Help to pick unusual wines

Need help picking a few bottles for a tasting, topic is very unusual places. Wines need to be reasonably available. So think Greece, Croatia etc. prefer dry wines so nothing overly sweet, can be red or white, sparkling is fine as well.

Royal Tokaji Dry Furmint
Musar Rose
Raats Cabernet Franc

Tannat from Uruguay

They probably even have some at Binny’s.

Plavic from Croatia is very nice and zinlike

You beat me to it. Was going to recommend bodegas Garzon from uruguay. Both tannat as well as their white wines are quite nice

The Albarino from Garzon is the best new world version I’ve tasted.

Wines from Slovenia by Movia, Edi Simcic and others are readily available and often quite tasty. They often use the popular European varieties, but Ribolla is less common, and a great white wine grape.

You ought to be able to find a Xinomavro from Alpha Estate, Boutari, or Thymiopoulos

There are places that have been spared from phylloxera like the island of Santorini and Colares. Slow food Ark of Taste has a few grapes on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_(grape)

If there’s a retailer you buy from with a good website and selection of this sort of wine, we could make specific suggestions from their inventory.

Alan Graillot does a Moroccan Syrah.

I recently tried a Yacoubian-Hobbs Areni Noir from Armenia, when I was in the US 3 weeks ago.

On that note, François Labet of Château de la Tour fame makes a fun Pinot Noir from grapes he grows in Corsica.

Assyrtiko from Santorni, eg Sigalas. Or is that no longer unusual location? :slight_smile:

Weingut Gross Sauvignon Blanc from Slovenia. I think that one does still count.

You can try some Armenian wines: Yacoubian-Hobbs (Paul Hobbs is partner) or Karas Age validation - KARAS Michel Rolland is consulting winemaker. Both have the Areni Noir grape varietal, which is very unique to Armenia and a distinct grape not related to anything else.

Zélige-Caravent Pour Toi Ma Belle is a white (blanc de noirs) Cinsault from Languedoc. It’s unusual and quite tasty.

Last time I tasted their Tannat (blind) it tasted like strawberry yoghurt and blueberry jam with very soft tannins. Nothing remotely Tannat there.

I’ve enjoyed pretty good wines from some “not the usual” places.
-Morocco. Surprising quality wine is produced in this Islamic country. Les Celliers de Meknes is one of the bigger players. Their Chateau Rousanne white and red are both good. Many others.
-Connecticut. Recently tasted some more than decent wines from Saltwater Farm.

Grab some Vranac from Macedonia (I like Stobi as a producer) if you can find it, or the same grape from Montenegro (probably harder to come by).

Me too. If you can find some Bodegas Carrau Amat or Ysern, get it. Very well made wines.

On the sweet side, if you can find some Banyuls Grand Cru with 10 years or more on them, they are an eye opener. They are my go to wine for pairing with chocolate.

Georgian wines are interesting - try a Mtsvane or a rkatsiteli skin-on fermented white, or a red made from sapaveri

Try some wines from Norway, Sweden or… Wales [cheers.gif]