2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#1 Post by NoahR » May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm

So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1294
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 9:42 am
Location: Kennett Square, PA

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#2 Post by Jeff Vaughan » May 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I am going to wait until tasting them. I’m not sure that this is a vintage for me, I am getter older, and 12, 14, 15 and 16’s are still available at similar pricing.
CT: outplaying

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 709
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#3 Post by C Chen » May 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm

curt1S ch3N

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 624
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#4 Post by Jim F » May 8th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I snagged a couple bottles of Calon Segur. Also have my eyes open for P. Lalande, Ducru and Rauzan Segla, but it will be a smattering of bottles total purchase limited to 1 case. I am at an age when buying any is questionable at best, and I am pretty stocked with 14-16’s. But it will be interesting to see how these wines turn out.
Jim Freeman

Ron Erickson
Posts: 4427
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#5 Post by Ron Erickson » May 8th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I'm stopping with the 14,15,16 run.

YLee
Posts: 826
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#6 Post by YLee » May 8th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I bought case of Laroque. Seems like it could be a great QPR. Other then that, I will be buying LLC & VCC.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#7 Post by NoahR » May 8th, 2019, 7:28 pm

C Chen wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm
Might help: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159645
Yeah. That thread was a mess. Started a new one for a reason. :)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38429
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 8th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I'd love to grab some Calon Segur, as the price is basically the same as the 2016...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6170
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#9 Post by David Glasser » May 8th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Nothing.
Too old.
Cellar is too full.
Any Bordeaux purchases going forward would be backfilling.

If I were younger, I’d still pass on en primeur and buy on release. I prefer to see what people are saying about finished wines before committing. I don’t think there is a significant enough chance for a financial advantage to buying en primeur. That said, these are the ones that would have my attention now, based on the early reports, my experiences with past vintages, and expectations for costs I can justify:

Montrose
Meyney
Pichon Baron
Pichon Lalande
Pontet Canet
Lynch Bages
Leoville Barton
Branaire Ducru
Talbot
Rauzan Segla
Siran
Carmes Haut Brion (a new one for me)
Haut Brion (if I hit the lottery)
Haut Bailly
Conseillante
VCC (aspirational given pricing)

User avatar
Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#10 Post by Vince T » May 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I was a bit dispirited by Calon Segur prices... at $105 I may go in for a few, but it's not quite the deal that '16 was ($85 en primeur).

May also go in for Rauzan Segla (especially if it comes out at <$100), Meyney, Branaire-Ducru, Carmes HB, Chevalier, and Laroque.

Many of the Pomerols sound lovely (esp. VCC, l'Evangile, Conseillante), but I'm sure they'll be above what I want to spend.
T s 3 n g

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1642
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#11 Post by Jeff Leve » May 10th, 2019, 12:57 am

Vince T wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm
I was a bit dispirited by Calon Segur prices... at $105 I may go in for a few, but it's not quite the deal that '16 was ($85 en primeur).
If spending $100 is too much for any wine, I get it. FWIW 18 Calon Segur is better than 16, it’s probably the best wine in the history of the estate. For that level of quality, personally I think it’s underpriced.

The estate has been slowly building and improving the brand. You can expect more price hikes in the future over time as it competes with COS and Montrose.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16098
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#12 Post by Howard Cooper » May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am

NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32344
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#13 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 10th, 2019, 4:34 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Given what's happened to my portfolio this week I'd say yes
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#14 Post by NoahR » May 10th, 2019, 4:55 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Don’t know, Howard. What does it mean to be “snarky”? Is it different from being “snide”? Is there a reason you’re trying to draw a distinction that I’m not? If I put money into something that I’m going to neither enjoy nor touch for close to 20 years, earmarked for my children, is it somehow inappropriate to call it an investment? But feel free to call me out on it, please.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5843
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 10th, 2019, 5:40 am

I make no secret that all my Bordeaux purchases from the 2009 vintage on are for investment. I would be defying every actuarial table if I were able to drink them at prime maturity.

I bought them for three reasons


1. I still enjoy the chase
2. My son can enjoy or sell them. My hope is he will drink them, and if so, that makes for a great personal investment in himself and
3. I suspect they will easily outpace other investments earmarked for him.

In the meantime, the wines will have been professionally stored, and if he were to sell them, will be in optimal condition.
Last edited by Mark Golodetz on May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20175
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am

Oh snap, Noah is a flipper like Fu!?!

;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#17 Post by Vince T » May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:57 am
Vince T wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm
I was a bit dispirited by Calon Segur prices... at $105 I may go in for a few, but it's not quite the deal that '16 was ($85 en primeur).
If spending $100 is too much for any wine, I get it. FWIW 18 Calon Segur is better than 16, it’s probably the best wine in the history of the estate. For that level of quality, personally I think it’s underpriced.

The estate has been slowly building and improving the brand. You can expect more price hikes in the future over time as it competes with COS and Montrose.
Jeff - I get that it's excellent, and a deal relative to comparably good "super seconds." I'll probably still buy, I was just hoping (optimistically) that it'd be sub-$100 and be another bargain of the vintage. Like Rauzan Segla in 2015 for $70 - i recently had my first taste and it was [wow.gif].

I'm curious if you think there are other standout QPR wines this year? Carmes? Rauzan Segla? I saw your note on Laroque - thanks for that tip.
T s 3 n g

User avatar
Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 627
Joined: August 12th, 2011, 4:44 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#18 Post by Julian Marshall » May 10th, 2019, 9:22 am

Whilst the days of drinking for free are probably over in Bordeaux, by buying two cases and selling one ten years later, I think Jeff's absolutely spot on about Calon, which he rightly called a few years back. All older vintages are increasing in price over here and 2018 is bound to do the same. Calon is a special case because of Cos and Montrose. Les Carmes sounds a good bet too - others I'm less sure about.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5760
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#19 Post by Markus S » May 10th, 2019, 10:08 am

None. Too old...too expensive...don't drink a lot of Bordeaux.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 628
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#20 Post by Greg K » May 10th, 2019, 10:29 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:34 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Given what's happened to my portfolio this week I'd say yes
How much of it did you drink Neal?
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32344
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#21 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

Greg K wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 10:29 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:34 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am


What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Given what's happened to my portfolio this week I'd say yes
How much of it did you drink Neal?
I'm afraid it is illiquid
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
T.Phillips
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#22 Post by T.Phillips » May 10th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Purchasing a fair amount of bdx this year, as my wedding year was 2018. With this, am trying to seek out the more long term age-able wines from the vintage. The high pH and high alcohol is a little worrisome to me for long term. Does anyone have any input on if this should be a large concern for me?

Purchased so far:
Calon segur x12
Les carmes haut brion x12

Waiting for:
Lafite
Margaux
VCC
Trotanoy
LLC
Rauzan Segla
Pichon Lalande
Pontet Canet
Ducru beaucaillou
Etc
T y

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16098
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#23 Post by Howard Cooper » May 10th, 2019, 1:23 pm

NoahR wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:55 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Don’t know, Howard. What does it mean to be “snarky”? Is it different from being “snide”? Is there a reason you’re trying to draw a distinction that I’m not? If I put money into something that I’m going to neither enjoy nor touch for close to 20 years, earmarked for my children, is it somehow inappropriate to call it an investment? But feel free to call me out on it, please.
I was trying to find out why you used the term. I have never considered the wine I buy to be an investment. I consider it to be an expense. I think that when people who buy wine call it an investment, they are buying for the purpose of reselling (or something similar to what Mark has in mind), not for the purpose of drinking, so I asked what you meant.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 709
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#24 Post by C Chen » May 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Purchased:

- 6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
- 6x Laroque

Considering Calon Segur and waiting for Pichon Lalande prices. Also looking for 375ml Sauternes-- not really convinced Suduiraut (current listing) will be it.
curt1S ch3N

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#25 Post by NoahR » May 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 1:23 pm
NoahR wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:55 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am


What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Don’t know, Howard. What does it mean to be “snarky”? Is it different from being “snide”? Is there a reason you’re trying to draw a distinction that I’m not? If I put money into something that I’m going to neither enjoy nor touch for close to 20 years, earmarked for my children, is it somehow inappropriate to call it an investment? But feel free to call me out on it, please.
I was trying to find out why you used the term. I have never considered the wine I buy to be an investment. I consider it to be an expense. I think that when people who buy wine call it an investment, they are buying for the purpose of reselling (or something similar to what Mark has in mind), not for the purpose of drinking, so I asked what you meant.
You’ve had a tendency to jump down my throat in the past. Forgive my being aggressive.

I bought them, at least nominally, for my children. They’re investments in that they have fluctuating monetary value on the resale market and will hopefully appreciate. Should they choose to drink them, then they may, and if they choose to sell them, I’d be okay with that too.

For me, I don’t think wine is an “expense” in that I can always sell. They are not an expense or sunken cost until I drink them, and then they would immediately cease to have resale value, so they are sort of like Schroedinger’s Cat in that sense...

I just had big sinus surgery last week, and showed up at Bassins to say hi to Joe and Tim and Phil with tape all over my nose. Can’t smell currently, and, while I had a 20min period where I could, I knew that there is a greater-than-zero risk with this surgery that I would permanently lose my sense of smell. In that case, I would be able to sell my entire collection of wine. Since a lot is recent vintages, I’d probably lose 20% of the value, but if it’s an expense, it would be a sunken cost, so I guess it’s still an investment to me until I choose to drink it. :)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 978
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#26 Post by RichardFlack » May 10th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:34 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Yes. You don’t actually drink it. [stirthepothal.gif]
Given what's happened to my portfolio this week I'd say yes
Well at least your cellar is still good, you can turn to that for solace.

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1642
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#27 Post by Jeff Leve » May 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Vince T wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:57 am
Vince T wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm
I was a bit dispirited by Calon Segur prices... at $105 I may go in for a few, but it's not quite the deal that '16 was ($85 en primeur).
If spending $100 is too much for any wine, I get it. FWIW 18 Calon Segur is better than 16, it’s probably the best wine in the history of the estate. For that level of quality, personally I think it’s underpriced.

The estate has been slowly building and improving the brand. You can expect more price hikes in the future over time as it competes with COS and Montrose.
Jeff - I get that it's excellent, and a deal relative to comparably good "super seconds." I'll probably still buy, I was just hoping (optimistically) that it'd be sub-$100 and be another bargain of the vintage. Like Rauzan Segla in 2015 for $70 - i recently had my first taste and it was [wow.gif].

I'm curious if you think there are other standout QPR wines this year? Carmes? Rauzan Segla? I saw your note on Laroque - thanks for that tip.
There’s a lot of well-priced, high quality wines and several strong value wines. Best thing is for you to read my site and let me know if you have any questions.

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 635
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#28 Post by Glen Gold » May 10th, 2019, 4:35 pm

This looks like a year where a range of critics gave good scores to various second wines like Petite Eglise, Croix de Beaucaillou and Pagodes. But there's rarely a compelling reason to buy those before they hit the shelves.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

User avatar
T.Phillips
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#29 Post by T.Phillips » May 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Vince T wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:57 am


If spending $100 is too much for any wine, I get it. FWIW 18 Calon Segur is better than 16, it’s probably the best wine in the history of the estate. For that level of quality, personally I think it’s underpriced.

The estate has been slowly building and improving the brand. You can expect more price hikes in the future over time as it competes with COS and Montrose.
Jeff - I get that it's excellent, and a deal relative to comparably good "super seconds." I'll probably still buy, I was just hoping (optimistically) that it'd be sub-$100 and be another bargain of the vintage. Like Rauzan Segla in 2015 for $70 - i recently had my first taste and it was [wow.gif].

I'm curious if you think there are other standout QPR wines this year? Carmes? Rauzan Segla? I saw your note on Laroque - thanks for that tip.
There’s a lot of well-priced, high quality wines and several strong value wines. Best thing is for you to read my site and let me know if you have any questions.

Not trying to jump in this back and forth, just wanted to say thanks to Jeff for making his notes public via cellar tracker and for his website. His inclusion of tech notes/data in his tasting notes is invaluable to me in my decision, as it adds some objective data to a subjective tasting note. Something that I do not feel I get from almost any other professional critic regardless of palate alignment

Thanks Jeff
T y

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 709
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#30 Post by C Chen » May 10th, 2019, 5:12 pm

What Ty said
curt1S ch3N

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1746
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#31 Post by Jayson Cohen » May 10th, 2019, 5:35 pm

NoahR wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm
For me, I don’t think wine is an “expense” in that I can always sell. They are not an expense or sunken cost until I drink them, and then they would immediately cease to have resale value, so they are sort of like Schroedinger’s Cat in that sense...
Not like Schroedinger’s Cat actually 😜 but in any case your point is clear.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#32 Post by maureen nelson » May 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Well, I have a grand niece born in 2018 so that is my excuse. So far i have purchased 1/2 case of les carmes haut brion, an estate I have liked since the 98 (indeed just backfilled a little of the ‘00) and a mag of the calon segur. Likely to buy a mag of the branaire. My goal is to give her and her big brother (born in 2014) 4-5 cases of different birth year wine. Don’t want to blow her allotment on bordeaus and want to get her some ducru

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#33 Post by NoahR » May 10th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:35 pm
NoahR wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm
For me, I don’t think wine is an “expense” in that I can always sell. They are not an expense or sunken cost until I drink them, and then they would immediately cease to have resale value, so they are sort of like Schroedinger’s Cat in that sense...
Not like Schroedinger’s Cat actually 😜 but in any case your point is clear.
They exist in a superposition of states, neither and both expenses and investments. The act of either selling or drinking collapses those multiple possibilities into an actuality. Niels Bohr agrees with me. Exactly like Uncle Erwin said.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 709
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#34 Post by C Chen » May 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Well, I have a grand niece born in 2018 so that is my excuse. So far i have purchased 1/2 case of les carmes haut brion, an estate I have liked since the 98 (indeed just backfilled a little of the ‘00) and a mag of the calon segur. Likely to buy a mag of the branaire. My goal is to give her and her big brother (born in 2014) 4-5 cases of different birth year wine. Don’t want to blow her allotment on bordeaus and want to get her some ducru
Will you adopt me?
curt1S ch3N

User avatar
C Chen
Posts: 709
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Location: California

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#35 Post by C Chen » May 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Whoa, 750ml bottles of 2018 Calon Segur at Total Wine are sold out.
curt1S ch3N

YLee
Posts: 826
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#36 Post by YLee » May 10th, 2019, 11:22 pm

C Chen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Whoa, 750ml bottles of 2018 Calon Segur at Total Wine are sold out.
Do you know why it's sold out? Did I miss a memo? 2018>2015 for Segur? I see 2015 for $85
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#37 Post by NoahR » May 11th, 2019, 4:05 am

YLee wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:22 pm
C Chen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Whoa, 750ml bottles of 2018 Calon Segur at Total Wine are sold out.
Do you know why it's sold out? Did I miss a memo? 2018>2015 for Segur? I see 2015 for $85
I would guess it’s because of the Vinous review at 96-99 that called it one of the best wines of the vintage.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 624
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#38 Post by Jim F » May 11th, 2019, 4:42 am

The Farr Vintners site said something about a 25% volume reduction in the release vs 2017. Futures games I think, combined with the aforementioned “demand”.
Jim Freeman

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#39 Post by NoahR » May 11th, 2019, 4:59 am

Jim F wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:42 am
The Farr Vintners site said something about a 25% volume reduction in the release vs 2017. Futures games I think, combined with the aforementioned “demand”.
I call bull$hit.

There is absolutely not a single large Bordeaux estate that can claim a right to inflate prices based on low yields. Scarcity is a joke. There is such a profound glut of Bordeaux that the negoce and houses have to hold it back and sell small tRanches to inflate demand.

Calon Segur is a 50+ hectare estate that makes about 20,000 cases per year. Compare that to anything in Napa or Burgundy.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5843
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#40 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 11th, 2019, 6:27 am

NoahR wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:59 am
Jim F wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:42 am
The Farr Vintners site said something about a 25% volume reduction in the release vs 2017. Futures games I think, combined with the aforementioned “demand”.
I call bull$hit.

There is absolutely not a single large Bordeaux estate that can claim a right to inflate prices based on low yields. Scarcity is a joke. There is such a profound glut of Bordeaux that the negoce and houses have to hold it back and sell small tRanches to inflate demand.

Calon Segur is a 50+ hectare estate that makes about 20,000 cases per year. Compare that to anything in Napa or Burgundy.
Perhaps, but an interesting question when you look at potential demand. Calon Segur has a world market, and the demand is a multiple of what it would be for a California wine. Burgundy has tiny production, and we have all seen what has happened to prices for the more coveted producers.

I am not sure how much is being held back. A lot of wine from 2013, the really tough vintage to get rid of, has gone to local markets at knockdown prices, and the trade does like to keep some back for inventory. Rather than a glut of unsold wine, I am told that stocks are a little greater than normal, but nothing to worry about. I talked to two large houses, but the smaller ones with less cash reserves may be feeling the pinch.
ITB

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4058
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#41 Post by Kris Patten » May 11th, 2019, 8:13 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:20 am
NoahR wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm
So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur
What does it mean to "invest" in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?
Investing is when you review your savings account, 401k 5 year performance, sign up for Experian and see your credit score, and review any debt calls that may be actionable before buying wine.
ITB

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#42 Post by maureen nelson » May 11th, 2019, 11:20 am

C Chen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm
maureen nelson wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Well, I have a grand niece born in 2018 so that is my excuse. So far i have purchased 1/2 case of les carmes haut brion, an estate I have liked since the 98 (indeed just backfilled a little of the ‘00) and a mag of the calon segur. Likely to buy a mag of the branaire. My goal is to give her and her big brother (born in 2014) 4-5 cases of different birth year wine. Don’t want to blow her allotment on bordeaus and want to get her some ducru
Will you adopt me?
Will you take good care of me when I am incapable of taking care of myself and give me grandchildren?

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5843
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#43 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 11th, 2019, 11:22 am

Great answer
ITB

R Greene
Posts: 38
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 4:22 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#44 Post by R Greene » May 11th, 2019, 4:54 pm

T.Phillips wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Jeff Leve wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Vince T wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:41 am


Jeff - I get that it's excellent, and a deal relative to comparably good "super seconds." I'll probably still buy, I was just hoping (optimistically) that it'd be sub-$100 and be another bargain of the vintage. Like Rauzan Segla in 2015 for $70 - i recently had my first taste and it was [wow.gif].

I'm curious if you think there are other standout QPR wines this year? Carmes? Rauzan Segla? I saw your note on Laroque - thanks for that tip.
There’s a lot of well-priced, high quality wines and several strong value wines. Best thing is for you to read my site and let me know if you have any questions.

Not trying to jump in this back and forth, just wanted to say thanks to Jeff for making his notes public via cellar tracker and for his website. His inclusion of tech notes/data in his tasting notes is invaluable to me in my decision, as it adds some objective data to a subjective tasting note. Something that I do not feel I get from almost any other professional critic regardless of palate alignment

Thanks Jeff

Couldn't agree more. I always appreciate that Jeff includes the technical data into his notes. I'm always surprised when other critics don't do this.
R y @ n

Chris Atkins
Posts: 158
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#45 Post by Chris Atkins » May 11th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Noah,

Was your sinus surgery a success I hope? I had surgery in 2006 and its amazing what a good surgeon can do for the olfactory senses. Terroir and precision come much more onto focus, while monster California Cabs, and the like, are no longer the wine of choice for me.

Regarding 2018 Bordeaux, I may pick up a few bottles of Leoville Las Cases, and a few bargains, but not much else. I still think 2016 will be the Vintage!

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2367
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#46 Post by NoahR » May 11th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Chris Atkins wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Noah,

Was your sinus surgery a success I hope? I had surgery in 2006 and its amazing what a good surgeon can do for the olfactory senses. Terroir and precision come much more onto focus, while monster California Cabs, and the like, are no longer the wine of choice for me.

Regarding 2018 Bordeaux, I may pick up a few bottles of Leoville Las Cases, and a few bargains, but not much else. I still think 2016 will be the Vintage!
Not sure yet. They had to totally reconstruct my septum and nasal valves in addition to the sinuses and polypectomy and surgery was last week so still very much in the thick of it. I’ve had a few moments of smell so at least know that my olfactory nerve is intact (which is not always the case). And my wife says my snoring is better, which is all the nasal valve repair. We shall see.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 624
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#47 Post by Jim F » May 11th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 6:27 am
NoahR wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:59 am
Jim F wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 4:42 am
The Farr Vintners site said something about a 25% volume reduction in the release vs 2017. Futures games I think, combined with the aforementioned “demand”.
I call bull$hit.

There is absolutely not a single large Bordeaux estate that can claim a right to inflate prices based on low yields. Scarcity is a joke. There is such a profound glut of Bordeaux that the negoce and houses have to hold it back and sell small tRanches to inflate demand.

Calon Segur is a 50+ hectare estate that makes about 20,000 cases per year. Compare that to anything in Napa or Burgundy.
Perhaps, but an interesting question when you look at potential demand. Calon Segur has a world market, and the demand is a multiple of what it would be for a California wine. Burgundy has tiny production, and we have all seen what has happened to prices for the more coveted producers.

I am not sure how much is being held back. A lot of wine from 2013, the really tough vintage to get rid of, has gone to local markets at knockdown prices, and the trade does like to keep some back for inventory. Rather than a glut of unsold wine, I am told that stocks are a little greater than normal, but nothing to worry about. I talked to two large houses, but the smaller ones with less cash reserves may be feeling the pinch.
Yes to this, and “demand” in the context I mentioned, maybe not clearly, includes the point-driven American market. So, sold out in some places. Last I looked, MacArthur’s still had it.
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Jeff Cassetta
Posts: 974
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#48 Post by Jeff Cassetta » May 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm

None, nope, nada...just took delivery of my last 6 btls of 2015...still haven't bought a 2016...I am strong...I am strong...I am strong...

PCLIN
Posts: 1306
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#49 Post by PCLIN » May 12th, 2019, 12:45 am

Caved in and bought some ‘18 Beychevelle in halves as I am loving the case of ‘66 just arrived from London few months ago, now I just need to wait for 30 years!
Chiu Lin

Panos Kakaviatos
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1178
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 11:36 am
Location: Strasbourg, France

Re: 2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

#50 Post by Panos Kakaviatos » May 12th, 2019, 2:28 am

PCLIN wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 12:45 am
Caved in and bought some ‘18 Beychevelle in halves as I am loving the case of ‘66 just arrived from London few months ago, now I just need to wait for 30 years!
The 2018 Beychevelle is excellent. OK, the prices have been going up partly due to the Asian market, but one of the best barrel samples I have tried in the last 15 years for this estate.
I am mainly based in Europe, and thanks for reading wine-chronicles(.)com

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”