Question about flying with a wine that has been sampled with a Coravin

Just got a model II and was curious since I am bringing 4 bottles on a flight for my Cuban cruise. My thinking is the added air pressure could push wine outwards. Anyone have experience? Thanks.

The pressure gradient should not be a problem, so long as the bottles are generally upright, especially during ascent between take-off and cruising altitude.

Hi Vic, hope you’re well.

Considering these are going into the luggage hold of the aircraft, it will be impossible to keep them upright. Gone are the ‘carry-on wine’ days.

no experience but who would anyway? but why check wine on a plane that has been Coravined? you must have other bottles [pillow-fight.gif]

1st world problems, jumped the shark, WTFCs

cheers

Wouldnt risk it. Not worth the hassle if something goes wrong. It wouldnt be nice if other peoples luggages got your wine on their properties either.

I would put them in a wine diaper (look it up) and check it in your regular luggage. Once in a wine diaper it will likely not fit in a shipper but maybe it will as that would be ideal. Otherwise I would probably pass. I have never had a bottle leak in a wine diaper but use them often as I typically only travel with a bottle or two. I did have a bottle of champagne break in my luggage once.

Interesting response. Thanks I guess.
Let me see, what if I were going to Cuba with my brother on a cruise ship that allowed wine to be brought on board and I wanted to bring something really special that Chuck Wagner did not make and I took it all the way to waters off Havana and it was corked? Maybe the Coravin could help stave off bringing one (or more!) corked wines 1700 miles. I have 4 very special bottles and a half ounce test would not seem so…first world to me, just a smart move. But thanks for playing and I will say hi to the shark when I see him.
I miss the old board.

On another note, I have hosted over 75 wine dinners in my time and I wish I had a Coravin to test soundness of bottles I brought. I think it is one of the best features of the Coravin. My buddies that had one and used it before those dinners never brought a corked wine to any of my dinners from miles away from their homes.

Mike, I’d also be concerned about leakage through the needle track.

I’d never heard of it before, but John’s suggestion of packing the bottles in your regular luggage with a wine diaper seems the best solution. Even if you lost an ounce or so from leakage during takeoff, it wouldn’t ruin your clothing and you’d still have the bulk of the wine left to share.

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Diaper-Original-Protective-Absorbent/dp/B00308FONW

Thanks to all the focused responses.
I will chance it and not Coravin.
Worst case is I dump and order the Meomi/Caymus/Spy Mountain from the list. Lol

exactly

QED

cheers

Why would you worry about the Coravin? The hole is so small and it’s sealed almost immediately by the cork, which expands to fill the space. That’s the purpose of cork. You would have the same issue with the space between the cork and the bottle wall. Seriously, I wouldn’t sweat it at all. And the idea of testing to make sure it’s not full of TCA isn’t a bad one - it never occurred to me but it makes perfect sense.

Also, if you’re really worried, put some Saran Wrap really tightly around the top of the bottle and tape it up.

But the pressure difference isn’t going to be all that much - just what makes your ears pop. Contrary to myth, cargo holds in most commercial planes are in fact pressurized. Unless a plane flies below 10,000 feet and the cargo contains no liquids and especially no pressurized liquids or aerosol containers, you have to pressurize the cargo hold. The floor of the passenger compartment isn’t strong enough to withstand pressure on top and not below. The circular shape of the fuselage makes it efficient at withstanding equal pressure, so it’s just easier to pressurize the cargo hold as well.

So again, I’d just go with your initial plan, which made good sense.

Or enjoy some of the local rum and margaritas!

Have a great time!

Groucho Marx: “I love my wine, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.”

But, then Rex Ryan always traveled with one suitcase that only held left footed ladies shoes, so you aren’t that crazy!

Sometimes the cork drips a bit after Coravin. How big a risk with a plane pressurized to around 8,000 ft? I have no idea. Not a huge pressure change, about 25% less. Might cause minor leakage. I wouldn’t worry about losing significant amounts of wine in case of a leak, but even a few ml could make a mess.

Anecdotally, I accidentally checked a bottle of Coravined Rhys Syrah once. I had grabbed it from the rack and didn’t notice/remember I had previously sampled it. Packed in a wine check, it arrived without issues. n of one.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate you taking the time.

Why does Pobega even own a Coravin? Doesn’t he just down each new bottle within a day of when it arrives?

Yeah I’ve also flown many Coravined bottles across country and haven’t had any problems.

Suggestion: How about using the Coravin on half the bottles, then evaluate the results when you get there and let the rest of us know how it worked in your controlled test?

Too ‘first world’ I guessing …