2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32675
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#101 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2019, 9:43 am

Jeff,

What gap will someone have in their life if they fail to buy any 2018 Bordeaux?

“Must have” is pure hyperbole.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1667
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#102 Post by Jeff Leve » May 26th, 2019, 9:45 am

Alan Newman wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:36 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:18 am
Having tasted and posted on the best 600 wines of the vintage, at least in my eyes, or should I say palate, there are several wines to buy, at various price levels that warrant purchasing.
Jeff- would greatly appreciate your list of values in 2018!

Alan
Alan... There are several. Your best bet is to peruse my article on 2018 Bordeaux if you haven’t already.

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/20 ... e-vintage/

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14569
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#103 Post by Craig G » May 26th, 2019, 9:49 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:41 am
Actually, there are no “must have” wines from anywhere. Nobody will suffer if they fail to acquire any specific wine, or really any wine at all.
Just because FOMO is all in your head doesn’t mean it’s not real suffering.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1667
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#104 Post by Jeff Leve » May 26th, 2019, 9:50 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:43 am
Jeff,

What gap will someone have in their life if they fail to buy any 2018 Bordeaux?

“Must have” is pure hyperbole.
It depends on how much you like the wines of Bordeaux, and this style, or not. Some of these wines are so good, I want them in my cellar.

My liking them is one thing. Everyone knows I like Bordeaux. But telling my friends that I know offline in the real world (where I’m accountable for my tips) they should buy them, that’s the highest compliment I can give a wine. YMMV

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32675
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#105 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2019, 10:03 am

So it’s hyperbole.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
Posts: 33412
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#106 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 26th, 2019, 11:24 am

Craig G wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:49 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:41 am
Actually, there are no “must have” wines from anywhere. Nobody will suffer if they fail to acquire any specific wine, or really any wine at all.
Just because FOMO is all in your head doesn’t mean it’s not real suffering.
Big facts
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
Posts: 33412
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#107 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 26th, 2019, 11:29 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 10:03 am
So it’s hyperbole.
Being as the Earth's entire population of observant Muslims, large percentages of the population of Asia, millions of Baptists in this country, and countless others drink no wine of any type and yet manage to have happy lives, I would have thought it obvious that when Jeff says a wine is a must-buy, he is using the phrase as a figure of speech and is not being literal. You knew that, of course, but thought that Jeff needed to be called out for some reason I am struggling to understand.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3034
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#108 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 26th, 2019, 11:44 am

Château Les Carmes Haut-Brion a must buy? 2016s (which mine have still not delivered) are showing on WS for $200 per bottle. Will we see similar increases for 2018?

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21039
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#109 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 26th, 2019, 11:49 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:50 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:43 am
Jeff,

What gap will someone have in their life if they fail to buy any 2018 Bordeaux?

“Must have” is pure hyperbole.
It depends on how much you like the wines of Bordeaux, and this style, or not. Some of these wines are so good, I want them in my cellar.

My liking them is one thing. Everyone knows I like Bordeaux. But telling my friends that I know offline in the real world (where I’m accountable for my tips) they should buy them, that’s the highest compliment I can give a wine. YMMV
Leve arm-twisted me into buying 2016 Les Carmes, tripling my investment! Yay.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6148
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#110 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 26th, 2019, 11:57 am

Come on Robert; I cannot think of two more disparate palates than yours and Jeff’s
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 927
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#111 Post by Jim Stewart » May 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 7:02 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 6:58 am
This thread makes 2018 EP so tempting, but no....
+1

Too old!
. . . now THAT is hyperbole !
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21039
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#112 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 26th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 11:57 am
Come on Robert; I cannot think of two more disparate palates than yours and Jeff’s
True.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1667
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#113 Post by Jeff Leve » May 26th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 11:57 am
Come on Robert; I cannot think of two more disparate palates than yours and Jeff’s
Yours and mine😁

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32675
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#114 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 11:29 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 10:03 am
So it’s hyperbole.
Being as the Earth's entire population of observant Muslims, large percentages of the population of Asia, millions of Baptists in this country, and countless others drink no wine of any type and yet manage to have happy lives, I would have thought it obvious that when Jeff says a wine is a must-buy, he is using the phrase as a figure of speech and is not being literal. You knew that, of course, but thought that Jeff needed to be called out for some reason I am struggling to understand.
I fundamentally object to the “must buy” or “can’t miss” messages, regardless of who writes them.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
Posts: 33412
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#115 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 11:29 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 10:03 am
So it’s hyperbole.
Being as the Earth's entire population of observant Muslims, large percentages of the population of Asia, millions of Baptists in this country, and countless others drink no wine of any type and yet manage to have happy lives, I would have thought it obvious that when Jeff says a wine is a must-buy, he is using the phrase as a figure of speech and is not being literal. You knew that, of course, but thought that Jeff needed to be called out for some reason I am struggling to understand.
I fundamentally object to the “must buy” or “can’t miss” messages, regardless of who writes them.
So you interpret a post in a way you know it wasn't intended and post your "fundamental objection" to a fiction. Seems like a lot of effort to stake out your opposition to a position no one has taken, but ok. You be you.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32675
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#116 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Perhaps you are taking this too seriously.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1168
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#117 Post by Marcus Dean » May 26th, 2019, 2:40 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Perhaps you are taking this too seriously.
Board Motto

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32675
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#118 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Yep. I fall prey to it all too often.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
BenW
Posts: 115
Joined: July 27th, 2017, 7:44 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#119 Post by BenW » May 26th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:18 am

If you are purchasing equivalent of a case of wine, 12 full bottles, you’re buying 9 liters. You should be able order your wine in 375, of any format should you wish.
I’m sure this is true... the problem is there is a lot of wines where I want 2-3 375s but not 24. Total Wine has been the place to do that in the past.
B.Williams

Adam Levyn
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#120 Post by Adam Levyn » May 26th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Total Wine has been almost a week without a new offering...wonder if they will get Canon, etc.

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 320
Joined: January 27th, 2010, 8:41 pm
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#121 Post by Alan Newman » May 27th, 2019, 8:05 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:45 am

Alan... There are several. Your best bet is to peruse my article on 2018 Bordeaux if you haven’t already.

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/20 ... e-vintage/
Thanks Jeff- found this page and it was very helpful:
https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/20 ... 5-dollars/

Jim Hartten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 450
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#122 Post by Jim Hartten » May 27th, 2019, 1:47 pm

As noted, no wine is “must buy”, but that was never the point. With the 2014s, 2015s, 2016s and now 2018s we have had a string of very good to great vintages. To me that translates lots of options that, based on experience, hit the retail shelf 20% - 30% above what I paid on futures. So if you like Bordeaux, the past few years and now is a good time to stock up. [cheers.gif] Btw, The 2018s remind me of the 1982s [wow.gif] - flirtysmile

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 125
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#123 Post by Dinesh Goyal » May 27th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Have already bought Pontet Canet and Calon Segur. Waiting for LLC, VCC and Pichon Lalande to get released.

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2403
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#124 Post by NoahR » May 27th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Adam Levyn wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Has anyone else noticed that Total Wine has been almost a week without a new offering...wonder if they will get Canon, etc.
Noted this as well. Emailed them. They said it would come out this week but did not say why the delay. Saw first offerings for Rauzan Segla and have been waiting for Total Wine to offer it.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#125 Post by Jim F » May 27th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Yes, I noticed too. What Total has told me in the past is that it takes a bit more time for them to get there offer set vs local retailers because their business model has them in numerous states, and hence, the hurdles they must jump to meet all those local requirements for pricing etc. I think this is a take it FWIW, but being a NJ resident, it kind of resonates. In this state, I believe pricing has to be registered with the state, or something like that. Having said this, I really don’t know shit about the process.
Jim Freeman

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 144
Joined: January 27th, 2015, 9:48 am
Location: Austin

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#126 Post by Jason L Jones » May 28th, 2019, 7:34 am

TW did not have the same delay 2015-2017, and other large retailers don't seem to have that problem.

This, along with some fulfillment issues that have been documented by members here, gives me some pause as to whether I should continue buying futures from them.

User avatar
Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 461
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#127 Post by Vince T » May 28th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I suspect whoever at Total was responsible for updating their futures was out on vacation for the long weekend.

They now have Canon, Rauzan-Segla, Chevalier, GPL, Leo-Barton, etc. As a bonus, except for Canon, all of these are available in 375ml as well.
T s 3 n g

Adam Levyn
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#128 Post by Adam Levyn » May 28th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Crazy - the Rauzan already sold out. I only got the email a little over an hour and a half ago!

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3034
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#129 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 28th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Vince T wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:10 pm
I suspect whoever at Total was responsible for updating their futures was out on vacation for the long weekend.

They now have Canon, Rauzan-Segla, Chevalier, GPL, Leo-Barton, etc. As a bonus, except for Canon, all of these are available in 375ml as well.
TW already selling out, e.g. Rauzan.

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 125
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#130 Post by Dinesh Goyal » May 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm

It is crazy. I checked earlier today and both Rauzan and Canon were available. Now both are sold out.

Adam Levyn
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#131 Post by Adam Levyn » May 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Is there a place that still have the Rauzan available that folks would recommend?

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3034
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#132 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 28th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Can’t believe I’ve fallen for the hype. Just picked up Les Carmes, Chevalier, and Pontet.
[head-bang.gif]

Peter Valiquette
Posts: 55
Joined: April 14th, 2018, 10:35 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#133 Post by Peter Valiquette » May 28th, 2019, 6:42 pm

The futures offer hit the website a few hours before the email came out.

YLee
Posts: 1165
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#134 Post by YLee » May 28th, 2019, 6:56 pm

I have been holding firm on 2018 vintage. Bought only 1 producer.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

matt d
Posts: 120
Joined: August 18th, 2015, 7:03 am
Location: Cleveland

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#135 Post by matt d » May 29th, 2019, 6:43 am

Adam Levyn wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Is there a place that still have the Rauzan available that folks would recommend?
wine.com still has them
M@tthew D@h@r

User avatar
R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Location: Washington

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#136 Post by R_Gilbane » May 29th, 2019, 8:14 am

A friend of mine who is well versed in all things bordeaux recently told me that, "If there was one bottle of 2018 Bordeaux to buy, it's the 2010 Overnoy Pupillin Poulsard". Where can I buy that? Wine.com? Total Wine?
Bobby

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#137 Post by Jim F » May 29th, 2019, 9:54 am

matt d wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 6:43 am
Adam Levyn wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Is there a place that still have the Rauzan available that folks would recommend?
wine.com still has them
MacArthurs just listed them.
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
Posts: 33412
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#138 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 29th, 2019, 10:04 am

R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:14 am
A friend of mine who is well versed in all things bordeaux recently told me that, "If there was one bottle of 2018 Bordeaux to buy, it's the 2010 Overnoy Pupillin Poulsard". Where can I buy that? Wine.com? Total Wine?
Your friend is taking the piss out of you. That is a Jura wine, not a bordeaux
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Location: Washington

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#139 Post by R_Gilbane » May 29th, 2019, 10:57 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:04 am
R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:14 am
A friend of mine who is well versed in all things bordeaux recently told me that, "If there was one bottle of 2018 Bordeaux to buy, it's the 2010 Overnoy Pupillin Poulsard". Where can I buy that? Wine.com? Total Wine?
Your friend is taking the piss out of you. That is a Jura wine, not a bordeaux

Even if it has the grey wax? He said the Grey Wax was some sort of ode to the Grey Worm character in Game of Thrones. Not necessarily my thing but my 1.5 year old son is a big fan of Grey Worm and I thought it would be a fine birth year gift for him.
Bobby

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1361
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#140 Post by lleichtman » May 29th, 2019, 11:03 am

Quit five years ago. Getting too old to reasonably age them. Will drink up the 10 cases of older Bordeaux I already have.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
T.Phillips
Posts: 61
Joined: April 9th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#141 Post by T.Phillips » May 29th, 2019, 11:06 am

R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:57 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:04 am
R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:14 am
A friend of mine who is well versed in all things bordeaux recently told me that, "If there was one bottle of 2018 Bordeaux to buy, it's the 2010 Overnoy Pupillin Poulsard". Where can I buy that? Wine.com? Total Wine?
Your friend is taking the piss out of you. That is a Jura wine, not a bordeaux

Even if it has the grey wax? He said the Grey Wax was some sort of ode to the Grey Worm character in Game of Thrones. Not necessarily my thing but my 1.5 year old son is a big fan of Grey Worm and I thought it would be a fine birth year gift for him.
Hahahah. Dude i want some overnoy. It has become a unicorn. I search winebid every week for it religiously haha
T y

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
Posts: 33412
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#142 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 29th, 2019, 11:52 am

R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:57 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:04 am
R_Gilbane wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:14 am
A friend of mine who is well versed in all things bordeaux recently told me that, "If there was one bottle of 2018 Bordeaux to buy, it's the 2010 Overnoy Pupillin Poulsard". Where can I buy that? Wine.com? Total Wine?
Your friend is taking the piss out of you. That is a Jura wine, not a bordeaux

Even if it has the grey wax? He said the Grey Wax was some sort of ode to the Grey Worm character in Game of Thrones. Not necessarily my thing but my 1.5 year old son is a big fan of Grey Worm and I thought it would be a fine birth year gift for him.
I see. Humor. You’re too sophisticated for me
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 9:42 am
Location: Kennett Square, PA

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#143 Post by Jeff Vaughan » May 29th, 2019, 1:16 pm

I swore I wasn't going to buy. Just buy more 14, 15 and 16. Then, this morning I tried to buy more 2016 Leoville Barton and struggled to find it near me. What I am finding is in nearby states and close to $120. Then I have shipping issues in PA and DE. I became weak and I broke down and bought six of the 2018 at $87 ea. I am getting too old to be buying these, but the kids can drink or sell them if need be.
CT: outplaying

User avatar
Troy Stark
Posts: 263
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#144 Post by Troy Stark » May 30th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Does no one buy Giscours? We consistently find it to be one of the best values in bordeaux.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14569
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#145 Post by Craig G » May 30th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:52 am
I see. Humor. You’re too sophisticated for me
Humor has no place on this forum.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

YLee
Posts: 1165
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#146 Post by YLee » May 31st, 2019, 6:32 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:16 pm
I swore I wasn't going to buy. Just buy more 14, 15 and 16. Then, this morning I tried to buy more 2016 Leoville Barton and struggled to find it near me. What I am finding is in nearby states and close to $120. Then I have shipping issues in PA and DE. I became weak and I broke down and bought six of the 2018 at $87 ea. I am getting too old to be buying these, but the kids can drink or sell them if need be.
You dont appear old in your avatar.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 177
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#147 Post by Brian Thorne » May 31st, 2019, 7:02 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:16 pm
I swore I wasn't going to buy. Just buy more 14, 15 and 16. Then, this morning I tried to buy more 2016 Leoville Barton and struggled to find it near me. What I am finding is in nearby states and close to $120. Then I have shipping issues in PA and DE. I became weak and I broke down and bought six of the 2018 at $87 ea. I am getting too old to be buying these, but the kids can drink or sell them if need be.
I remember Dan P was selling the '16 Leoville Barton last month for $93 per bottle, on hand and in stock. For what that's worth, I've been seeing the 16's roll in, and the in-stock offerings are great, and for me the prices seem reasonable compared to the 18's. If you ask me, would I rather pay $93 for the 16 Leoville Barton and have it in my cellar tomorrow, or save 7% on the '18 and cross my fingers and hope I actually get it in ~ 2 years? Well that's a no-brainer for me, whether it's Leoville or any other great/classic Bordeaux wine when making the '16 vs. '18 buying decision! But I'm still waiting on several of my '08 and '09 PC futures to come in, so I may be a bit risk averse [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 9:42 am
Location: Kennett Square, PA

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#148 Post by Jeff Vaughan » May 31st, 2019, 7:11 am

Brian Thorne wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 7:02 am
Jeff Vaughan wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:16 pm
I swore I wasn't going to buy. Just buy more 14, 15 and 16. Then, this morning I tried to buy more 2016 Leoville Barton and struggled to find it near me. What I am finding is in nearby states and close to $120. Then I have shipping issues in PA and DE. I became weak and I broke down and bought six of the 2018 at $87 ea. I am getting too old to be buying these, but the kids can drink or sell them if need be.
I remember Dan P was selling the '16 Leoville Barton last month for $93 per bottle, on hand and in stock. For what that's worth, I've been seeing the 16's roll in, and the in-stock offerings are great, and for me the prices seem reasonable compared to the 18's. If you ask me, would I rather pay $93 for the 16 Leoville Barton and have it in my cellar tomorrow, or save 7% on the '18 and cross my fingers and hope I actually get it in ~ 2 years? Well that's a no-brainer for me, whether it's Leoville or any other great/classic Bordeaux wine when making the '16 vs. '18 buying decision! But I'm still waiting on several of my '08 and '09 PC futures to come in, so I may be a bit risk averse [cheers.gif]
I would definitely choose delivery of the 16 now at $93 over the 18 if I could do that easily. I ordered from TW so I am not concerned about delivery.
YLee wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 6:32 am
Jeff Vaughan wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:16 pm
I swore I wasn't going to buy. Just buy more 14, 15 and 16. Then, this morning I tried to buy more 2016 Leoville Barton and struggled to find it near me. What I am finding is in nearby states and close to $120. Then I have shipping issues in PA and DE. I became weak and I broke down and bought six of the 2018 at $87 ea. I am getting too old to be buying these, but the kids can drink or sell them if need be.
You dont appear old in your avatar.
Thank you. It is time to update that. That was nine years ago. Age has caught up with me.
CT: outplaying

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#149 Post by Jim F » May 31st, 2019, 8:40 am

FWIW, Bottle King in NJ has 2016 Leoville Barton on the Shelf for $99.
Jim Freeman

Adam Levyn
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#150 Post by Adam Levyn » May 31st, 2019, 2:25 pm

Does anyone know how many 375s one needs to order from Total Wine to get the wine in a OWC?

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”