Virtual Tasting - Red Blends 3 or more Varieties

I was going to call it Frankentein Wines but that was unlikely to get much participation. This could be anything from a Bordeaux blend to, well, a Frankenstein wine. What promoted me is a bottle I received for my birthday, a 7 variety blend from Buena Vista, that I opened for my Sharks/Warriors marathon tonight.

Let’s see what interesting blends you have in your cellar.

Or perhaps a traditional rhone blend?!?!?

Why of course Ranger Larry!

Perfect timing. Ridge sent their Lytton Estate Syrah/Grenache/Mataro in the last ATP shipment. I’ve got one at home to give trial run to. It’s officially on deck.

• 2016 Buena Vista The Sheriff - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/10/2019)
    This wine was a birthday gift from my Daughter and Son in law, a blend of seven varieties.
    Pop n pour and follow for a couple days. Pours dark purple with PS evident right away. Fruity blackberry nose with more peppery Syrah than Cabernet and a hint of cedar from the Cab Franc. Ripe and viscous, blackberry, blueberry, black currant, more pepper, acid astringency on the tongue strawberry late and a fairly tame finish.

Nothing contemplative but would work well with burgers and/or BBQ in the backyard.

Posted from CellarTracker

From the latest Ridge ATP shipment. Tasty and crowd friendly without being a sweet fruited jam bomb. What California can do pretty well when done right.

• 2016 Ridge Syrah/Grenache/Mataro Lytton Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (5/9/2019)
    Smells of dark fruits jam. Forward fruited on the palate also but not huge feeling. Just big and fresh. Midweight. Fine tannin. The acidity is a wee bit tart. 54/30/16 Syrah/Grenache/Mataro shows up in the overall darkness of the fruit. Not quite as dense or big as you might expect. And it’s not reserved. This is a drink in the next few years for best results sort of wine. Makes me think of the Wilde Farm Bedrock in that it’s really showing off California fresh fruit. Tasty versus regal.

I’m drinking a glass of Larry’s Petite Sirah (awesome), and have some Aberration in the fridge and what the hell, did a 3/4 / 1/4 glass.

25% Aberration - 40% Cinsault, 40% Grenache and 20% Carignan
75% Petite Sirah - 100%

Bam, red 4 varietal blend. Not going to try to do the math to readjust the %'s now but this was fun.

2012 Perez Cruz Liguai. Lush Chilean blend of Syrah, Cab and Carmenere. Dark red velvet color. Blackberry, currant. Pepper, eucalyptus. Solid tannins, mostly integrated, but a bit oaky.

Look at that, pulling some newbies out of the weeds! Gret to see you all contributing, let’s keep the notes coming. (Oh, you too Cris :wink:)

• 2014 Château Siran - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/11/2019)
    A gift from a friend that’s been sitting for a year or more teasing me. This was pretty darn good for the price point. Nice balance, no overt fruit, not overly complex, just seamless from front to back. Will benefit from more time yet very drinkable at this stage. I’d definitely buy more.

So interesting, my friend - would think the petite would ‘over power’ the other varieties, but heck, what do I know?!??

Cheers!