » May 15th, 2019, 8:52 am

Ian S wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Bdklein wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:29 am
Ian S wrote:
2013 and 2014 are twice or more if you check Wine Searcher.
If anyone is paying that for Maybach I would suspect a money laundering scheme :-)
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Return to “Wine Talk”