Pairing help. Fish Veracruz

I’ve yet to get a home run with pairing on this one.

so if you don’t know its a white fish (cod, snapper, etc) in a tomato based sauce with herbs, green olives, capers and jalapenos. Mildy spicy, but not overly so.

gamay? spatlese riesling? Young fruity merlot?
I dunno. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Any High acid Mediterranean white, bright rose, Barbera or other high acid, low tannin red. I think your gamay would work fine.

Ceritas Chardonnay

Great acidity!

It holds up to fish/tomato dishes.

Occhipinti SP68, either the white or red! White has broad orchard fruits, slight nuttiness, great sensation of salinity. The red is frappatto/nero d’avola and has great acidity, purple floral aromatics, and fresh fruit on the red side of the spectrum.

Funny. I’m making about the same dish now (whole rockfish on the Weber) and drinking Pilsner Urquell. I had a glass of Palmina white blend but will stick with the beer.

Wow, where do you get fresh rockfish? Jeally

I shoot them with a speargun or get them at the fisherman’s market. Here’s a pic of the two with about 20 minutes to go. Scored and slathered with evoo, garlic and black pepper, and stuffed with basil and meyer lemon slices.
rockfish.jpg

A good Sancerre.

The jalapeno throws me off, maybe a drier version of Lambrusco.

Albariño even an inexpensive one like Lagar de Cervera Albariño Rías Baixas would be great. Pairs well with grilled fish including spicy preparations.

Txakolina, either rose or white. Or rose cava

gamay? spatlese riesling? Young fruity merlot?

Man, those would be horrible. I don’t like sweetness or sweet fruit with fish.

I’d go with a fino sherry or Greek white, Albariño, Txakolina, Muscadet, or any really crisp white that has no RS.

Or of course, 2007 CdP.

Assyrtiko

Tocai Fruliano. St. Peray. Chateaunuef0du-Pape blanc. Stuff like that.

Those.

+1

My first choice would be Ian Brand’s Kristy Vineyard albarino…so far, my Berserker Day catch of the day.

In the future, this is what you’ll want [with the proviso that I have only had the 2015]:

Nals Margreid - Pinot Bianco Sirmian Alto Adige 2017 - Calvert Woodley Wines & Spirits

https://www.westgatewinestore.com/2015-Nals-Margried-Sirmian-Pinot-Bianco-_p_4146.html

In the Sirmian Pinot Bianco, Harald Schraffl has constructed a wine with relentless endurance, which bends but doesn’t break when confronted with the spicy stuff [to include vinegar], and which then regroups and bounces right back and envelopes the invading flavors & corrals them.

I don’t know that even the Pepiere Gorges could handle that combination of tomato sauce & jalapenos - the Gorges strikes me as too brittle for those flavors.

I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, and my best guess is that Schraffl is conjuring up some sort of stirring-of-the-lees voodoo in order to create that mouthfeel [both in the Sirmian Pinot Bianco & the Punggl Pinot Grigio].